It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fujisawa Rina captures Women's Honinbo
Post #1 Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Fujisawa beat Mukai Chiaki in game 3 on Friday, November 7th to take the title 3-0. At 16 years and 1 month, she is the youngest ever winner of this title, easily surpassing Xie Yimin's previous record of 17 years 11 months. This is Fujisawa's second major title of the year after the Aidu Cup, which she won in June.

This post by ez4u was liked by: judicata

Post subject: Re: Fujisawa Rina captures Women's Honinbo
Post #2 Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:18 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Could someone post an sgf, if they have it? I couldn't find it.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:34 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Here you go

This post by oren was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, judicata

Post #4 Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:58 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
It's one of the calmest games of Igodou I've ever seen XD good learning material for me. Considering her age, her strength growth seems to be strikingly similar to a korean top proffesionals. It seems Japan would have another (world class) top player in a couple of years ;-) (NHK Cup, watch out fo a second time!)

ps: when white moved into the upper right, blacl gained a lot of influence, wasn't that a bit too much influence :scratch: ?

Post #5 Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:38 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
What is Igodou, other than an attempt to appear superior through use of fancy foreign language?

P.S. I don't think top Koreans will be worrying much yet seeing as this was a female only competition so has a significantly weaker field. Nevertheless well done Fujisawa.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:33 am 
Lives in sente

Uberdude wrote:
What is Igodou, other than an attempt to appear superior through use of fancy foreign language?

P.S. I don't think top Koreans will be worrying much yet seeing as this was a female only competition so has a significantly weaker field. Nevertheless well done Fujisawa.

Yep, what else would it be ;) haha, actually, because the game was so peaceful, and since changing "jitsu" to "dou" is a well known tradition of naming a more "serene" version of a martial art (jitsu = "technique", dou = "way of", JU-jitsu, JU-dou, AKI-jitsu, AKI-dou, etc.), and since I consider Igo a martial art, :)

Whoops! I meant "strongest female players". Of course there are many players who were stronger than Fujisawa 3p at 16 (Choi Jung, for example,)
but the growth rate of her strength indicates a possibility of becoming a top female player (in a global perspective, not just Japan) rivalling Xie 6p (winning the female honinbo is still no joke, especially at this age :) ) and since Japan has only 1 top professional (globally) and lot's of near-top-pro players , that's what I meant about the NHK Cup.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Location: Granada, Spain | Osaka, Japan | Turku, Finland | Tokyo, Japan
Liked others: 50
Was liked: 22
KGS: Ellyster
Elom wrote:
Uberdude wrote:

Yep, what else would it be ;) haha, actually, because the game was so peaceful, and since changing "jitsu" to "dou" is a well known tradition of naming a more "serene" version of a martial art (jitsu = "technique", dou = "way of", JU-jitsu, JU-dou, AKI-jitsu, AKI-dou, etc.), and since I consider Igo a martial art, :)

Actually, 道 (Dō) is not only for martial arts, that's a common misconception. It true that it means literally "Way of"/"Path", although it is used in this context with the English meaning "Art" (not necessarily artistic, but as skill/craft).

The ones that you mention Ju-do, Aiki-do, Karate-do, Ken-do, Kyu-do,... are the Gendai budō (現代武道) or Modern martial art (lit. 現 now/current, 代 era, 武 martial, 道 art/path). But the origin is related to the meditation in Buddhist religion in Japan, as thinks that were learn, practiced and mastered in the Dojo (the meditation room in the Buddhist monastery)... since patiently mastering something by doing it repetitively and improving all details until achieving absolute perfection was the way of getting enlighten (a way to nirvana). Regardless if it was Zen meditation, Tea ceremony, Go or Martial arts.

Lot of things were practiced, and it started taking the meaning of art/craft so it is used widely... Sa-do (The art of Tea ceremony), Sho-do (The art of calligraph), Ii-do (The art of medicine, Ka-do (The art of flower arrangement), Ka-do (The art of tanka poetry), Ga-do (The art of painting)... or even in new words like Ski-do (The Japanese way of skiing).

So the use of Igo-do is actually correct by it self (not being martial related), for example:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24086214

This post by Ellyster was liked by: Elom

Post #8 Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
ez4u wrote:
Fujisawa beat Mukai Chiaki in game 3 on Friday, November 7th to take the title 3-0. At 16 years and 1 month, she is the youngest ever winner of this title, easily surpassing Xie Yimin's previous record of 17 years 11 months. This is Fujisawa's second major title of the year after the Aidu Cup, which she won in June.

This makes me sad for Mukai Chiaki. She spent years chasing the title and challenging Xie Yimin and now a teenager snatches it from her after only one year. :cry:

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 am 
Lives in sente

Ellyster wrote:
Elom wrote:
Uberdude wrote:

Actually, 道 (Dō) is not only for martial arts, that's a common misconception. It true that it means literally "Way of"/"Path", although it is used in this context with the English meaning "Art" (not necessarily artistic, but as skill/craft).

The ones that you mention Ju-do, Aiki-do, Karate-do, Ken-do, Kyu-do,... are the Gendai budō (現代武道) or Modern martial art (lit. 現 now/current, 代 era, 武 martial, 道 art/path). But the origin is related to the meditation in Buddhist religion in Japan, as thinks that were learn, practiced and mastered in the Dojo (the meditation room in the Buddhist monastery)... since patiently mastering something by doing it repetitively and improving all details until achieving absolute perfection was the way of getting enlighten (a way to nirvana). Regardless if it was Zen meditation, Tea ceremony, Go or Martial arts.

Lot of things were practiced, and it started taking the meaning of art/craft so it is used widely... Sa-do (The art of Tea ceremony), Sho-do (The art of calligraph), Ii-do (The art of medicine, Ka-do (The art of flower arrangement), Ka-do (The art of tanka poetry), Ga-do (The art of painting)... or even in new words like Ski-do (The Japanese way of skiing).

So the use of Igo-do is actually correct by it self (not being martial related), for example:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24086214

Interesting, thanks for the information. Actually, the similar character 進 in the name 進藤 in similar in meaning (進=to advance 道=path/way)

Post #10 Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
This is very interesting and she is a young player (from my point of view anyway). I wish games like this we could watch a video of, I love watching matches. :)

Post #11 Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Rowen wrote:
This is very interesting and she is a young player (from my point of view anyway). I wish games like this we could watch a video of, I love watching matches. :)

She'll have to work her way into the NHK matches. Right now she does the reading of the moves.

I don't see her in Ryusei matches yet either.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:43 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
Fujisawa Rina defeated Kono Rin by resign. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #13 Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
oren wrote:
She'll have to work her way into the NHK matches. Right now she does the reading of the moves.

Women title holders are qualified (NHK qualification is by titles and prize winning), so next year she will be in the cup. (http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/nhk/index-e.html)

Post #14 Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I count this game as only B+4.5 (not the reported B+5.5).
What am I missing?

Post #15 Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
xed_over wrote:
What am I missing?

C5 isn't a point for white. This is a general problem with Japanese games where they normally don't fill dame moves.

This post by macelee was liked by: daal

Post #16 Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:16 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
macelee wrote:
xed_over wrote:
What am I missing?

C5 isn't a point for white. This is a general problem with Japanese games where they normally don't fill dame moves.

ah, totally right. I missed that. Thanks!

Post #17 Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
KGS: Mikebass14
Tygem: Mikebass14
OGS: Mikebass14
trout wrote:

Do know where I can find that game record, trout? That is indeed amazing!

Post #18 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Mikebass14 wrote:
trout wrote:

Here (the game referred to is the one played on the 8th of December I guess).

Post #19 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:08 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Shenoute wrote:
Mikebass14 wrote:
trout wrote:

Here (the game referred to is the one played on the 8th of December I guess).

The game description translates to something like:

"1st Ibero Japan Cup memorial game"

Ibero Japan is a company there. Not sure was being memorised.

If you have a Go4Go account: http://www.go4go.net/go/games/sgfview/45889

Post #20 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
The game description translates to something like:

"1st Ibero Japan Cup memorial game"

Ibero Japan is a company there. Not sure was being memorised.

I haven't checked this yet, but I suspect it should be more like Ibero Japan Cup Celebration Game, being an exhibition game to make the award ceremony for the Cup. Kono is far too old to play in this event anyway, which is fully titled the Ibero Japan New Stars Cup.

I'm also unsure that Ibero Japan is a Japanese company, as the large, famous one of that name makes tractors, and I imagine there's a law against companies using the same name. The go company is a Spanish travel agency run (?owned) by Mikami Masaru, an amateur 6-dan who helped Spanish go a lot and became an honorary president (or vice-president?) of the Spanish Go Association. Perhaps our Spanish colleagues can tell us more.

It's interesting that a few new tournaments have sprouted up in Japan, and it's just been announced that the Junior Amateur Honinbo is to be allowed into the next Yucho Cup (which really is a Memorial Cup, for the recently late Nakano Koji).

At the same time, Japan has copied Korea and created an alms-bowl tournament called "Over 40s". Rather sad really. Reminds of the Son of Mars who is reduced to being one of the Jolly Beggars:

His doxy lay within his arm.
Wi' usquebae and blankets warm,
She blinket on her sodger.
An' ay he gies the tozie drab
The tither skelpin kiss,
While she held up her greedy gab
Just like an aumous dish.