Post subject: Dragon Go Server offline
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: marshmn
DGS: marshmn
OGS: marshmn
It looks like Dragon Go Server has gone offline...

Looks like the domain has expired!

Matt

Attachments:
dgs.png
dgs.png [ 99.79 KiB | Viewed 6321 times ]

Post subject: Re: Dragon Go Server offline
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Online playing schedule: DGS all the time
I am on DGS each day, i have plenty of games running there, and i am worried.

On the forums there, the future of DGS is being discussed a lot, basically it is running on an outdated server, and when people ask for new features, anything that takes additional processing power gets talked down because the server is too weak.

So this really has me worried. I knew DGS is at a high risk of going down due to hardware problems, and i really hope they just need to re-register the URL. I fear the worst case scenario, that this is the hardware failure.

Lets wait for news and hope for the best. I hope this is just a small thing.

Last edited by neltharion on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:16 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
If the hardware had failed then the message would not be that the domain is no longer registered. There is no need for you to panic - not yet anyway.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:06 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
DGS is back up! (at least for me) :-)

Post #5 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:10 am 
Beginner

Bonobo wrote:
DGS is back up! (at least for me) :-)

its still down when i try it.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http ... erver.net/

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Leira

Post #7 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bonobo wrote:
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.dragongoserver.net/

Unfortunately, this isn't a great test because so long as SOMETHING is responding, it will tell you the site is up. As a result, the placeholder page put in by the registrar will register as up too.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:32 pm 
Beginner

For me, it is down, i cannot access it, none of the suggested workarounds work for me (windows 7, newest firefox browser).

I think this is the first time in close to a year that i did not access the website for that long.

I am tournament director of 3 tournaments over there, and i have 30 running games. This is infuriating. I wonder how many players DGS will lose because of this, and how big a drop in activity there will be because of this.

People leave and never come back. If you look dead, people who see it will think you are dead, and all the regulars are pissed off or might also believe that you are dead. If that affects too many people, it really can kill you.

If DGS survives this, i want to see some statistics of user activity that cover this, to see how much damage has been done.

DGS has worse than this coming, it is running on hardware from 2007, it is running at full capacity, it is one hardware failure away from going down with no "plan B", no backup, and then the forced migration to a new server will take days, and there is no budget to cover the cost. So this is a very hard-hitting warning shot, warning of things to come.

DGS is such a nice place to play correspondence go, it is geared for that purpose and works very well, but it is so shockingly close to death that the chances of long-term survival are slim. But i care about it and invest a lot of time there. I just lack the power to force them to use a new server and to turn the old hardware from 2007 into scrap metal, and i also have no power to force them to take some donations to build a 5.000 dollar cushion, for upgrades and if things go wrong and stuff.

If i had the power, i would force DGS to ask for donations and to then get a new server with higher reliability, and i would ask for donations until that is done and a reserve of 5000 dollars is established.

But i guess DGS will just continue to use that 2007 server they can use for free until it breaks down, and then die, because the financial situation is that DGS has zero dollars. It is easy to raise money when the service is up and running, it is close to impossible when the whole thing is down.

"Too long, did not read": DGS can survive this, but there will be damage to the userbase, but DGS cannot really survive a hardware failure of the server. Long-term, as it is now, DGS is on an unstoppable trajectory to certain death. It is only a matter of time. This could be a healthy warning shot.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 18
KGS: jug
DGS: jug, 4k
It can take up to one day till it works properly again, more exact till the DNS resolves the domain correctly again.

I've added a report about what happened also on L19: http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12213

So not the server was down, but only the domain did not resolve any more over DNS.

Usually in such cases, the current status is also tracked on Sensei's Library DGS-page: http://senseis.xmp.net/?DragonGoServer

Cheers,
/JUG (DGS-Admin)

Post #10 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:12 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 18
KGS: jug
DGS: jug, 4k
neltharion wrote:
I think this is the first time in close to a year that i did not access the website for that long.

In the 14 years since DGS is online, there were several downtimes (even longer than the current one). DGS does not have an availability of 100%.

Quote:
I am tournament director of 3 tournaments over there, and i have 30 running games. This is infuriating. I wonder how many players DGS will lose because of this

No one, because I've stopped the game-clocks as soon as I got word about the "situation".

Quote:
and how big a drop in activity there will be because of this.

Web-requests so far indicate, that "normal" request activity has been reached again.

Cheers,
/JUG (DGS-Admin)

Post #11 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Simon, you are being as big a pain here as you are on DGS. Just hold of for a couple of days and see what happens. The sky is NOT falling yet.