All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DDK books?
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:43 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
KGS: SumaW
IGS: Sumakid8
Online playing schedule: IGS every day around 6, every other weekend, nearly all day, KGS
Useful cheap books to help improve DDK? I would like suggestions for L&D and problem books, maybe some Joseki and Fuseki to help improve!

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:54 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi SumaW, have you read The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich ? You may enjoy it.

This post by EdLee was liked by: moyoaji

Post subject: Re:
Post #3 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:08 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
KGS: SumaW
IGS: Sumakid8
Online playing schedule: IGS every day around 6, every other weekend, nearly all day, KGS
EdLee wrote:
Hi SumaW, have you read The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich ? You may enjoy it.

I have not, but I'll check it out.

Post subject: Re: DDK books?
Post #4 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:23 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
I hear good things about the Graded Go Problems for Beginners series also. Volume 1 is really the 20-30k book, but volumes 2 and then 3 should be good for a while. I understand that volume 4 is pretty solidly SDK territory.

I have never actually read any of these apart from volume 1, however.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:23 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
I also like Graded Go Problems for Beginners, volumes 1 and 2.

Post #6 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 9
KGS: foe
If you like school workbook style, I like the Level Up series from baduktopia. I feel it was very helpful when I started at around 18k. A nice progression, and was fun as well. It introduces lots of techniques, joseki, fuseki, and more. I'm on the second series now, jump level up, and am on the verge of breaking into SDK.

Post #7 Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:55 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 789
If you want to improve, then do not look for cheap books, but look for good books. However, there are cheaper options (files) of some good books.

An advice needs to be split for absolute beginners versus DDK in the range 20k - 10k. I do not know the books for absolute beginners too well, so I do not make a recommendation for particular ones. Concerning books (also) for 20k - 10k, don't miss the following:

- First Fundamentals
- Graded Go Problems 2
- Lessons in the Fundamentals // EGF 13k+
- Life and Death Problems 1 - Basics
- Second Book of Go // you can postpone the semeai chapter
- Tesuji (Davies)
- Treasure Chest Enigma // entertainment only

There are others, but they are not necessarily DDK first considerations.

If you really want to spend as little money as possible, read the PDF of First Fundamentals and find some easy, free problems in the internet.

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 9
KGS: moboy78
IGS: moboy78
Graded Go Problems for Beginners is also another really popular study tool for DDKs

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 153
Was liked: 41
Universal go server handle: happysocks
Graded Go Problems for Beginners vol II is one of my favorite go books and a wonderful book for DDK's with a really nice variety of problems: tesuji, life and death, seki, ko, opening, endgame. Have been through this book a few times and will probably read it a couple more because the quality of problems make it a pleasure to work through. Only did a few pages of vol III where I discovered the problems were a little bit difficult for me and decided to work on other books before continuing but you can read a nice review of it (and many other go books) here: http://www.bengozen.com/book-review-graded-go-problems-for-beginners-vol-3

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
SumaW wrote:
Useful cheap books to help improve DDK? I would like suggestions for L&D and problem books, maybe some Joseki and Fuseki to help improve!

Many other players can give you suggestions for books. I just want to point out you might then request inter-library loans to review before deciding which books to purchase. Try searching different ways: author, title, subject. See: http://www.worldcat.org/ and some (few) digital books at https://openlibrary.org/ (the latter also has some participation agreement with the state of Indiana; probably other states, too, but a banner for Indiana automatically loads for me)

Post #11 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
happysocks wrote:
Graded Go Problems for Beginners vol II is one of my favorite go books and a wonderful book for DDK's

Yup.

I have a few books aimed at the DDK level kicking around that are explanatory, with diagrams and maybe some annotated examples. They have all been helpful (in particular, Bozulich's The Second Book of Go), but last week I started on GGPFB 2 and wished I'd found it months ago.

Some of its answers are annotated - in particular, there is often a 'wrong answer' with a short discussion of why it's wrong - but mostly it's just problem after problem after problem, drilling the same idea in a slightly trickier way each time. I can feel my reading getting better page by page.

It is awesome. I'm only halfway through and I think it's my favourite Go book already. When I'm done I'm going to order volume 3, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'm going to run through it again upside down.