Post subject: RIP Milton Bradley
Post #1 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Obit in the AGA Journal

He was a frequent contributor to rec.games.go when I started reading it in the 90s. I often disagreed with what he had to say, but he was really important in promoting Go in the US, and deserves a ton of credit and thanks for that.

Post subject: Re: RIP Milton Bradley
Post #2 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:44 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
Milton Bradley was a go player.

For me, to be a go player, you must love the game, you must play it, you must study and you must try to spread the game. All of us should inhabit these four ideas, the first two are pretty easy in an internet age, but few of us really excel at all 4.

Milton Bradley lived in the hard corners. No one has worked harder to spread go over the last several decades, no one had greater passion. Following the links on the AGA site will show you what I mean - he simply worked to let people in on the secret - and in those days go was a secret - that he knew had to be shared.

From his passion, his opinions could be strong, and he often put folks off in discussions on rec games go, but always you could not question his consistency and commitment. You might not have liked what he said when he disagreed with you, but you had to respect that this was no mere griper, that when he said this should be done, he would be first in line to do it, that is, if he had not already started on his own.

Go players are an odd lot - my only significant face to face contact with Milt was a subway ride with him in NY at one of the Meijin events. With his white beard, heavy glasses, wiry frame, dark clothes and white tennis shoes, he looked every bit like one of those timeless Edward Gorey drawings - except he was not static, his energy was palpable, you felt those white tennis shoes would keep moving forever...

Thank you Milt, for all of your efforts.

Last edited by HKA on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by HKA was liked by 7 people: Chew Terr, daal, Darrell, dfan, k1ndofblue, threeve, xed_over

Post subject: Re: RIP Milton Bradley
Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 29
GD Posts: 48
KGS: Darrell
I would not be a go player today if it wasn't for Milton Bradley's passion for the game and dedication to spreading it to all that would listen.

RIP