It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why are Korean Go players so strong?
Post #21 Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:43 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Taiwan, of course. They have several 9ps, one of whom (Zhou Junxun) is the only one outside the big 3 to have won an international title. They sometimes beat Japan in team events.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: TheBigH

Post #22 Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:14 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
hyperpape wrote:
The last go census said that there were about as many go players in Korea as in China: http://web.archive.org/web/201105122106 ... ensus.html.

THAT is probably the key point. And related to the earlier point of Russia and chess. Though we should note that many of the smaller countries of what was once the USSR produce a disproportionately large number of high rank chess players. Those are cultures which play chess, where chess is important.

Look at the problem is reverse. Why, for example, are there no top go players from the US? Because darned few people play go. There are probably babies born here with the innate potential, but since they never play go (or chess for that matter) that is never discovered.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:47 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Mike Novack wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
The last go census said that there were about as many go players in Korea as in China: http://web.archive.org/web/201105122106 ... ensus.html.

THAT is probably the key point.

pwaldron wrote:
People who look for genetic or cultural reasons are kidding themselves...

I agree that population of go players has the largest impact on "go strength" as a country. I also agree, as pwaldron suggests, that people looking for genetic reasons for success in go are kidding themselves.

I disagree that cultural reasons play no role in success in go, and I think that ignoring cultural impact is naive.

To be clear, a country with a lot of go players will likely find its own way, since this is the most important factor. But we can learn from certain cultural perspectives on the game in ways that will make learning it more efficient.

Just my two cents, though, I'm sure people disagree with me in a thread like this.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 44
Universal go server handle: Jhyn
Kirby wrote:
I disagree that cultural reasons play no role in success in go, and I think that ignoring cultural impact is naive.

The simple fact that baduk is much more present in everyday life (movies, litterature...) and present in people's mind is a cultural aspect that I think no one would deny have a big impact on the quantity of top players.

But I think pwaldron was referring to the argument of the type "the country suffered a lot, so now they are good at baduk". I wonder why this didn't apply before the 80s, and also why this supremacy doesn't appear in, say, soccer or baseball (probably the most popular sports in South Korea).

Post #25 Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The history of modern go in Asian countries is interesting. In a sense Japan jump-started professional go in China and Korea. Professional go in both China and Korea benefited greatly from players going to Japan to study (Cho Nam Cheol, Cho Hun Hyun) and Japanese pros making teaching tours of China and Korea (Fujisawa Hideyuki and others).

Post #26 Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
The parents definitely have a big role as do successful national role models. Consider the rise of Korean women's golf. There are so many stories on this phenomenon that it's hard to choose any one source, but here are a couple that aren't too long:

http://www.puregolftraining.com/public/ ... olfers.cfm

http://www.worldgolf.com/column/why-kor ... r-5643.htm

Just having a lot of golfers goofing around casually is not enough, though it can't hurt. (Or maybe it does? If the set point is "pasttime" then people who take it very seriously might be accused of having priorities that are out of whack.) You need the infrastructure and cultural support for youth to have the chance (and urging) to pursue it seriously. The Koreans seem to be able to look at the success of a Pak Se-ri or Lee Changho, get inspired, and bootstrap things pretty quickly for the next generation.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:12 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Jhyn wrote:
But I think pwaldron was referring to the argument of the type "the country suffered a lot, so now they are good at baduk". I wonder why this didn't apply before the 80s, and also why this supremacy doesn't appear in, say, soccer or baseball (probably the most popular sports in South Korea).

Well, in the spirit of old threads -- Go and baseball don't mix (=

But on a more serious note, I agree with Calvin: For other sports it is the same combination of numbers and culture, only this time stacked against Korea. There are about as many youth playing organized baseball in the US as there are youth in South Korea*. Additionally it takes a few generations to build up a culture for something. If you take a shine to baseball in the US, you are likely only 1 or 2 steps removed from a "very strong" player who can help you (e.g. a relative or family friend likely played in college or similar). Korea may not have had the time to fully build up this talent base, limiting their success. You have a few prodigies who have the combination of talent and luck to excel (you have to be good and know someone), but on the whole its hard. It will continue to get easier though, as the baseball culture builds more "alumni".

This effect was somewhat seen in baduk as well. You had a lag phase (60s-80s) where only "lucky" prodigies could excel, both talented and happen to get noticed by the right people(ex: Seo BongSoo and Cho HyunHyeon). Eventually the culture has built up to the point where you can have an explosion of talent (90s-00s) because the luck factor dramatically drops (there are many more strong players capable of recognizing and nurturing talent).

*Between 4 and 5 million under the age of twelve. There are a similar number of youth players in Venezuela, which is well known for producing a lot of good players.

This post by Mef was liked by: Jhyn

Post #28 Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 am 
Lives with ko

Mef wrote:

Those are two fantastic posts hidden in a hideous thread, diamonds in the rough. Is there any place to recommend posts for a "best of L19"?

Post #29 Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:18 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Jhyn wrote:
Mef wrote:

Those are two fantastic posts hidden in a hideous thread, diamonds in the rough. Is there any place to recommend posts for a "best of L19"?
I think there was something like that once...but I can't recall what it was called.

Post #30 Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:40 pm 
Honinbo

Jhyn wrote:
Kirby wrote:

The simple fact that baduk is much more present in everyday life (movies, litterature...) and present in people's mind is a cultural aspect that I think no one would deny have a big impact on the quantity of top players.

Culture is a broad and complicated concept. It affects the thought process of people living in that environment.

I can't say that I understand culture well enough to say that a country's history of suffering is related to the level of Go in that country. On the other hand, I don't understand it well enough to say definitively that there is no relationship, either.

For example, in Korea, there's this concept of "Han" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_(cultural)). From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
Han denotes a collective feeling of oppression and isolation in the face of insurmountable odds.

Obviously, I don't know if this feeling results in an improved Go skill. But it probably impacts the thought process and persona of individuals in Korea. Does a constant "feeling of isolation in face of insurmountable odds" make you better prepared to play Go?

Maybe not, but I'd argue that nobody here can say "definitely not".

"Han" is just one small example of the complexity which is called "culture". But since culture is so big and so complex, I find it hard to believe that the collective feelings one acquires from their cultural background has no effect on their thought processes, decision processes, ability to study effectively, and more.

Does this mean that people from other cultures cannot do the same things to excel at Go? Certainly not. But practically speaking, these small and seemingly unrelated aspects of culture affect the decisions and actions you ultimately end up taking. You can overcome these influences. But they are still there.

Post #31 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:36 am 
Lives with ko

Let me begin by saying that this was a well-reasoned and balanced post and a pleasure to read.

Overall, I am in complete agreement with you. My previous post was more of a simplistic (over)reaction to the tendency to see direct and simple causal links in matters which are, in my opinion, much more subtle.

Culture at the scale of a country is affected by many outside events and these effects, through education and media, spread through generations in a kind a "butterfly effect". It seems obvious to me that the Japanese occupation, the Korean war, and Cho Chikun's victory in the 1968 pro qualification tournament against Kosugi Masaru, all had a lasting and structural effect on Korean Baduk.

My point is that these effects are mostly unquantifiable and it is easy to overestimate the importance of any single one of them as an "obvious" fact that would not need any argumentation. Your example about "Han" is interesting and food for thought, but as you recognize it yourself, we shouldn't use it as a poor man's "Theory of Everything" and pretend it is the explanation of (to come back to the initial topic) why Korean players are so strong.

Post #32 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am 
Honinbo

I guess we agree have similar thoughts on the topic.