It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Site access problem
Post #21 Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
kusto wrote:
I had the same problem recently.
You can fix it by adding this line to your hosts file on whatever device you are accessing the website from.
Code:
50.62.100.1 lifein19x19.com

Example Instructions: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/be ... osts-file/

Also, if your i-devices are jail-broken then you can do the same. This would be done by accessing /etc/hosts with a program like iFile for example.

This is kind of a band-aid solution but I hope it helps someone none the less.

Please please please don't modify your hosts file unless you really know what you are doing. It can cause a lot of weird and problematic behavior, and may prevent you from getting to the site in the future if the IP address ever changes. This is not entirely unlikely, and by that point, you will likely have forgotten that the file was modified and be tearing your hair out because it works for everyone else.

This post by skydyr was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #22 Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:49 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
skydyr wrote:
Please please please don't modify your hosts file unless you really know what you are doing. It can cause a lot of weird and problematic behavior, and may prevent you from getting to the site in the future if the IP address ever changes. This is not entirely unlikely, and by that point, you will likely have forgotten that the file was modified and be tearing your hair out because it works for everyone else.

Then what is the solution? To answer here costs my about 10 to 15 minutes. I get a time-out 4 out 5. I get 500 Error-Messages all the time.

I read lifein19x19.com mostly through my webbased rss-reader, where all works fine but as soon as i come here to search something or write something i lose a lot of unnecessary time...

Please, please change something. Is it the hoster? Are you using godaddy.com ... ?! Just do something. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post #23 Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:19 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 19
KGS: virre
DGS: virre
OGS: virre
betterlife wrote:
skydyr wrote:

Then what is the solution? To answer here costs my about 10 to 15 minutes. I get a time-out 4 out 5. I get 500 Error-Messages all the time.

I read lifein19x19.com mostly through my webbased rss-reader, where all works fine but as soon as i come here to search something or write something i lose a lot of unnecessary time...

Please, please change something. Is it the hoster? Are you using godaddy.com ... ?! Just do something. :cry: :cry: :cry:

While it is a risk, especially if the IP is likely to have frequent changes, the risk and problems will be very limited, and as long as you remember that you changed the host file it will not be any big risk.

(As a webbdeveloper in my professional life, my hosts file is filled with rewrites-.)

Although it is always best to avoid doing it. Though the sugested change to a stable IP would be the best solution. (Acctually the best solution, but probably too expensive is a ip to a load balancer, which then routes traffic to app-server(s). As 500 errors also can be code and speed issues. Also the fact that you get a 500 error means you reach the server, and the server logs should say what happened, so depending on what type of hosting, the log should be available))

This post by virre was liked by 2 people: betterlife, Joaz Banbeck