It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guanzi Pu, Free Ebook Version (PDF)
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:47 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Hi,

I recently made a complete PDF (ebook) version of the Guanzi Pu -- a classic Chinese problem collection from 1660 -- and could not find such a version on western websites, so thought I would share here for anyone interested. It includes all 1473-problems (plus a few extras) and answers. You can use it on your ebook reader, PC, or other portable device you may have. Hope it's useful.

Sensei's Library wrote:
Guanzi Pu (官子谱 Hanyu Pinyin: guānzǐpǔ) is a large classic Chinese problem collection (1473 problems) in circulation from the sixteenth century onwards. First author/editor Guo Bailing. Published in 1660; again edited and published 1689 by Tao Shiyu.

The name implies endgame problems, and the collection has many examples of a relatively unusual type of question: not orthodox life and death, but ways to attack a group that can live with best play, but at the cost of points to the defender. The collection expanded to include many types of problems - effectively any way of exploiting bad shape.

Attachments:
File comment: Guanzi Pu
Guanzi Pu.pdf [3.71 MiB]
Downloaded 8023 times

This post by logan was liked by 21 people: 1/7,000,000,000, Bill Spight, Bonobo, Dante31, ez4u, Gojira, Hushfield, hyperpape, illluck, Jaafar, jgr314, Justin2013, Koosh, lleig, Mef, Ruoshi Sun, Splatted, Tami, TheBigH, u_heilmann, wolfking

Post subject: Re: Guanzi Pu, Free Ebook Version (PDF)
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
logan wrote:
Sensei's Library wrote:
The collection expanded to include many types of problems - effectively any way of exploiting bad shape.

This is just the kind of thing I was looking for! Thanks logan! :D

Post #3 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 29
KGS: DefLow
Universal go server handle: DeFlow
Good job Logan!

I have one question; could you estimate how hard these problems are? I don't want to waste any of the problems by finding the wrong answers and then looking at the solution. =]

Post #4 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
http://senseis.xmp.net/?GuanziPu

http://de.scribd.com/doc/7235474/%E5%9B ... F%E7%89%88

DeFlow wrote:
Good job Logan!

I have one question; could you estimate how hard these problems are? I don't want to waste any of the problems by finding the wrong answers and then looking at the solution. =]

Guanzi Pu is one of the Problem Collections that is considered high dan / pro level. Although iirc it is the easiest of those. Some problems are easy at the beginning, but iirc it ramps up.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
logan wrote:
Hi,

I recently made a complete PDF (ebook) version of the Guanzi Pu -- a classic Chinese problem collection from 1660 -- and could not find such a version on western websites, so thought I would share here for anyone interested. It includes all 1473-problems (plus a few extras) and answers. You can use it on your ebook reader, PC, or other portable device you may have. Hope it's useful.

I typeset the problems some years ago. One copy of the PDF is hosted at http://www.vega-nick.com/go/GuanZiPu/gzp.pdf. It's set with multiple problem per page, but doesn't include the solutions.

This post by pwaldron was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am 
Lives in gote

Thank-you for the kind words everyone. Happy it's useful.

DeFlow wrote:
It has a wide audience. The difficult ranges from DDK-Dan. Some problems have 1-2 move solutions while others 30+.

When I imagine the context of the classic problems sets, in a time when there were not hundreds of tsumego books, and the size of the Guanzi Pu, I can imagine this set guiding someone from their time as a beginner to professional. Some problems were too difficult for them at certain points, so they would regularly revisit the collection (along with the Xuanxuan Qijing) solving more and more problems until they truly mastered the entire set. Even such recent, top players as Lee Sedol have talked about their dedicated learning from the classic problem sets.

pwaldron wrote:
I typeset the problems some years ago. One copy of the PDF is hosted at http://www.vega-nick.com/go/GuanZiPu/gzp.pdf. It's set with multiple problem per page, but doesn't include the solutions.
Yes, I saw this version pwaldron. Thank-you for your hard work :)

As you mentioned, it doesn't include the solutions; and also doesn't contain all the problems (missing a few hundred).

Post #7 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
Thanks very much for sharing!

This problem collection is very highly considered by a YC/Tygem 9d who thought it was key contributor for him getting to 9d from 7d in two years.

This post by illluck was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
illluck wrote:
[..] key contributor for him getting to 9d from 7d in two years.
OK, then I guess I better print it out and burn it.

<edit 2018-08-17>
LOL, somebody “liked” this comment, and only now I realise that I apparently misread illluck’s comment, I misunderstood it thus: that it contributed to a decline, to getting from 9d to 7d in two years ;-)
I must’ve thought that it was either a mistake or sarcasm or something, therefore my odd remark

Sorry for that. Bad reading, just like in my games.
</edit 2018-08-17>

Last edited by Bonobo on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

This post by Bonobo was liked by 2 people: EdLee, eyecatcher

Post #9 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Any chance of posting the sgf used to create the pdf? There are a several software packages now that can make good use of problems in sgf format.

Thanks for the pdf version.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:20 am 
Lives in gote

I got .SGF problems from http://www.u-go.net/classic/ & http://www.flygo.net/jdqp.html. But there are many other website too.

Go to section 死活名著 (Life & Death Classics) for problem collections. There is nice one "濑越宪作死活辞典" (Segoe's Tsumego Dictionary). Also, online interactive version of other classics: http://www.101weiqi.com/book/

You can use 'Print' feature from free programs like Drago to help print .SGF collections; and free ebook creators, such as Bullzip.

You don't need lot of money to become strong at go, just consistent hard-work :)

This post by logan was liked by: Splatted

Post #11 Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 27
KGS: venkman, M2Brett1
logan wrote:
Hi,

I recently made a complete PDF (ebook) version of the Guanzi Pu -- a classic Chinese problem collection from 1660 -- and could not find such a version on western websites, so thought I would share here for anyone interested. It includes all 1473-problems (plus a few extras) and answers. You can use it on your ebook reader, PC, or other portable device you may have. Hope it's useful

Thanks! Do you think you could recreate it so that all the answers are at the end, instead of following the problems?

Post #12 Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:44 pm 
Lives in gote

crux wrote:
Thanks! Do you think you could recreate it so that all the answers are at the end, instead of following the problems?

Attachments:
Guanzi Pu.pdf [3.92 MiB]
Downloaded 2587 times

This post by logan was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, crux, Jaafar, lobotommy

Post #13 Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:46 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
Thank you! :)

Post #14 Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 4
DGS: MasterOfWTF
OGS: Gojira
thanks for sharing!

Post #15 Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
Wow! Thanks a lot for sharing. This is superb.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 14
I'm very happy to see that all the known works of Guo Bailing are now available

Post #17 Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
This is awesome! Thanks logan. I think it's the perfect tsumego set for low - mid dan players trying to reach high dan level before having to tackle the more difficult Igo Hatsuyoron or Kwon Kapyong's tsumego series.

Post #18 Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Hi, problem 491, why the answer isn't instead of 3, play atari, black capture, then atari with hane on 1st line ? Someone can help me please ?

Post #19 Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
The post where Agrego allegedly quotes logan has a link on which you should not click. I did, because I thought it was about the tool logan used to make this, but it was something very different.

If Agrego posted this on purpose, well ... if not, then please Agrego, adapt your post.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Bonobo

Post #20 Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4620
Quote:
Hi, problem 491, why the answer isn't instead of 3, play atari, black capture, then atari with hane on 1st line ? Someone can help me please ?

Two separate points:

1. If you are referring to Problem 491 of Volume 1, there is no Atari unless 3 is in place.

2. Very many of the problems in the Guanzipu are defective in small but important ways. The commonest issue is surrounding stones missing or misplaced. The answers also omit many significant lines, and in quite a few cases ko solutions are overlooked. Nobody should be using the Guanzipu without a tour guide. A free copy is far from the bargain people think it is.