It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Book: Positional Judgement 2 - Dynamics
Post #1 Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:01 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
My 12th book Positional Judgement 2 - Dynamics teaches the dynamic aspects of the middle game (reductions, invasions, influence, aji, fights etc.) and the related positional judgement with theory and examples, and also has 100 problems. The book is for 5 kyu to 5 dan and is available for EUR 26.50 (printed) or EUR 13.25 (PDF file).

Information:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/PositionalJudgement.html
Cover:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/PositionalJ ... _Cover.png
Table of contents:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/PositionalJ ... _2_TOC.pdf
Sample pages:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/PositionalJ ... Sample.pdf
Review:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/PositionalJ ... eview.html

Review by the author on L19:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12540

Post subject: Re: New Book: Positional Judgement 2 - Dynamics
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:09 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
In different threads, there have been difficult questions about the book, which I could not (fully) answer yet because it has been more urgent to write the next book and celebrate AlphaGo. Now that the former is at the printer, I have time to answer.

Below, '*' means 'and the related principles / methods in the book' and 'DPJ' means 'dynamic positional judgement'.

QUESTION 1: "Which parts of the theory in the book do professional players apply?"

They know, apply and can describe the following:
- development directions
- connection statuses *
- life statuses *
- options
- invasions *
- statuses of potential invasions *
- DPJ of territories and moyos *
- kinds of aji
- DPJ of exploiting aji *
- DPJ of reductions *
- basic reduction of a big moyo *
- reduction of spheres of dominating influence *
- reduction of influence *
- local potential *
- reduction of local potential
- use of influence *
- use of thickness *
- DPJ of using thickness *
- transformation of thickness *
- basics of fights *
- types of fights
- basics of fighting *
- DPJ of fighting *

They apply the following but probably have an only subconscious or implicit understanding and so, AFAIK, cannot describe it explicitly equally clearly:
- evaluation of fights in terms of numbers of neutral stones *
- stability statuses *
- unsettled group average
- advanced reduction of a big moyo *
- influence
- influence stone difference and its basic application *
- thickness
- detailed descriptions of fights *
- fighting region and its value
- DPJ by fighting region and its value *

They do not know the following but circumvent it with more complicated theory or subconscious thinking:
- advanced application of influence stone difference *

Hence the answer to the question is: professional players apply almost all of the theory described in the book although, AFAIK, they cannot describe everything explicitly and clearly but partially use unnecessarily complicated theory or related subconscious thinking. Due to the close relation between the theory in the book and the theory applied by professional players and my inclusion of every aspect of DPJ theory I have seen applied in professional games, the book is very useful for learning the theory applied by professional players.

This discussion also answers the related question why professional players do not apply or explain some of the theory of the book: they have not done the related research and have not invested the same effort into translating subconscious thinking or implicit knowledge into direct and explicit knowledge, and writing down the many essential principles of DPJ.

QUESTION 2: "What are the teaching methods of the book?"

The book describes the theory of DPJ applied by professional players. It even describes explicitly and clearly those parts of theory probably only known subconsciously or implicitly. Where knowledge of professional players is unnecessarily complicated or ambiguous, the book presents explicit, clear knowledge that can be applied more easily.

The other teaching methods are: principles, methods, definition of terms, examples, explanations, problems + answers, structure of the topics, tactical reading and simple counting. The principles, methods and definitions are reasonably to very general in their application, as verified by studying hundreds of games of professional players.

The DPJ concepts of the book favour present and future. Concepts assessing the past (the effect of the earlier game sequence on the current position) are only used where necessary. In my opinion, predicting the future (the further development of a game) is more accurate by concentrating on analysis of the present and future than by trying to infer the future from the past. Practically speaking, this means that efficiency and tewari of earlier played stones are not described in general. Instead, the concepts of the book are more reliable in almost all practical cases.

QUESTION 3: "Is the theory of the book sufficient for DPJ?"

Sufficient is a term used, e.g., in physics. Of course the theory is not sufficient in such a strict sense because go is too complex for complete tactical reading or assessment of all advanced details. Although the principles and other theory are as general as possible for such a book, there are exceptional positions in which limits of applicability are reached. In such cases, if we are lucky, the skipped concepts of analysing the past might sometimes be useful nevertheless. Similarly, strategic concepts and so on not described in this book can occasionally be useful for DPJ when the regularly necessary strategic concepts of the book are insufficient. Every book has to set some limits to its own scope of discussion. This book concentrates on the most relevant aspects for DPJ. The even more relevant aspect of territorial positional judgement has been described in Volume 1. Needless to say, there would be scope for a Volume 3 to discuss the most important of the other concepts, such as those assessing the past. On the other hand, they have been described to some extent in the literature, see e.g. Joseki 2 - Strategy.

QUESTION 4: "Does research inhibit learning from the book?"

Quite contrarily, the inclusion of some results of my research and their presentation using the aforementioned teaching methods eases learning from the book. See above for related simplification and clarification of theory. Needless to say, the book is written for go players who benefit from the fruits produced by my research but see nothing about the research process.

QUESTION 5: "Why is territorial positional judgement insufficient and why do we also need DPJ?"

Territorial positional judgement is enough during the endgame or in peaceful positions with settled groups but without potential for great changes to the territory regions. In all other positions, the dynamic aspects of a position must also be taken into account and related to the territory count: statuses, options, invasions, reductions, aji, local potential, influence, thickness and fights. The quality of positional judgement increases by including more dynamic aspects, accuracy of their judgement and accuracy of their relation to the territory count. The good books for intermediate players advise to consider both current territory and influence representing the potential for additional territory. However, still such advice pretends simplicity for the 5 kyu who is just learning to use influence. In reality, all the other dynamic aspects must also be evaluated so that we get a truely profound DPJ. It is not like we could judge territory, influence and thickness but overlook statuses, options, invasions, reductions, aji, local potential and fights. We need them because statuses are always essential and because options, invasions, reductions, aji, local potential and fights do occur. Actually, they occur in every game! How could anybody suggest that positional judgement consisted of nothing but territory counting?!

QUESTION 6: "I know what are statuses, options, invasions, reductions, aji, influence, thickness and fights. I can postpone local potential until dan level. Why then do I need to read the book?

Knowing that these strategic concepts exist tells us nothing yet how to do accurate and meaningful DPJ for each. The book explains this.

But, you might object: "Since I can count territory; is this not good enough for my current level?" Maybe it is. If you want to remain at your current level. The farther your rank increases beyond 5 kyu, the more relevant consideration of all the strategic concepts and their impact on DPJ become for assessment of every current position and strategic planning by comparing the resulting positions of different imagined variations. Correct judgement enables making correct next move decisions.