Post subject: Re: Chess worlds teaches us a lesson
Post #21 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Knotwilg wrote:
You cannot say sports like American Football or Baseball are badly marketed (in the US). Yet in Europe nobody cares about them. Marketing is not everything.

Though perhaps they are growing a little: there were some NFL (American Football) games in Wembley (England's national football stadium) recently. I heard about it because there were concerns about them damaging the pitch for football games a few days later.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Uberdude wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:
You cannot say sports like American Football or Baseball are badly marketed (in the US). Yet in Europe nobody cares about them. Marketing is not everything.

Though perhaps they are growing a little: there were some NFL (American Football) games in Wembley (England's national football stadium) recently. I heard about it because there were concerns about them damaging the pitch for football games a few days later.

It's like big soccer teams going to the US for summer training matches: it's widening market(s) and market share.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:52 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 19
KGS: virre
DGS: virre
OGS: virre
Carlsen makes a big splash in Norway and splashes on to Sweden even. The Norweigan broadcasting hade live games (don't know if on TV or online, they where also webbroadcast on Swedish state televisions play site) with commentary, analysis, twitter contact with viewers (If I was Carlsen I would have played like this etc)

But I think the impact is mostly because good results, have chess in Norway become more popular due to Carlsen?

(And no I understand hardly nothing of chess. I am even worse at that then I am at Go)

Post #24 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:11 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
I agree with Pippen, although I think it is not 'just' a matter of the world championship.
Carlssen is not only very good at chess, but he also has appeal (to the ladies and youngsters) and for years FIDE marketed and promoted chess and Carlssen as Mr Chess Face. He is even sponsored by a fashion company. People (that is: Westerners) can relate to him.
The go community misses such a person, such a face, such an icon to which the public can relate, and it misses the worldwide organisation to support and promote him.

Post #25 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:28 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
sybob wrote:
I agree with Pippen, although I think it is not 'just' a matter of the world championship.
Carlssen is not only very good at chess, but he also has appeal (to the ladies and youngsters) and for years FIDE marketed and promoted chess and Carlssen as Mr Chess Face. He is even sponsored by a fashion company. People (that is: Westerners) can relate to him.
The go community misses such a person, such a face, such an icon to which the public can relate, and it misses the worldwide organisation to support and promote him.

How can you say no to this face?

This post by Abyssinica was liked by 5 people: DrStraw, goTony, jeromie, Monadology, tentano

Post #26 Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Abyssinica! That you?

This post by sybob was liked by: joellercoaster

Post #27 Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:19 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
We missed our chance if you want a go master who would attract the general Western people. The late Japanese master Fujisawa Hideyuki (Shuko) would fill the bill. He was a charismatic great champion, a drinker, a gambler and he made a lot of money in real estate. Unfortunately he died.

Last edited by gowan on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
gowan wrote:
We missed our chance if you want a go master who would attract the general Western people. The late Japanese master Fujisawa Hideyuki (Shuko) would fill the bill. He was a charasmatic great champion, a drinker, a gambler and he made a lot of money in real estate. Unfortunately he died.

That's why I chose him in that other thread about which pro you would want to play a casual game against.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
gowan wrote:
We missed our chance if you want a go master who would attract the general Western people. The late Japanese master Fujisawa Hideyuki (Shuko) would fill the bill. He was a charismatic great champion, a drinker, a gambler and he made a lot of money in real estate. Unfortunately he died.

P.S. I forgot to add womanizer to the list.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Probably worth pointing out that Carlsen has retained its title, after defeating Anand in the 11th game. I need to get better at chess someday :D

Post #31 Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
RBerenguel wrote:
Probably worth pointing out that Carlsen has retained its title, after defeating Anand in the 11th game. I need to get better at chess someday :D

Gone and made himself genderless, did he? That's real devotion to the game! :clap: :lol: ;-)

This post by Drew was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #32 Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:58 am 
Gosei

Drew wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

Gone and made himself genderless, did he? That's real devotion to the game! :clap: :lol: ;-)

XDDD too much chatting online with a Finn who neutralises all possession pronouns...

Post #33 Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:02 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 11
DrStraw wrote:
Well, I realize that, but the point I was making was that if chess is so big then I should have heard of them.

If you have even the slightest idea about chess and haven't heard about Carlsen then you should be worried. If you don't care at all then it's the same as someone not knowing Lee Sedol which is fine.

Post #34 Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:18 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
As I write (2014-11-30) I gather Kasparov is about to play two games of chess with shogi wizard Habu Yoshiharu in Tokyo. Kasparov estimates Habu is about 2500 Elo. Habu is also a decent go player. Not sure whether he can chew gum as well.

Post #35 Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:26 am 
Gosei

John Fairbairn wrote:
As I write (2014-11-30) I gather Kasparov is about to play two games of chess with shogi wizard Habu Yoshiharu in Tokyo. Kasparov estimates Habu is about 2500 Elo. Habu is also a decent go player. Not sure whether he can chew gum as well.

Nope, they were played quite a few hours ago (yesterday, actually, for GMT dwellers), Kasparov 2-0. Habu is officially 2400, but Kasparov rates him higher.

Edit: link is this: http://en.chessbase.com/post/kasparov-v ... ogi-legend

Post #36 Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:54 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 57
KGS: Codexus
DGS: Codexus
That was on Friday.

A 2 min video summary by NHK World (in English):
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/ ... 90218.html

Watch the replay of the whole event (mainly in Japanese but Kasparov speaks in English):
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv199645929

This post by Codexus was liked by: RBerenguel