Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Mi Yu Ting in 2007
The match with Gu Li

[sgf-full](;CA[hz-gb-2312]AP[MultiGo:4.4.4]SZ[19]C[http\://weiqi.tom.com
~{FeJ%5@3!~}-->~{>+2JJ1>V~}
~{C?7=~}2~{P!J1~}40~{7V#,~}5~{4N~}1~{7VVS6ACk~}]
EV[2011~{=pA"JV;z1-N'<WA*H|5ZKDBVVw=+~}]DT[2011-05-21]PB[~{XBjEM"~} (Mi Yu Ting)]
BR[~{H}6N~}]PW[~{9EA&~} (Gu Li)]WR[~{>E6N~}]KM[7.5]RE[B+R]US[~{FeJ%5@3!~}]SO[weiqi.tom.com]
MULTIGOGM[1]
;B[pd];W[dd];B[pq];W[dp];B[qk];W[jp];B[nc];W[dj];B[fc];W[id];B[cf];W[cc];B[ee];W[de]
;B[df];W[ef];B[fe];W[eg];B[ch];W[ei];B[bj];W[bk];B[cj];W[ck];B[bd];W[bc];B[be];W[eb]
;B[ec];W[db];B[fb];W[bb];B[hf];W[bg];B[bh];W[if];B[ig];W[hg];B[ie];W[jf];B[he];W[je]
;B[ih];W[gg];B[ca];W[ba];B[ea];W[cb];B[jd];W[kd];B[jc];W[kc];B[jb];W[kg];B[ji];W[li]
;B[jk];W[dk];B[fh];W[kb];B[eh];W[hi];B[gi];W[hh];B[gf];W[ii];B[jh];W[hk];B[lk];W[nf]
;B[gj];W[fg];B[dh];W[qf];B[lh];W[mh];B[mi];W[ni];B[mj];W[ik];B[lg];W[hc];B[fa];W[gb]
;B[lf];W[le];B[ia];W[ib];B[ga];W[ha];B[hb];W[dg];B[cg];W[ha];B[hj];W[ij];B[hb];W[ic]
;B[da];W[ha];B[cd];W[dc];B[hb];W[gd];B[ed];W[ff];B[ge];W[gc];B[ac];W[ha];B[ab];W[qc]
;B[qd];W[rd];B[re];W[rc];B[qe];W[pc];B[ne];W[rf];B[sf];W[pf];B[oe];W[of];B[rg];W[qh]
;B[rh];W[nj];B[qi];W[pi];B[pj];W[ri];B[qj];W[nk];B[nh];W[oh];B[mg];W[qg];B[rj];W[nm]
;B[jm];W[in];B[cq];W[dq];B[cp];W[co];B[bo];W[cn];B[dr];W[er];B[cr];W[fq];B[bn];W[me]
;B[ko];W[im];B[kp];W[jq];B[po];W[oc];B[nd];W[lm];B[km];W[ll];B[jo];W[io];B[kk];W[qp]
;B[qo];W[np];B[pp];W[pl];B[qm];W[lq];B[kf];W[nb];B[mb];W[ob];B[mc];W[sd];B[se];W[gk]
;B[cm];W[dm];B[bm];W[jg];B[mk];W[ng];B[ml];W[nl];B[mm];W[kh];B[ki];W[ke];B[hb];W[jj]
;B[kj];W[ha];B[ce];W[mh];B[nn];W[on];B[no];W[fj];B[mq];W[mr];B[nr];W[nq];B[mp];W[or]
;B[lr];W[ns];B[kq];W[pr];B[qr];W[kr];B[ls];W[oo];B[lp];W[op];B[jr];W[ir];B[ks];W[is]
;B[pm];W[om];B[dl];W[dn];B[cl];W[el];B[lj];W[mf];B[ps];W[li];B[hb];W[ja];B[ha])[/sgf-full]
We might want to watch this one in the future. :)

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post subject: Re: Gu Li defeated by Mi Yu Ting, 15 year-old 3p
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Is it possible to find a commentary, understandable at kyu level, of a game by Gu-Li (or Lee Sedol). I don't understand more or less all their moves...

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I didn't understand W154. :scratch: Its sole purpose seems to be to ensure that white is a move behind when the fighting starts in the lower right side. At first glance, something like N3 looks better.
What am I missing?

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:41 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
I think sometimes pros agree beforehand to play a few nonsense moves just to troll us all. Most of this game made very little sense to me.

This post by daniel_the_smith was liked by: entropi

Post #5 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I didn't understand W154. :scratch: Its sole purpose seems to be to ensure that white is a move behind when the fighting starts in the lower right side. At first glance, something like N3 looks better.
What am I missing?

Doesn't it keep W connected?

Post #6 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Tryphon wrote:
Is it possible to find a commentary, understandable at kyu level, of a game by Gu-Li (or Lee Sedol). I don't understand more or less all their moves...
I can point you to some good commentaries if you like, but it's hard to understand their games at dan level. :) You have to read out all variations to at least 50 moves. :study:
jts wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
What am I missing?

It threatens to connect and lets white increase the corner in sente.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
jts wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
What am I missing?

It keeps white connected with two gote moves. Somehow I don't imagine a pro playing that way.

nagano wrote:
It threatens to connect and lets white increase the corner in sente.

Uhhh...which corner?

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 pm 
Lives with ko

nagano wrote:
Tryphon wrote:
I can point you to some good commentaries if you like, but it's hard to understand their games at dan level. :) You have to read out all variations to at least 50 moves. :study:

With great pleasure :)

Post #9 Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
What am I missing?

My thoughts: if black plays at 154 it's sente against white's top right corner - black P18 would then kill. As it stands, P18 just kills locally but white can push and cut his way out. Thus, using that sente, black can connect. White 154 prevents this connection.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

This post by gaius was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #10 Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Tryphon wrote:

Gogameguru has some commentary of Gu Li vs Lee Sedol matches by An Younggil. You could try checking them out.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #11 Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm 
Lives in gote

gaius wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
What am I missing?

My thoughts: if black plays at 154 it's sente against white's top right corner - black P18 would then kill. As it stands, P18 just kills locally but white can push and cut his way out. Thus, using that sente, black can connect. White 154 prevents this connection.
Yes, you're right.
Dusk Eagle wrote:
Tryphon wrote:

Gogameguru has some commentary of Gu Li vs Lee Sedol matches by An Younggil. You could try checking them out.
That's probably the easiest source. Of course you could find more on http://gogameworld.com, but it's subscription based.

Post #12 Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Dusk Eagle wrote:
Tryphon wrote:

I went throught some of them, but I wouldn't say they are kyu-level :) They comment some moves, but more or less all moves seem strange to me. And I'm certainly not the only one, I remember the contests we had on "which level is this game ?" where pro games were often rated SDK (it was very fun) :)

Post #13 Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
An Younggil put some comments on one Gu Li game to the effect of "I don't understand what's going on here either.", so I dunno if anyone can make the games understandable to an sdk, unless maybe it were the players themselves.

Post #14 Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
There was an article about this that said Gu Li is struggling from fatigue, due to the intense match schedule.

Still, impressive performance by a 15 year old.

Tryphon wrote:

Unfortunately their games can be hard to understand because they fight so much... This is especially true in tournaments where the time limits are short, because then it just becomes chaos.

If you want learn to play a fighting game, but are looking for some pro games that are easier to follow, I'd recommend having a look at Kato Masao's games. His style is very solid and his attacking is very powerful.

If you want high quality commented games that explain things thoroughly, try John Power's Invincible - The Games of Shusaku. This is an excellent book for learning about the middle game, with detailed explanations.

Ultimately if you want to understand pro games better, you need to improve your reading by doing a lot of life and death problems.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 16
GD Posts: 498
KGS: Invader, gilgil
Online playing schedule: Teaching, tournaments, and CGL (UofT)
Regarding 154 - The 2nd line kosumi on the top does not kill white even if white could not push and cut his way through after fro mthe corner. White has first line sente on the upper right edge, so the corner is just alive, though it can be seki.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the only meanings of 154 are 2. 1: half-connect. Why half-connect? It increases white's safety but also gains points. How does it gain points? A: If black plays there and white cuts, the exchange might gain for black, but more importantly - B: It is gote now, but white makes the corner about 5 points bigger all in Sente later on because of that move, check it out. If we were to somehow calculate the value of points gained, points prevented (if any) and point value of the increase in white's safety, the Gote value would be more than 15 for sure, I believe... Since Sente is usually considered double the value of Gote, White got around 10 Gote just by the enlargement of the corner alone.

So yes! That mvoe does make the corner bigger...indirectly!

This post by Alakazam was liked by 2 people: Joaz Banbeck, topazg

Post #16 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:54 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Just as a complement,mi yuting is currently sweeping the chinese league with not less than 9 wins in a row,winning his game in every round so far.Truly impressive.

Post #17 Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 6
GD Posts: 20
Wow, this kid sounds like one to watch out for.

Btw, if people are looking for good coverage of a complex fighting game by Gu Li or Lee Sedol, then, if you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend this youtube series on a game between the two. Really shows the depth of thinking pro's are capable of (and even points out some of their mistakes!)

Post #18 Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm 
Gosei

Was liked: 528
Mi Yu Ting finally lost to Choi ChulHan.

Post #19 Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 3
His family name Mi is rare, belongs to the royal family of State of Chu.