All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Child No Longer Free
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 1103
KGS: buzzsaw
I went to Go Child this morning for the first time in awhile, and I noticed that it is no longer free. They are charging twelve dollars for a year of access. It sounds like a reasonable price, but I am hesitating.

Has anyone signed up?

Terri

Post subject: Re: Go Child No Longer Free
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Why pay Go Child when there are plenty of problems and lectures at Wbaduk for free :)

This post by tchan001 was liked by: 1986

Post #3 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:55 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 789
Maybe because the commercial contents would be better or offering something still unfamiliar?

Post #4 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I go to the Wbaduk site and feel instant confusion. If you directly link to problems or lectures, I might use them. If they're only available in the app, I certainly won't.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:41 am 
Dies with sente

The advantage of Go Child is that there is an incredible number of very easy problems. Ideally I would like to have an iPad app that would have all of that content available offline.

I looked at the WBaduk iPad app. I already had it downloaded to my iPad. The problems look nice, but there really aren't all that many of them.

Terri

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
goddess wrote:
The advantage of Go Child is that there is an incredible number of very easy problems. Ideally I would like to have an iPad app that would have all of that content available offline.

I'd say it's worth $12/year then for you. I use GoGrinder with sgfs from problem set cds, but they're a bit more difficult.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Goddess, how many are "not enough"? There are 2633 problems, 1161 marked as Pre-Inter (hard), for example.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Even the easier WBaduk problems are far from no-brainers. I admittedly have fun with problems rated DDK, while playing there as 3 dan. Problems rated as dan level are pretty headache inducing to me. So the 1000s of "easy" problems on WBaduk aren't so easy on a closer look.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:16 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Well, if they decided to change money, how come they were asking for free advice?

viewtopic.php?p=85641#p85641

Sorry, but I feel used. :mad:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I had used GoChild quite a bit a while ago, and the range and amount of problems is surely worth the 12$ if you compare it for example to a book. I must however admit that I find it difficult to bring myself to pay for something that I have already enjoyed for free - particularly as I have already done many of the problems around my level.

@ hyperpape As to WBaduk, I also find the service difficult to use. When I tried to log in today, it didn't recognize my account, so I made a new one. Then I tried to use the test room and found that it only works with IE. While taking the test, at one point I entered three moves, got an error message that I should only enter one move, but there was no way to retract the moves. I had to close the window. When I reopened it, it said that my id was invalid. I relogged in again and shortly thereafter committed an access violation, whatever that is. Then I turned on "compatibility mode" but it won't shut off, etc...

@bill - afaik, the person who asked for free advice is a (paying) GoChild member and not someone running the site.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
http://www.goproblems.com/ is good as well for random problem grinding, though I guess it's more clunky than gochild. I did sign up for go child too... And wbaduk is my main server...

On gochild it's easy to keep track of where you are in a set, you can flag interesting problems... So I don't feel bad paying for it.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I should say, I haven't tried the Wbaduk iOS app, only the desktop versions. I'll try it on iOS, maybe it's easier to use.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:11 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
daal wrote:
@bill - afaik, the person who asked for free advice is a (paying) GoChild member and not someone running the site.

Sorry, I do not know about GoChild. Can any user improve the site?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Bill Spight wrote:
daal wrote:

Sorry, I do not know about GoChild. Can any user improve the site?

I think the improvement comes from the feedback the author/owner gets from the users via their own forum

Post #15 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:27 pm 
Dies with sente

RBerenguel wrote:
Goddess, how many are "not enough"? There are 2633 problems, 1161 marked as Pre-Inter (hard), for example.

It seems to me that Go Child has a lot more easy problems. I might end up paying for it. But I sure do wish that I would get an iPad interface if I am paying.

Terri

Post #16 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 172
I paid the $12 a few weeks ago. At first, I was annoyed having to pay for a site that used to be free, but I do think the cost is well worth it. I use it literally every day on my laptop at work and I like the variety of problems it offers, including the Segoe tesuji dictionary. I've solved nearly 5000 problems since I signed up, so I'm probably getting my money's worth :)

If you solve problems well enough, you can also win challenges that extend your membership (I think the norm is 20 extra days for most of the challenges). A skilled player could probably extend their membership indefinitely if they wanted.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I've been trying out WBaduk's Test room (more comments about it here), and GoChild is looking more attractive by the moment. The comparison reveals some of GoChild's features that might help justify the price.

First of all, it works fine. Hardly a bug in sight.

Second, it is run by one person who listens to and responds to criticism on a public forum. When he decided to make it a pay-for site for example, apparently there was initially some irritating battery-type icon that ran down indicating your time left to do free problems. Some people didn't like it, and he re-thought and re-designed his concept. Now there is a (still fairly large) set of problems you can do for free without constrictions, as well as a way to win some free access to the other problems.

Another feature I like is that you can custom-label problems, and then filter a set in order to do ones that you like for a particular reason.

On the downside of the comparison, if I recall, there are not many whole board problems on GoChild and the categories can be a bit odd (dong-dong groupings?), and the reward system simply encourages you to do lots of problems instead of helping you discover and focus on particular weaknesses. Notwithstanding, there is a lot of bang for the buck.