It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do some people never reach shodan
Post #221 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:33 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
JoeS1, I reply in these threads:
(books)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13696
(teaching)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13697
(go communities)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13698

Post #222 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Hello JoeS1,
While I do understand some of your remarks, I want to share my experience and impression about the go community.

I think, both in real life as on line on KGS, the go community overall is pretty friendly. Most people, also dans and high dans, seem very helpful to me. On this forum too. Both at the club (in Europe) and on KGS, you can ask questions, play teaching games, have your games reviewed, etc, in my experience. Sorry to hear you see things differently. Don't let an incident you may have had trouble your general view towards go.

Post #223 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
JoeS1 wrote:
The books don't have to be dan level. They could be sort of intermediate level around 3-5 kyu KGS minimum and stronger.

I imagine that there are a lot of intermediate level books in English. You might check with daal, who has a library of some 70 go books. :) (See viewtopic.php?p=211237#p211237 )

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #224 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:13 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
Shenoute wrote:
Hello JoeS1 and welcome to the forum!

While I agree that more book reviews would be welcome, there are many things in your posts I rather disagree with, I hope this post doesn't come off as pretentious or the like. :-)
I'm just going to cut the message so the post isn't so long.

I haven't read Attack and Defense in a long time so I can't say. I can just say that you can spend a few examples on concepts like urgent vs big, but that doesn't seem to mean you will completely understand it. I never feel like I do anyway. I always have questions and what ifs. I figure spending more time on each concept and the nuances of it along with more problems makes sense to try and master fundamental concepts. You can practice them by playing games, but then you don't necessarily know if you're always doing them right or perhaps they are rare concepts you never get to practice much. Those examples you learned and practiced might not show up except in the rare game as well. There may be other examples of sabaki or aji that you've never seen before for example. I don't know, maybe others can just take a look at a couple examples of a concept and begin applying it in creative ways they haven't learned, but I don't think I've ever been able to do that.

The only reason I would be against handicap games for a book like that is because in an even game the amateur gets to play josekis you would see in even games. The sides would also be open for normal play. This would be great for review purposes and analyzing amateur play and finding overall weaknesses. The professionals could point out whether they made a mistake with choosing a bad joseki based on the whole board, or whether or not they made an error and seeing how it plays out. With handicap games you lose that, and they typically always play the same as well when you get into the 6-9 stone range. Same sort of play in the corners. Same whole board fight where black tries to attack white's stones and white tries to make eyes then counter attack by cutting black's stones and killing something. The amateur also has the option of playing it safe by enclosing two corners while white approaches two corners. So it just makes sense to me to play even games in that situation.

About Ishi Press books: I've always kind of thought that the reason people in KGS don't fight as much and play it safe was due to the 30-40 year old books on the market. That's why I was thinking more updated books from Koreans and/or Chinese would be better, considering they are on top right now and never afraid to fight. But you go to WBaduk and Tygem, and the style is different. Even weak kyu players fight like crazy. Many have thousands of games, and they can sometimes be very accurate with reading, but they have no sort of strategic or fundamental knowledge on how to put it altogether.

Last edited by JoeS1 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #225 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:33 am 
Dies in gote

Uberdude wrote:
About recent dan-level books, are you aware of Lee Sedol's commentaries, the 2 Shuko 'Only Move' books, Ma Xiaochun's 36 Stratagems, Relentless, John Fairbairn's Go Seigen series, Takao's new joseki dictionaries, Kim Sung Rae's 21st century opening series, Hinoki press? Some of those commentary books are not so much dan-only theory but I think dans can learn plenty from them but in a less spoon-fed 'here's the theory' way. For dan-level problem books they don't really need to be in English (though there are a few more like Yilun Yang's) and Asian ones like Lee Changho's series or classical collections do the job fine. As for a wish list of dan-level theory books, I'd like things like "The timing of 3-3 invasions". I've done sdk lectures on that topic; I'm sure one could write a fascinating 200-page dan-level book on the subject, but is there a market to make it worthwhile?
I'm not really dan level. I'd be about 2-3 Kyu KGS atm. I've just thought a lot about this subject and how I can improve, and why others seem to stall as well and never improve.

I'm aware of some of those books. When you refer to the Hinoki press books are you talking about The Heart of Go Disocvery series? I think I've read some reviews on it but don't think it was highly recommended at all. I don't know much about Takao's new Joseki Series. I'm not very knowledgeable about joseki. Don't think I'm familiar with Kim Sung Rae's 21st century opening series. What do you mean by Lee Changho's series, and classical collections? Are you just talking about reading and life and death problems?

If you guys have books to recommend that stand out and are superior to others in their subject or must reads for those close to shodan or slightly above it go ahead. I didn't expect a bunch of dan level players to respond to my post. So feel free to let me know what you recommend. I'll take a look and see if I can afford those books.

Bill Spight wrote:
JoeS1 wrote:
The books don't have to be dan level. They could be sort of intermediate level around 3-5 kyu KGS minimum and stronger.

I imagine that there are a lot of intermediate level books in English. You might check with daal, who has a library of some 70 go books. :) (See http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... 37#p211237 )
Yeah I don't want to fall into that trap. That's why I just want an intermediate and/or an advanced set of books that cover everything. I know there are like commentaries and classic books out there, but those seem something that can be hit or miss and something of a luxury you might want to get when dan level, but I don't know maybe a lot of commentary books on pro games is where to go at 1+ dan. I can understand his frustration with not knowing how to study it and absorb it all. Not to mention always buying books looking for that book that's going to shed some light on the game like the classic beginner books we all bought did.

Post #226 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:07 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
JoeS1

Have you considered doing an extensive review of a pro, such as was suggested by John Fairbairn earlier? I think you place a significant emphasis on books, and while the English literature on Go may be lacking, I don't think it's insufficient. Also, to the point of dan-level players, I don't see the same thing in the community - there are several very strong dan players who are focused on providing content that is easily accessible to the broader community. The surge in the past couple of years on YouTube for example. My personal experience with other players have been mostly positive, including having a few random reviews by Starstorm (which were incredible).

I think there's definitely a barrier to get to dan level, though my thought is that its mostly a time/effort thing for most people (myself included). I don't think additional high-level books will solve the problem, as you still need to spend time studying. There's no "quick-fix," just a slow, grueling grind (unless you happen to be one of those players where everything just clicks...).

Post #227 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:52 am 
Honinbo

JoeS1 wrote:
I'm not really dan level. I'd be about 2-3 Kyu KGS atm. I've just thought a lot about this subject and how I can improve, and why others seem to stall as well and never improve.

Bill Spight wrote:
JoeS1 wrote:

I imagine that there are a lot of intermediate level books in English. You might check with daal, who has a library of some 70 go books. :) (See viewtopic.php?p=211237#p211237 )
Yeah I don't want to fall into that trap.

I wouldn't call it a trap. daal has learned a good bit of go knowledge and even plays creatively. :) He knows quite enough to make shodan, IMHO. Not everything is in books.

Quote:
That's why I just want an intermediate and/or an advanced set of books that cover everything.

I was fortunate when I was around 4 kyu that both Takagawa and Sakata had published such sets. Sakata's whole set was still in print not too many years ago, which speaks to its quality. Some of the set was translated into English, Tesuji and Anti-suji of Go and Killer of Go. The other volumes address fuseki, joseki, and tsumego and yose. Sakata combines tsumego and yose in the same volume, which was traditional, I believe. That's not quite everything, but those topics offer a good foundation. And pro games have everything, OC. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #228 Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:55 pm 
Dies in gote

sparky314 wrote:
JoeS1

Have you considered doing an extensive review of a pro, such as was suggested by John Fairbairn earlier? I think you place a significant emphasis on books, and while the English literature on Go may be lacking, I don't think it's insufficient. Also, to the point of dan-level players, I don't see the same thing in the community - there are several very strong dan players who are focused on providing content that is easily accessible to the broader community. The surge in the past couple of years on YouTube for example. My personal experience with other players have been mostly positive, including having a few random reviews by Starstorm (which were incredible).

I think there's definitely a barrier to get to dan level, though my thought is that its mostly a time/effort thing for most people (myself included). I don't think additional high-level books will solve the problem, as you still need to spend time studying. There's no "quick-fix," just a slow, grueling grind (unless you happen to be one of those players where everything just clicks...).

I replay pro games quite often on GoKifu. I've replayed so many pro games that I can pretty much follow the games and subconsciously know the direction the game is heading in and what pros are trying to do. Even the fusekis are somewhat similar in many pro games until they change it a bit, then many pros play the new fuseki movies. I just can't predict the moves exactly or far enough. My timing is also not always right. But even saying that, it doesn't seem to translate when playing amateurs. As they play weird moves that typically look bad to me. Or to my subconscious tells me they look bad, but I can't typically read how to punish them.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a trap. daal has learned a good bit of go knowledge and even plays creatively. :) He knows quite enough to make shodan, IMHO. Not everything is in books.

I just mean the trap of spending all that money and not improving at all. I'm very cheap and frugal. If I see one or two bad reviews, I'm very wary of purchasing something.

About the older Japanese books. I can't help thinking the reason the style on KGS is so passive and peaceful is because of studying those books and learning from them. The style on WBaduk and Tygem is so much different. More fighting, more punishing of bad moves or weak stones by attacking. I've just always thought the older Japanese style was a bit outdated and obsolete. That's why I was talking about more modern Korean or Chinese books that discuss new discoveries and approaches in Go. I think the Dictionary of Shape book which was about 400-500 pages if I remember right, was only 1 volume out of a set of something like 20 volumes. That's why I picked up that idea about books focusing on one or two concepts and delving deeply into it so you could master it. Because it seemed to make sense after reading that book.

Post #229 Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 am 
Honinbo

JoeS1 wrote:
About the older Japanese books. I can't help thinking the reason the style on KGS is so passive and peaceful is because of studying those books and learning from them. The style on WBaduk and Tygem is so much different. More fighting, more punishing of bad moves or weak stones by attacking. I've just always thought the older Japanese style was a bit outdated and obsolete.

You have a good point there. :) However, Sakata was no proponent of a peaceful style. As you may imagine from a series called Killer of Go. ;) That may be one reason that that series has lasted so well.

The placidity of Western go was a feature when I was learning go. True, Japanese pros in general had a relatively placid style. Go Seigen said, "Go is harmony." Takagawa felt that the best way to win was without fighting. (I like to win that way, too. It indicates that I understood the game better than my opponent, I think. ;)) However, most Japanese amateur dan players were scrappers. They mostly got strong by out-fighting their opponents, not by studying books. Western dan players did not usually have much competition. They typically got strong by studying books. The general opinion then seemed to be that bookishness lends itself to placid play, and I think that that is so.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #230 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
JoeS1 wrote:
I haven't read Attack and Defense in a long time so I can't say. I can just say that you can spend a few examples on concepts like urgent vs big, but that doesn't seem to mean you will completely understand it. I never feel like I do anyway. I always have questions and what ifs. I figure spending more time on each concept and the nuances of it along with more problems makes sense to try and master fundamental concepts. You can practice them by playing games, but then you don't necessarily know if you're always doing them right or perhaps they are rare concepts you never get to practice much. Those examples you learned and practiced might not show up except in the rare game as well. There may be other examples of sabaki or aji that you've never seen before for example. I don't know, maybe others can just take a look at a couple examples of a concept and begin applying it in creative ways they haven't learned, but I don't think I've ever been able to do that.

Yes I agree with that, that's why in my mind books are important but can only carry you so far. They can be a good introduction to a concept but practice is what is needed afterwards, and comments by a stronger player are key here. Still, there is quite a wealth of material (some of it free) ou there that repays close study.

JoeS1 wrote:
(...) With handicap games you lose that, and they typically always play the same as well when you get into the 6-9 stone range. Same sort of play in the corners. Same whole board fight where black tries to attack white's stones and white tries to make eyes then counter attack by cutting black's stones and killing something. (...)
As for handicap games, I think I agree too :-) Where we seem to differ is that it is precisely this repetitive aspect that makes them a great teaching tool. If the weaker player can't learn to attack properly in a position where possible moves are not so numerous, it would probably be harder to learn it in an even game where so many moves are available for thought.

JoeS1 wrote:
About Ishi Press books: I've always kind of thought that the reason people in KGS don't fight as much and play it safe was due to the 30-40 year old books on the market. That's why I was thinking more updated books from Koreans and/or Chinese would be better, considering they are on top right now and never afraid to fight. But you go to WBaduk and Tygem, and the style is different. Even weak kyu players fight like crazy. Many have thousands of games, and they can sometimes be very accurate with reading, but they have no sort of strategic or fundamental knowledge on how to put it altogether.
Yes, Tygem can be quite a shock to people who think that playing calmly is the only way :-) As for older books, I think it would still be a mistake to underestimate its value but yes, I can see your point about having more modern material. Incidentally, a friend of mine has been given the advice (by a Chinese pro) to replay games by Japanese top players from the 1980's/1990's because their style is easier to understand and learn from (at least that's how I understood the explanation).

Post #231 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Shenoute wrote:
Yes, Tygem can be quite a shock to people who think that playing calmly is the only way :-)

I've been playing on Tygem for quite some time now (33 games) and I've found it much softer than KGS. I have a 30-3 record on Tygem as a 3d, so probably am waiting for a 4-5d rank to materialize. I'm winning by either playing calmly or because my opponents chicken out of a fight. I can be quite a reckless fighter myself and I've never felt punished by opponents, not even by going into a fight we both don't know the outcome of and then being unlucky. Yesterday I lost my first game since long and it was purely because I hallucinated that one of my major groups was alive and had been playing accordingly.

On KGS on the other hand, I'm playing as a 1d and opponents are much less forgiving for overplays or meek plays. I find in general there is much more fighting on KGS than on tygem. Maybe I'm just meeting the wrong players or I will only encounter those legendary wild tygem fighters when I'm 5d.

Hypothesis: Western amateurs tend to prematurely think that spheres of influence are territory. Real territory cannot be contested but moyos can. So perhaps on KGS opponents "group think" about moyo being territory while on tygem they invade (and rightly so). I'm playing rather territorial style these days, influenced by dwyrin. Real territory cannot be invaded, so there's no wild fighting going on there.

Post #232 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:51 am 
Lives in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
I'm winning by either playing calmly or because my opponents chicken out of a fight.

Well, I dont' know, I find players on Tygem to be much more aggressive than players on KGS so I'm a bit surprised about the chickening out. But of course I agree with the play calmly strategy, only it is not always possible when the opponent invades every extension you make :-)

And maybe your experience is also due to being underranked there.

Post #233 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:45 am 
Honinbo

Shenoute wrote:
Yes, Tygem can be quite a shock to people who think that playing calmly is the only way :-)

Knotwilg wrote:
I'm winning by either playing calmly or because my opponents chicken out of a fight.

Shenoute wrote:
Well, I dont' know, I find players on Tygem to be much more aggressive than players on KGS so I'm a bit surprised about the chickening out. But of course I agree with the play calmly strategy, only it is not always possible when the opponent invades every extension you make :-)

And maybe your experience is also due to being underranked there.

In the FWIW department, as a beginner I tried to kill everything in sight. :rambo: ;) But by the time I became 3 dan I had developed a thick, miai-ish style. My favorite opponents were the over aggressive ones, because all I had to do was wait for the overplay. ;) :cool: My thickness made the subsequent fighting a bit easier for me than for my opponent. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #234 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:52 am 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
In the FWIW department, as a beginner I tried to kill everything in sight. :rambo: ;) But by the time I became 3 dan I had developed a thick, miai-ish style. My favorite opponents were the over aggressive ones, because all I had to do was wait for the overplay. ;) :cool: My thickness made the subsequent fighting a bit easier for me than for my opponent. :D

Sure, I do too :-). My comment about "people thinking that playing calmly is the only way" referred more to people that constantly label agressive moves as "overplays", think they deserve to win the game because they play a better fuseki ("like the pros you know") and that relying on fighting strength, reading power and messing things up in the middle game is kind of a lower sort of go. To that I generally reply that if both your opponent and yourself have the same, stable rank there's no reason he should lose more than half of the games, whatever his style or weaknesses.

This post by Shenoute was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #235 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Knotwilg wrote:
Hypothesis: Western amateurs tend to prematurely think that spheres of influence are territory. Real territory cannot be contested but moyos can. So perhaps on KGS opponents "group think" about moyo being territory while on tygem they invade (and rightly so). I'm playing rather territorial style these days, influenced by dwyrin. Real territory cannot be invaded, so there's no wild fighting going on there.

I know that spheres of influence are not territory, but I nonetheless always have a sinking feeling when they get invaded. The problem is that while I have been building my moyo, my opponent has been securing territory, so when he invades successfully, he has his territory and I often have squat.

Post #236 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
daal wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

I know that spheres of influence are not territory, but I nonetheless always have a sinking feeling when they get invaded. The problem is that while I have been building my moyo, my opponent has been securing territory, so when he invades successfully, he has his territory and I often have squat.

When opponent invades you can attack for profit and create territory or kill their groups. Or if you can't make territory you make walls which at some point are used ether to attack or to build territory.

Post #237 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
daal wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

If this is happening frequently and you're not able to get compensation, it's also possible that you are waiting too long to turn the moyo into territory.

Post #238 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
In this game review I'm trying to highlight differences in thinking between "kyus" and "dans", or rather "when I was considerably weaker than I am now" vs "the way I'm thinking now".

I'll use "kyus" and "dans" for the sake of brevity without any derogatory or self indulging purpose (well, maybe, a little bit :) )

In particular, there are certain forms of profit kyus don't "see".
I'll talk about what I consider to be spheres of influence and what is actually territory to my eyes.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: sparky314

Post #239 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:18 am 
Honinbo

daal wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

Instead of that sinking feeling -- "You've lost that sinking feeling". Good song. ;) -- you should feel elated. The whole point of building up moyo while your opponent plods along is to force him to invade. Otherwise, you would plod along, too. :) Once he invades, you have something to attack. Banzai! :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

OK, so you may lack confidence in your ability to attack. The remedy is simple. Attack! Attack! Attack!
Danton wrote:
De l'audace! Encore de l'audace! Toujours de l'audace!

BTW, "the whole point" was an overstatement, but you get that, I'm sure. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #240 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Krama wrote:
daal wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

When opponent invades you can attack for profit and create territory or kill their groups. Or if you can't make territory you make walls which at some point are used ether to attack or to build territory.

You make it sound like a simple proposition. I'm with daal, in that when I get thickness in exchange for territory, it never seems to work for me at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next