It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Commented Go Seigen Games
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
I was looking for some commented Go Seigen games since he is one of my favorite players. I've seen the collection commented by Seigen himself, but I think commenting your own games is like indexing your own book...

I also know about the Fairbarn collection, but is he really qualified to be commentating them?

So, is there anything else I should check out?

Post subject: Re: Commented Go Seigen Games
Post #2 Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:40 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
Jedo wrote:
I also know about the Fairbarn collection, but is he really qualified to be commentating them?

Yes.

This post by imabuddha was liked by 3 people: SoDesuNe, Stable, topazg

Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:09 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I like imabuddha's response, but you might also wish to know that Fairbairn didn't just do it himself, but is familiar with "sixty years of professional commentaries" on the games.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
Yes, indeed - he occasionally refers to times when professional opinion on moves vary among various commentaries, so you occasionally hear that Kitani said one line was good but Takagawa disagreed and Fujisawa Shuko may have had yet a third opinion. He also draws from commentaries in both Chinese and Korean (although there naturally seem to be fewer of these than commentary by later Japanese pros, which are still fewer than commentaries by Go Seigen and his contemporaries at the time the matches were played.)

Post #5 Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Jedo wrote:
I was looking for some commented Go Seigen games since he is one of my favorite players. I've seen the collection commented by Seigen himself, but I think commenting your own games is like indexing your own book...

The Fairbairn books are compilations of many commentaries by pros. You should check out the SL page on Go Seigen for some useful links. There is also a Slate and Shell book, Master Play: The Style of Go Seigen which has comments by a strong amateuer on two games of Go Seigen. Actually, there really aren't a lot of English commentaries by pros. Go Seigen was most active as a player more than 50 years ago so the English go magazines only have a few of his games. His play is very advanced so English books of commentaries are unlikely to be published because the buying public is so small. Best solution is to learn Japanese, lots of commented games in Japanese. But the Fairbairn books do a good job. Having Go's commentaries on his own games is not such a bad thing. For one thing, what people really want to know is how he thinks about the game and only he can give you that.

Last edited by gowan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Jedo wrote:

Learning Japanese might be a good idea. :)

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #7 Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
nagano wrote:

I am actually, but am only in my second college year so it's probably not good enough yet. I doubt I know anywhere close to enough Kanji...

Post #8 Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Just one game, but an awesome game very well commented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ReF-tPwno

Post #9 Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Jedo wrote:
nagano wrote:

I am actually, but am only in my second college year so it's probably not good enough yet. I doubt I know anywhere close to enough Kanji...

Yeah, that's why I chose Korean, but I'm not far enough yet either.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #10 Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
If you can use a kanji dictionary and you know the grammar you can read well enough, even though it will be slow. Game commentaries usually use fairly language.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:25 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Jedo wrote:
nagano wrote:

When I started reading Japanese go books I knew only a few hundred Kanji. If you have had a year of Japanese you are in good shape. Sure, you may need to have a dictionary at hand, but it will not be as difficult as, say, reading a newspaper or novel. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
Bill Spight wrote:
When I started reading Japanese go books I knew only a few hundred Kanji. If you have had a year of Japanese you are in good shape. Sure, you may need to have a dictionary at hand, but it will not be as difficult as, say, reading a newspaper or novel. :)

Yeah, when I started reading Japanese go books I was surprised at how much easier it was than reading just about anything else. Also, don't get discouraged if you have to use a dictionary a lot in the first page or two. Any given go book uses a (relatively) small selection of terminology, and once you are familiar with the common go terms and the style of writing of the author, you will pick up speed extremely quickly.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:26 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: eyecatcher
I know the thread is already some 6 years old now :scratch: but for the sake of completeness:

here is the free book with Go Seigens own comments on about ~13 of his games:

https://www.usgo.org/files/pdf/go-seigen-book.pdf

:study:

Edit:
ah... and i forgot, it is really amazing that the guys at ASR put the content from the book

into these "ready to replay" games:

http://www.advancedstudyroom.org/study- ... y-himself/ :tmbup:
#GoSeigen

Last edited by eyecatcher on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by eyecatcher was liked by: Bonobo