It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Go and AI
Post #21 Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
Codexus wrote:
I think in this context it was meant as "it can play the game as well as human champions". At least this the claim I have been hearing lately: that within a few years, computers will beat humans at go.

The new piece of the puzzle is the so called "deep learning". From what I have seen so far that seems to be the same as good old neural networks but apparently now they work much better. After training them with a large data set of human games, they are apparently not bad at predicting the likely next move.

That alone does not make a go AI that is stronger than current programs. But the idea would be to combine that with the Monte-Carlo Tree Search algorithm used in the current generation of go AIs. So basically instead of playing random games, the MCTS would use the neural network to get its candidate moves. Which could possibly result in a pro level go AI according to some people. (that seems a bit of a leap of faith to me but it's possible)

In that sense, the way to build a champion level go AI has been almost solved from a research point of view, and all that's left is some software engineering to actually combine the parts :)

I'm not entirely convinced this is the end of the story...

This is what I was also thinking about.

Since we can say the network can guess the correct move (one played by pros) 55% of the time. Then why not order the network to give us let's say 5 moves. If the correct move is found 55% of the time in 5 moves there is a 95% chance that one of those moves would be played by a pro. With 10 moves selected it goes into 99.75% but it would probably be an overkill and slow the whole process down.

So asking a network to give us top 5 moves, we can be pretty certain that we get a correct move. However if we repeat this process with let's say 125 turns (if we take that an average game lasts 250 moves) then something bad happens. In 6 turns out of those 125 you get all wrong moves. However if you increase the number of moves you get from the network to 10 then you can pretty much be certain that you will get at least one of those 10 correct through the whole game. However I still have so much things on my mind that can prove this method not so good but I just can't bother to write another walls of text. Maybe in the next couple of days I find some time to write some other ideas on how to improve go AI.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
They deliver: viewtopic.php?f=9&p=198123#p198123

Time to pay up palapiku? ;-)

Post #23 Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
Krama wrote:

Since we can say the network can guess the correct move (one played by pros) 55% of the time. Then why not order the network to give us let's say 5 moves. If the correct move is found 55% of the time in 5 moves there is a 95% chance that one of those moves would be played by a pro. With 10 moves selected it goes into 99.75% but it would probably be an overkill and slow the whole process down...................

You are missing something (misunderstanding "right move" and "wrong move")

There (usually) isn't ONE move made by pros (for most of the moves in a game). A neural net is trained on the records of actual games played by pros. When you say 55% that's the move made in that situation by that pro. But when it returns some different move, that's the wrong prediction (of what the pro did in that game) but NOT necessarily the wrong move. Not necessarily a BAD move. A little thought and you would realize that on at least move in each game between top pros a mistake was made (somebody lost, didn't they). So even when the neural net returned the "right move" (the move the pro made) that might actually be a "wrong move" (in terms of the game).

So a modification that returned five moves (that set of five moves) might have a high probability for the set to contain the best move. MCTS could be applied to the five.

Post #24 Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:57 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
No need to be condescending.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #25 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
I feel heartwarming, because you know what, Demis Hassabis, your go disciple, is honest about his word, he deliver it at the beginning of 2016, and I hope he'll close the case (by beating the current champ, not Lee Sedol) in 2016 as well.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
pookpooi wrote:
I feel heartwarming, because you know what, Demis Hassabis, your go disciple, is honest about his word, he deliver it at the beginning of 2016, and I hope he'll close the case (by beating the current champ, not Lee Sedol) in 2016 as well.

Thanks for the kind words.

If AlphaGo can establish some sort of claim to be in the 4p to 7p bracket, then the whole business of computer go is clearly changed. One victory against Lee Sedol that wasn't decided by a blunder might do that.

So far I think we know the program has "talent", and is worth watching from a spectator's point of view.

Post #27 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:11 am 
Lives in sente

Charles Matthews wrote:
pookpooi wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.

If AlphaGo can establish some sort of claim to be in the 4p to 7p bracket, then the whole business of computer go is clearly changed. One victory against Lee Sedol that wasn't decided by a blunder might do that.

So far I think we know the program has "talent", and is worth watching from a spectator's point of view.

Actually, I'm glad that I didn't read this topic back in 2015, cause I might reply with something like 'I don't believe you'

Some food for thought, Google also buy another frontier company in making robot with legs, Boston Dynamic
and what if you combine the best software from Deepmind and the best hardware from Boston Dynamic and let it challenge human in the game of humanity... yes, I mean football/soccer! The idea and condition are very rough right now but you know it's gonna happen at some point, hope it's in my lifetime though.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:29 pm 
Lives in gote

pookpooi wrote:
Some food for thought, Google also buy another frontier company in making robot with legs, Boston Dynamicand what if you combine the best software from Deepmind and the best hardware from Boston Dynamic and let it challenge human in the game of humanity... yes, I mean football/soccer!

I guess "robot with wheels or wings" is more à propos. DeepMind will turn to 3D games, according to Demis Hassabis in a video interview. So, cars that drive themselves, drones ... all that mundane stuff.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Charles Matthews wrote:
pookpooi wrote:
Some food for thought, Google also buy another frontier company in making robot with legs, Boston Dynamicand what if you combine the best software from Deepmind and the best hardware from Boston Dynamic and let it challenge human in the game of humanity... yes, I mean football/soccer!

I guess "robot with wheels or wings" is more à propos. DeepMind will turn to 3D games, according to Demis Hassabis in a video interview. So, cars that drive themselves, drones ... all that mundane stuff.

By the way, do you know how good Hassabis is in go? He states that he's not a strong go player, but a very strong chess player though. I'm guessing he's in single digit kyu?

Post #30 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Odd that no one's reaction in this thread is "good for the game".

But no-one appears to have said "bad for the game" either. My guess is that people in the games world have already absorbed the chess experience and would just see a go computer as another tool - in other words, be rather neutral.

That said, there is an abiding problem with chess computers in that they can't explain (or even actually) prove to humans why one move is better than another. Conceivably, neural networks might shed some insight for a human, but the present paper talks about Monte Carlo to shore up the bulwarks, so this research doesn't seem to be going in a promising direction for providing illumination. Hence, it probably isn't specially good for the game except, like Deep Blue, for a passing moment of PR.

Based on what I know about AI neural networks I doubt that this program can explain in conceptual terms why the moves it chooses are good.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:40 pm 
Lives in gote

pookpooi wrote:
By the way, do you know how good Hassabis is in go? He states that he's not a strong go player, but a very strong chess player though. I'm guessing he's in single digit kyu?

When we played a series of handicap games, he got up to about 4k rather quickly. I coached him through a couple of online games. After that, I don't think he played much at all, seriously. So assume he's a mid-range club player - safest.

But he has an eye for games, and has been involved with go recently, so he might well have improved somewhat.

Post #32 Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:17 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
gowan wrote:
Based on what I know about AI neural networks I doubt that this program can explain in conceptual terms why the moves it chooses are good.

This program, no. But recurrent and convolutional neural networks are also used for natural language processing so...

Post #33 Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:06 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
gowan wrote:

Whilst being able to explain things conceptually makes a great teacher, it's not required for a bot to give useful teaching input. For example I gleaned some useful things from CrazyStone's analysis of my game here, notably some of the fighting sequences and trades I had not considered around the lower right corner from move 66. Whether I can incorporate those specific sequences and ideas into my general playing strength is less clear, but I don't think that's because the CrazyStone was unable to say "Broaden your mind and look at the bigger picture and try to consider more possibilities for trades and exchanges; is that move you think is sente really sente or can you make some exchanges first?" as I was able to create that conceptual lesson in natural language using my own intelligence applied to its analysis.

Last edited by Uberdude on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: hyperpape, xed_over

Post #34 Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:15 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
I think the question "can the bot explain" (doubt that this is possible) is partly a misunderstanding about different parts of a program.

"Can" is not the same as "does". And "provided by the same algorithm" not the same as "provided by ANY possible function".

In other words, a particular bot (currently) might simply return the next move. It DOESN'T offer a function "and explain the purpose behind that move". But this does not mean the program could not have been provided with a facility "explain the go reasons behind that move". Understand? The program might not have used those go reasons, comparing with the go reasons behind alternative moves and choosing which was the better move based upon most compelling go reasons. But that does no mean that GIVEN a move an AI could not be devised that explained "what does this move do".

To give a concrete example, take MFOG12. Its higher levels use MCTS to select the move to be made, but you can turn on "why" and using the AI which plays the lower levels, it can list the "go things" that move accomplishes << even though that AI can't evaluate which set of "go things" better than those associated with an alternative move at much better than 5-6 kyu level >> Being able to assemble a set of "go things" for each potential move is NOT the same problem as then being able to judge which set best (and so which of those alternative moves best).

So ........ to answer the initial question. A bot using a neuural net to PLAY go could be provided with a function that explained "what is that move good for" using any of a variety of techniques, and as the previous person pointed out, might be another neural net trained to THAT task.

Post #35 Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:32 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 148
Universal go server handle: Polama
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 961-f5.jpg (the picture was too big to attach to the post)

This is from the paper. The network doesn't "explain" it's reasoning in natural language, but you can see how it valued different options. There's some interesting stuff there, I especially like the "direction of play" at the top: White split two 4-4 corners: which side should black approach from? In section F you can also see the next 26 moves AlphaGo sees as most likely.

If you had access to the engine, you could force it to play a move you considered, and see what it viewed as the most plausible continuation from there.

In some ways, I think this is actually better pedagogically. You have to tinker and analyze with the results to pull out lessons, but hard won lessons seem to stick better anyways.

Post #36 Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:18 am 
Lives in sente

Charles Matthews wrote:
pookpooi wrote:

When we played a series of handicap games, he got up to about 4k rather quickly. I coached him through a couple of online games. After that, I don't think he played much at all, seriously. So assume he's a mid-range club player - safest.

But he has an eye for games, and has been involved with go recently, so he might well have improved somewhat.

I just watch he give an interview with korean press and he said that he himself is 1 dan!

Post #37 Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:34 pm 
Lives in gote

pookpooi wrote:
Charles Matthews wrote:
pookpooi wrote:

I just watch he give an interview with korean press and he said that he himself is 1 dan!

Fair enough: does destroy my story that out of my five "serious" pupils he was the only kyu player.

Post #38 Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:01 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 20
KGS: 5k
IGS: 10K
OGS: 7k
This is a few offtopic:

What AI is for sale to play against it? I think that we can play against it to train. I can win GNU 3.8

Post #39 Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 4
Darsey wrote:
What AI is for sale to play against it? I think that we can play against it to train. I can win GNU 3.8

SL has a list of go-playing software. It might be a bit outdated at places, but it's still a good starting point. You can find some discussion of specific products here in the Computer Go subforum.

This post by temifar was liked by: Darsey