It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Android app reading KGS archives?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:33 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I have been following the European and US Go Congresses on my phone by looking at the kgs archives pages for the broadcasting accounts EGC2015a-d and USGO1-4 and loading the game in my android phone's sgf viewer (Agora Go Free). This works reasonably well but to refresh I have to close the viewer and download and open the sgf again. This is a bit tedious and means I now have hundreds of EGC/USGC games clogging up my sgf and downloaded files list. Is there any android app that you can give an sgf URL and within the app it auto-refreshes? Or even sticks a pretty UI user/game chooser on front of the archives pages? I seem to recall the Go Eye client has a feature like this but is iOS only. (Yeah I know I can buy the KGS android app but I don't want to give money to KGS anymore what with the mean admins).

Post subject: Re: Android app reading KGS archives?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Uberdude wrote:
(Yeah I know I can buy the KGS android app but I don't want to give money to KGS anymore what with the mean admins).

KGS admins work are volunteers and work for free. They do not profit in any way from the sale of the app. If you want to change admin behaviour, I think it is best to get in contact with them.

Post subject: Re: Android app reading KGS archives?
Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:43 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
sybob wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
(Yeah I know I can buy the KGS android app but I don't want to give money to KGS anymore what with the mean admins).

KGS admins work are volunteers and work for free. They do not profit in any way from the sale of the app. If you want to change admin behaviour, I think it is best to get in contact with them.

First of all I believe the first part is not strictly true, some admins are paid in relation to KGS+ activities (according to one KGS admin). But any way I've long given up trying to change admin behaviour (you can see the results, or lack thereof, when I did discussed in some old threads in the KGS subforum), I just don't wish to give wms my money any more (I used to pay for KGS+) given the lack of care he takes in choosing good admins (I know he delegates much of that to glue (or whoever is the new glue, I don't follow KGS admin politics like I used to) but delegation of work is not delegation of responsibility).

Anyway, I don't expect my little monetary KGS boycott to have any effect other than making me feel better and provoking pointless conversations on forums, so how about any android app with automatic sgf reloading from a url? ;-)