It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Reference Sheet (Feedback Wanted)
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
OGS: llblumire
Myself and a friend have attempted to build a quick one page (2 side) reference sheet that can be used to introduce people to Go (designed for use in the canteen, when people innevitably come up to me and my friends and ask what we are doing with all these stones on a grid board).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9t4TH ... ZhdHc/view

Looking for feedback and comments

This post by llblumire was liked by 2 people: 1/7,000,000,000, Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Go Reference Sheet (Feedback Wanted)
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:14 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Thank you very much for preparing and sharing this.
In itself, I think it is excellent.

I do question it's use and purpose though.
If it is to be used for people who are (already) interested and have already shown their interest, then it should be fine.
If it is meant to attract interest, then I think it does not help very much. A flyer or poster would be better. Colors, pictures, graphics have more appeal. Think car dealer: first you want to persuade people to visit the showroom. Next is (trying to ) reeling them in. An other approach might be more fruitful if that is the intended use and purpose.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:20 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
OGS: llblumire
sybob wrote:
Thank you very much for preparing and sharing this.
In itself, I think it is excellent.

I do question it's use and purpose though.
If it is to be used for people who are (already) interested and have already shown their interest, then it should be fine.
If it is meant to attract interest, then I think it does not help very much. A flyer or poster would be better. Colors, pictures, graphics have more appeal. Think car dealer: first you want to persuade people to visit the showroom. Next is (trying to ) reeling them in. An other approach might be more fruitful if that is the intended use and purpose.

It's designed to do the former, to serve as a reference for anyone who sees us playing and is interested in what's going on, or for new learners who want to get to grips with the game.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
Congrats. I made some comments on the equivalent thread on Reddit.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 44
Universal go server handle: Jhyn
I agree that this is the kind of document one could leave to a beginner after his first few games, but probably not as a first contact.
Some subjective remarks.

Quote:
A stone is alive if there is no way for it to be captured, even if any attacks against it are ignored.

This is not what people usually mean by "alive" (usually it means "it can respond to avoid being captured against any attack"). I would remove the part after the comma, since it is confusing. ""A stone is alive if there is no way for it to be captured" is easy to understand.

Quote:
As a note: (...)

I would remove this part entirely. This kind of information does not make much sense to a beginner and can be explained later, if at all.

With the space I would add some more cultural information in the first paragraph. Go is mostly played in East Asia; World's best players are mostly Korean and Chinese; played by around x players worldwide, and y professional players; it is called Baduk in Korean and Weiqi in Chinese; this kind of things. Also you could provide a list of resources: gochild, goproblems, sensei's library, some go servers?