All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Petty Complaints and Anxieties
Post #61 Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:02 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 4
often wrote:
Let's take this apart:

Well, my usual complaint remains, ... , the absurd elitism of the players. Perhaps I am the elitist here, for not taking someone's amazing talent seriously enough.
I'm not sure where this complaint is coming from with examples in this first post.

However, I have always felt that there was a certain nightmare quality of taking something fun, and then exalting it to the point where it is no longer fun anymore. [...] I suppose these anxieties come from being told that I was fairly good at the game. I just started playing a lot though, maybe a year ago. I feel like I don't understand the game at all.
So you were told you were very good at the game, but now you are running into issues learning the game. Sounds like a common problem. If your issue is progression then start with a teacher, getting teaching games, or some books.

Even when I win I don't quite understand the strategy that I used, because I play intuitively and quickly. I also don't know if it was the right strategy, or what strategy is even going on.
So you don't spend enough time figuring out the moves, and then you wonder why you played moves that you don't understand.

All in all I think you're answering your own problems in this post.

First one: Ah, not sure? Have you seen Hikaru No Go? That kid Touya Akira is the most amazing brat ever. He only cares about Go so much he doesn't realize that having friends to play with is important, he's rich and adulated and amazing at Go, so he doesn't even realize that he's lonely. But this is a real representation of Japan. That's the little boy I would have to look up to, or some form of him. I speak a teeny bit of japanese. I've thought of studying it seriously instead of just learning words here and there from watching subtitled cartoons, horror movies, and samurai movies, but Japan is so far away...

second one: My issue is the nightmarish quality of exalting something to the point where it isn't fun anymore. Which you all defended admirably, it is still fun.

Ah, you analyzed that last one too quickly. No, my complaint was that Even while placing stones on the board, even if I win, I don't understand why I put them in that spot completely. It's like, I'll make a puzzle, and it'll look interesting, but I have no idea how I did it. I was wondering if other people ever felt this way, or if they absolutely knew how they did it. But it can't be to a certain extent, because the placement of the stones also depends on your understanding of the opponent's intentions. If you misread his stones, you lose. Read the stones. Ever heard Tommy? It's a rock opera by the Who about a deaf dumb and blind boy who is good at pinball.

Post #62 Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:25 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 81
KGS: often
First one: Ah, not sure? Have you seen Hikaru No Go? [...] But this is a real representation of Japan.
No, it's an anime. there's a difference. I suggest you not generalize a nation based on a cartoon.

Again, this doesn't have anything to do with the "absurd elitism" of go players. Perhaps the people you are interacting with might feel they are better than you, but I don't think you're going to benefit from characterizing us all like such.

That's the little boy I would have to look up to, or some form of him.
Not exactly, you can look up to plenty of more interesting real life figures in go.

Why not pattern yourself after Chou Chun-Hsun, who over came a facial disfigurement to become one of Asia's top go players? His story is pretty impressive and amazing.

My issue is the nightmarish quality of exalting something to the point where it isn't fun anymore. Which you all defended admirably, it is still fun.
I didn't defend that, and just because others do means that you have to as well.

If what you're referring to is the "depth" of Go to which we discuss it, then that happens with any hobby. There isn't many hobbies out there that are shallow that everybody enjoys. Things that take awhile to learn and have a lot to offer usually are what people gravitate to. Furthermore, you're on a forum dedicated towards Go. I'm not sure what you were expecting otherwise.

No, my complaint was that Even while placing stones on the board, even if I win, I don't understand why I put them in that spot completely. It's like, I'll make a puzzle, and it'll look interesting, but I have no idea how I did it.

Even when I win I don't quite understand the strategy that I used, because I play intuitively and quickly.
Like I said, spend more time thinking about your moves and this problem won't happen. If you don't understand what you're doing, you'll understand the result even less.

I was wondering if other people ever felt this way, or if they absolutely knew how they did it. But it can't be to a certain extent, because the placement of the stones also depends on your understanding of the opponent's intentions. If you misread his stones, you lose.
On every level, there will always be something outside of your grasp. But that doesn't mean you can't control and play something you can understand.

My suggestion is to continue pursuing and playing Go if you want. A lot of the issues you are experiencing will go away with time.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #63 Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Abyssinica wrote:
EdLee wrote:
darWIN wrote:
I've never touched the stuff, but apparently a possible side effect is becoming an Asian.
Not sure what this means. :scratch:

Doing lsd makes you think you are Asian.
Uhm, no.

I can attest that this is not necessarily so :cool: Or is there a minimum dose or number of trips one has to have taken for this to happen? I guess even then I’ll be able to attest again ;-)

Anyway … NONE of the acidheads I’ve known came to believe they were Asian. Many had some affinity to Eastern philosophies, though, but most of them already had it before tripping <shrug>

Greetz, Tom

Last edited by Bonobo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Bonobo was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #64 Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
Have you tried listening to "Turning Japanese" at the same time? :ugeek:

This post by Abyssinica was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, joellercoaster

Post #65 Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:56 pm 
Oza

Abyssinica wrote:
Have you tried listening to "Turning Japanese" at the same time? :ugeek:

Heh, no, but thanks for pointing me towards a band and their music that I didn’t know :-)

The rest in hide tags so as not to <cough> disrupt this thread any further. I still have some popcorn.

Oddly, people on that YT page are discussing whether this song is about masturbation :roll:

Anyway, no, I don’t think I’d want to listen to this when tripping—I mean, even in a “normal” (oxymoron for me) state of mind listening to this once seems enough for a lifetime. I’d rather listen to the natural sounds that are in the air … the sound of Brownian Motion, the buzzing of insects, the song of the birds, the rustling of leaves … But I don’t even know when—or whether at all—I’ll ever go on such a journey again. Life’s “exciting” enough currently.

BTW my “trip music” way back then were Pink Floyd, the early Genesis, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant and lots of older hippy music …

Greetz, Tom

Post #66 Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 153
Was liked: 41
Universal go server handle: happysocks
Bonobo wrote:
The rest in hide tags so as not to <cough> disrupt this thread any further.

Have to admit kind of lost track of the discussion...

...but I can heartily recommend this for a healthy trip:

This post by happysocks was liked by: Bonobo

Post #67 Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:32 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 13
KGS: MightyQuin
Abyssinica wrote:

It made me think i was an eskimo.

This post by Mighty Quinn was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, ez4u, TheBigH

Post #68 Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:04 pm 
Oza

Mighty Quinn wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:

It made me think i was an eskimo.

<jumps for joy>

This post by Bonobo was liked by: TheBigH

Post #69 Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
I 'ain't seen nothing like it.

This post by TheBigH was liked by: Bonobo

Post #70 Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:11 pm