It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting KGS Java applet to run on Google Chrome.
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
Today I just installed Google Chrome and Java Runtime Environment on my Ubuntu 14.04 desktop. Unfortunately, whenever I attempt to log on to KGS in Google Chrome, the login prompt does not display. On Firefox it does display, but the client does not pop-up. Does anyone here have a possible solution this problem? Much obliged in advance for your input.

Post subject: Re: Getting KGS Java applet to run on Google Chrome.
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:24 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
tekesta wrote:
Today I just installed Google Chrome and Java Runtime Environment on my Ubuntu 14.04 desktop. Unfortunately, whenever I attempt to log on to KGS in Google Chrome, the login prompt does not display. On Firefox it does display, but the client does not pop-up. Does anyone here have a possible solution this problem? Much obliged in advance for your input.

Can you be more specific about what is happening? Are you getting any warnings or anything? Note that Java is disabled by default in Chrome, so you have to take specific steps to enable it (google "NPAPI java chrome"). Note also that as of September, Chrome will not support Java in any way whatsoever, so Chrome is not really a platform for KGS for more than another few weeks.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:39 pm 
Lives in gote

quantumf wrote:
Can you be more specific about what is happening? Are you getting any warnings or anything? Note that Java is disabled by default in Chrome, so you have to take specific steps to enable it (google "NPAPI java chrome"). Note also that as of September, Chrome will not support Java in any way whatsoever, so Chrome is not really a platform for KGS for more than another few weeks.
When I go to the KGS applet page on Google Chrome, I get "This plugin is not supported". On Firefox, I am able to activate the plugin and log in, but the client doesn't show up, so I cannot be certain whether I am logged in or not. I will try other browsers to see if I can log into KGS through those.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
tekesta wrote:
quantumf wrote:
When I go to the KGS applet page on Google Chrome, I get "This plugin is not supported". On Firefox, I am able to activate the plugin and log in, but the client doesn't show up, so I cannot be certain whether I am logged in or not. I will try other browsers to see if I can log into KGS through those.

For chrome, to enable the plugin, you first have to enable NPAPI - see the instructions from Oracle here: https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

Regarding the problem on Firefox, where the desktop doesn't show after logging in, that's tougher. I doubt other browsers will help, but maybe. Easy enough to try. If not, try enabling java logging, run "javaws -viewer" and choose the advanced tab, then enable logging/tracing, and enable "show console". Then take a look at the log file that pops up. If you don't see anything obvious, post the whole thing here.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:16 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Don't use the browser to login. Just use the java web start client at https://www.gokgs.com/download.jsp or find cgoban-h.jar.

This post by oren was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:12 am 
Lives in gote

Hello everyone. I downloaded the CGoban client and that solved the problem. Thank you wholeheartedly for your input :)