All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Types of annoying people on go servers
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
KGS: softbank
man I have been running into jerks a lot recently..gotta summarize what i saw

1.escapers: close the game when they are losing without resigning..pathetic people

2.away from keyboarders: does not make a move when they are losing, I have to wait like 10 minutes for his time to run out, met a couple of these guys..apparently resigning hurts their pride or something

3.trash talkers:this aint street basketball or something..i met people who commentates their own moves like crazy..especially if they kill my group their trash talk will be all over my screen..

4:combinations of the above 3 types...like my other post

well after running into so many jerks I think I can cope with anything now..wrote this cuz Im bored

Post subject: Re: Types of annoying people on go servers
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Just go ahead to become SDK. The jerks will become less naturally.

This post by karaklis was liked by 2 people: danielm, topazg

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 341
Was liked: 17
Even though karaklis is right, I just played a funny 9 kyu. In his user information he writes:
"I find it impolite to give up after counting the score. You are the only one who should take responsibility for your poor play. If the loss is so big you don't want it archivized, you should be able to see it in the earlier stage of the game. You should resign then."
But then he resigned just before filling dame ... :scratch:

This post by Akura was liked by 3 people: betterlife, ez4u, Mosdefgo

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:29 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Akura wrote:
Even though karaklis is right, I just played a funny 9 kyu. In his user information he writes:
"I find it impolite to give up after counting the score. You are the only one who should take responsibility for your poor play. If the loss is so big you don't want it archivized, you should be able to see it in the earlier stage of the game. You should resign then."
But then he resigned just before filling dame ... :scratch:

:lol: :lol:

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
Filling dame is an earlier stage than counting the score. :batman:

This post by yoyoma was liked by: Akura

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
I rarely run into these types, even on automatch (which I use to play about 90% of my games). Before hitting 8k or so, it was more common.

On point (2) (the away-from-keyboarders), sometimes the player might be counting and looking for weaknesses to exploit. Sometimes it is rather obvious they are being rude. For example, when they've played like a blitzer until losing a huge group at W200, and then wait 20 minutes before moving again. I seriously consider escaping to avoid the total waste of time, but I usually do tsumego instead.

This post by judicata was liked by: Akura

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
judicata wrote:
On point (2) (the away-from-keyboarders), sometimes the player might be counting and looking for weaknesses to exploit. Sometimes it is rather obvious they are being rude. For example, when they've played like a blitzer until losing a huge group at W200, and then wait 20 minutes before moving again. I seriously consider escaping to avoid the total waste of time, but I usually do tsumego instead.

Yeah, sometimes I've taken a break for a smoke, a toilet break, getting a drink, changing a kids nappy, all sorts of reasons. I consider big long breaks within time controls to be completely ok, and if they time out, it happens, I'm not going to assume it's intentional to rile me.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
Speaking of AFK, I've even taken a shower while playing in an on line tournament game. What else did they expect me to spend an hour of main time on?

This post by Redundant was liked by 2 people: jts, Li Kao

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 10
KGS: dedroid
I am unfortunate enough to know one of these people in real life. He is a member of the go club i attend at university and...he's not the most pleasant person. The sad part is, that it carries over into real life. We went to a tournament and he was getting sandbagged, which is common around his level(his level then anyway, although he was sandbagging himself a couple ranks or two) and he quickly realized he was getting sandbagged, and got frustrated. During the game he shouted, "B****!" This was pretty loud and embarrassing for our club. needless to say, his online behavior is worse. althought it does give me a lot of funny stories.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
dedroid wrote:
I am unfortunate enough to know one of these people in real life. He is a member of the go club i attend at university and...he's not the most pleasant person. The sad part is, that it carries over into real life. We went to a tournament and he was getting sandbagged, which is common around his level(his level then anyway, although he was sandbagging himself a couple ranks or two) and he quickly realized he was getting sandbagged, and got frustrated. During the game he shouted, "B****!" This was pretty loud and embarrassing for our club. needless to say, his online behavior is worse. althought it does give me a lot of funny stories.

I've met someone who "escaped" games at our club (I dubbed him an "IRL escaper"). We played a few games in which he got up and left or started doing other things without saying a word--at first I just assumed he had to use the restroom or something, but that wasn't the case.

This post by judicata was liked by: wessanenoctupus

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:13 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 10
KGS: dedroid
judicata wrote:
I've met someone who "escaped" games at our club (I dubbed him an "IRL escaper"). We played a few games in which he got up and left or started doing other things without saying a word--at first I just assumed he had to use the restroom or something, but that wasn't the case.

lol, that's certainly interesting. And probably even more annoying in real life, i imagine.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
judicata wrote:

Oh dear, I remember when he swept all the stones off the board after losing at 9 stones...

Post #13 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Redundant wrote:
Speaking of AFK, I've even taken a shower while playing in an on line tournament game. What else did they expect me to spend an hour of main time on?

Thinking, perhaps? :D

Post #14 Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 13
KGS: lindentree
Tygem: selendis
IGS: lchiu87
Wbaduk: lindentree
Redundant wrote:

Are you talking about that game you played with me in the Young Kwon tournament? 0_o

Post #15 Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:44 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
Long main times in tournaments are perfect opportunities for feeding your tomagotchi and texting your parents. It's important to have effective time management.

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

Post #16 Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:33 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
lindentree wrote:
Redundant wrote:

Are you talking about that game you played with me in the Young Kwon tournament? 0_o

... Yes ...

I totally forgot that I'd become part of the early division, so I was basically asleep when I think Shaddy called me and told me I had a game.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:51 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Yeah you'll run into the occasional jerk here and there on Go servers, but I think overall it's quite tame in the Go community. For comparison, here is a pro-level Starcraft 2 player getting interviewed after losing 2-3 in a showmatch (explicit language): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqstUPqLDv4 - you'll never run into a Go pro/any player like this, both on and offline.

This post by Solomon was liked by: jts

Post #18 Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Araban wrote:
Yeah you'll run into the occasional jerk here and there on Go servers, but I think overall it's quite tame in the Go community. For comparison, here is a pro-level Starcraft 2 player getting interviewed after losing 2-3 in a showmatch (explicit language): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqstUPqLDv4 - you'll never run into a Go pro/any player like this, both on and offline.

Yes, but is that part of the reason that Go is so boring to watch compared to SC? :scratch:

Post #19 Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:42 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 9
KGS: kaimat
Online playing schedule: KGS most nights after 8pm CST. Sundays available anytime but on in the morning and evening.
I think I've been guilty of a few escapes on KGS because I assumed it was just an automatic resign. I play chess on Playchess.com (Chessbase.com's playing site) and if I'm getting whooped it's usually easier for me just to quit and have it force a resignation.

I felt bad after realizing that the games were left unfinished. However, a lot can be said for not caring if people leave when obviously losing; I get far more upset when my internet connection goes out during the middle of the game.

I spent years obsessing over my chess rating. It's nice to just play go and enjoy knowing that I'm improving.

Post #20 Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
kaimat wrote:
...It's nice to just play go and enjoy knowing that I'm improving.

That is, if you're someone that can have confidence that this is actually happening. Sometimes I really doubt that I'm improving. It's probably because I spend too much time talking, and not enough time doing.

As for annoying people on go servers... I don't know, some people probably find me annoying. :-)