It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go-software for Android?
Post #21 Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Redbeard wrote:
I never had occasion to use the "replace all moves" option, but the "replace one move" came in handy when I was half way through recording a game an discovered a recording mistake from 10+ previous moves. Maybe I'm the only one who makes such mistakes...

Ok, so basically you want to pick one stone, find where it was placed in the sgf tree, replace it to another move, and then have tree at the new state.

I think that should be doable.

Easiest way is to just create a new branch that deletes the previous stone and adds the new stone, but that makes for a messy game to follow later.

Post #22 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
wambat wrote:
Hi, i'm a developer of android go problems (can be found on market), problems solving app.
Could you give the actual name of the app? I did a search on the android market and it didn't turn up.

Post #23 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 am 
Lives in gote

Redbeard wrote:
Has anyone found a SGF recorder for android that has a way to correct the game record on the fly? The main thing I am missing from my old PilotGOne is the convenient "replace move" function. Very useful for recording games during tournaments.
The KGS client lets you undo a move. But if you mean a move other than the most recent one, then no, you would need to undo all the way back to the mistake, fix it, then redo all the later moves.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
wms wrote:
The KGS client lets you undo a move. But if you mean a move other than the most recent one, then no, you would need to undo all the way back to the mistake, fix it, then redo all the later moves.

Does the KGS client now allow you to record games offline? I thought it was only for playing on the server. I am specifically looking for an app to record games during in person tournaments.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Redbeard wrote:
wms wrote:

Does the KGS client now allow you to record games offline? I thought it was only for playing on the server. I am specifically looking for an app to record games during in person tournaments.
The KGS client lets you record to KGS. Not to your SD card. But you can tag your game before you start recording, then your game can be downloaded by going to the KGS archives page with your tagged games. So as long as you have phone service, you get the same functionality as saving to your SD card would give you (except, IMHO, it's easier because the game ends up on a web page instead of on an SD card).

Post #26 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Redbeard wrote:
oren wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Has anyone found a SGF recorder for android that has a way to correct the game record on the fly? The main thing I am missing from my old PilotGOne is the convenient "replace move" function. Very useful for recording games during tournaments.

How does it work from the sgf tree perspective? It probably wouldn't be too hard to add after all the other things I've been meaning to do with gobandroid. :)

With PilotGOne, when you went back to the move in question and selected a different location a menu would pop up and ask if you wanted to create a variation, replace one move, or replace all moves. "create a variation" would start a new tree branch, "replace one move" would change the move in question in the current branch, and "replace all moves" would delete all of the recorded moves after that point.

I never had occasion to use the "replace all moves" option, but the "replace one move" came in handy when I was half way through recording a game an discovered a recording mistake from 10+ previous moves. Maybe I'm the only one who makes such mistakes...

I just uploaded version 1.29 of anDGS in the Android market place with an update to do just what you requested above. The editor has a number of mode options, select "Edit" to do the above, "Markup" will allow you to place labels and standard sgf markup, "Browse" will go to a move. Let me know if anything else is missing.

Now that I have a fairly complete set of working features, I may have to redesign the editor GUI to make it more convenient to get at all the features. I don't use the editor very much so your feedback on where to put things or how to restructure access to the features to make it easier to use would be very helpful. Since I have satisfied my personal needs with the basic DGS client features, everything else is driven by user requests and feedback.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 pm 
Lives with ko

I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Post #28 Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:26 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 4
Mdobbins: I have an feature request: Be able to play using the D-pad of my cellphone. I can see an green square that I can move around with my d-pad, and when I click with the "OK" button in my d-pad it flicks. I haven't figured out for what it is for, but I would love to be able to click and it input the stone in the place I want. Another important detail: make it remember the place it was, so that for the next movement it starts where you left, and not from the edge of the board again. Godroid has it implemented but it always starts from the edge of the screen, wich is annoying. Gobandroid and "Go Free" do it right, for reference.

I have an Galaxy i7500, with an relatively small screen. Inputing the pieces using the d-pad is infinitely more precise than by touch and zoom, and more confortable too, as you always have the full view of the board.

Also, you could make an virtual-d-pad mode for those who lack the dpad. You could put the virtual buttons on the center-botton of the screen, with the "place the stone" button on the side (no acidental press). Or make the dpad bigger, over the board, and disable the traditional touch and zoom method (make an swich to alternate between the two modes). The latter seems more complex, but may be better.

Anyway, what I need now is only the first request. Can it be done? :D :?:

Post #29 Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Caroliano wrote:
Mdobbins: I have an feature request: Be able to play using the D-pad of my cellphone. I can see an green square that I can move around with my d-pad, and when I click with the "OK" button in my d-pad it flicks. I haven't figured out for what it is for, but I would love to be able to click and it input the stone in the place I want. Another important detail: make it remember the place it was, so that for the next movement it starts where you left, and not from the edge of the board again. Godroid has it implemented but it always starts from the edge of the screen, wich is annoying. Gobandroid and "Go Free" do it right, for reference.

I have an Galaxy i7500, with an relatively small screen. Inputing the pieces using the d-pad is infinitely more precise than by touch and zoom, and more confortable too, as you always have the full view of the board.

Also, you could make an virtual-d-pad mode for those who lack the dpad. You could put the virtual buttons on the center-botton of the screen, with the "place the stone" button on the side (no acidental press). Or make the dpad bigger, over the board, and disable the traditional touch and zoom method (make an swich to alternate between the two modes). The latter seems more complex, but may be better.

Anyway, what I need now is only the first request. Can it be done? :D :?:

This sound like a nice addition to optionally use the dpad for making moves in both the client and the editor (I already use the dpad for moving through the game record in browse mode.) I will put it high on my list for the next update.

In the mean time, have you used the portrait7 layout option, it zooms to a 7x7 area which will have larger stones than the default portrait9 layout option which zooms to a 9x9 area.

Post #30 Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 4
Yeah, it is really much better. I haven't tried it before. But the d-pad is still safer.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am 
Lives in gote

Just found a new go app for my android, called just "Go Free" (and they have a paid version) by AI Factory. It lets you play against an AI.

On the plus side, it looks very pretty. It plays go. It lets you pick board size and handicap. I can't just the strength - I can beat it in an even game without much effort at 9x9, but it feels like it might put up a decent fight for somebody in the 10k or under range.

On the minus side, the input is hard to use (it drops the stone under your finger, where you can't see for sure that it is in the right place), scoring is problematic (doesn't let you adjust living/dead stones), and it feels slow because each time the computer puts a stone down, there's a blinky animation. You can't make your move while the animation is going, so when you know the exact response and tap your finger the moment you see the computer's stone, your tap gets ignored. That kind of thing drives me nuts.

Maybe this is old news to the rest of you, but I was pleased to find it.

Post #32 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 am 
Oza

wms wrote:
Just found a new go app for my android, called just "Go Free" (and they have a paid version) by AI Factory. It lets you play against an AI.

There is also GoDroid and Gobandroid let you play against gnugo. Settings to gnugo are selectable.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:20 am 
Lives in gote

oren wrote:
wms wrote:

There is also GoDroid and Gobandroid let you play against gnugo. Settings to gnugo are selectable.

I knew of godroid. It's OK, but not as pretty as Go Free.

Just tried gobandroid. The input was awkward again, the graphics weren't so nice, and after the game it said I had won by claiming that two clearly dead AI groups were actually alive. :(

Post #34 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 am 
Oza

wms wrote:

Just tried gobandroid. The input was awkward again, the graphics weren't so nice, and after the game it said I had won by claiming that two clearly dead AI groups were actually alive. :(

I don't tend to use goDroid, so I can't comment. One of my goals for gobandroid was to get the "kgs" style of input going, so that I can see where I'm placing stones. That's my biggest problem with it as well. The graphics with the "sente" board and stones look find to me. Ligi when writing it separated out the skins so the default look is unfortunately awful. It should just probably come installed with one or both skins. That game against gnugo does sound amusing. I can't comment too much on the gnugo aspects, since I use that feature rarely. You can post the game to https://github.com/ligi/gobandroid/issues , and we can take a look at it.

Post #35 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:18 pm 
Lives in gote

oren wrote:
wms wrote:

I don't tend to use goDroid, so I can't comment. One of my goals for gobandroid was to get the "kgs" style of input going, so that I can see where I'm placing stones. That's my biggest problem with it as well. The graphics with the "sente" board and stones look find to me. Ligi when writing it separated out the skins so the default look is unfortunately awful. It should just probably come installed with one or both skins. That game against gnugo does sound amusing. I can't comment too much on the gnugo aspects, since I use that feature rarely. You can post the game to https://github.com/ligi/gobandroid/issues , and we can take a look at it.
Ah! Right, with the "sente" skin it looks much nicer. You should package the skin with the app, usually I don't bother with skins, I just want a good looking UI without having to screw around. Plus it bothers me that the skin installer is gone, with the skins still there, so I assume if I uninstall gobandroid I'll still have the skin images sitting around on my SD card. Yuck.

But on the good side, I found out that by tapping stones you can change which groups are alive and dead. That's really nice. So my second game vs. gnugo went better, in the end I was able to correctly tell it that all the gnugo stones were dead and get my win!

Post #36 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
I just bought a mobile device I can play go on. I wanted an ipod touch, but wasn't willing to pay $229 for it. I don't need or want a cell phone, and didn't want an expensive contract. So I found an Archos 5 on clearance for $150. It is basically a 5 inch tablet, slightly bigger than an ipod touch. It runs google's android operating system, but has a really old version of it, Donut 1.6. Nonetheless, it seems to do everything I want it too. I downloaded Gobandroid for recording games, which seems pretty good if you install the skins. Hopefully I can try it out at club today. I also bought Magic Baduk for $3, which gives you 1,350 Go problems in four different skill levels. I figure that should do me for airplanes, and any time I am stuck waiting somewhere. One drawback is that I can't access any of the new apps that come out, because they are all running on Android 2.2, Froyo, and will soon be going to Honeycomb. There is a hack to install Froyo on the Archos, but it looks pretty complicated. So I am thinking I will just stick with the current operating system.

I had originally wanted Android so I could install the KGS client, but it doesn't appear to offer a way to record games, unless you are online. The Archos is not a phone, and is hence dependent on local wireless networks. I need to be able to record games when it is not online, so I haven't gotten KGS yet. Anyone else out there have an Android device, and which programs are you using if so? Should I try hack to Froyo, or are there not that many new programs for Go that I am missing out on?

Post #37 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm 
Oza

shimari wrote:
I had originally wanted Android so I could install the KGS client, but it doesn't appear to offer a way to record games, unless you are online. The Archos is not a phone, and is hence dependent on local wireless networks. I need to be able to record games when it is not online, so I haven't gotten KGS yet. Anyone else out there have an Android device, and which programs are you using if so? Should I try hack to Froyo, or are there not that many new programs for Go that I am missing out on?

Try gobandroid. There are still some fixes I'd like to do, but the more users, the better. :)

Post #38 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 pm 
Lives with ko

shimari wrote:
Anyone else out there have an Android device, and which programs are you using if so? Should I try hack to Froyo, or are there not that many new programs for Go that I am missing out on?

I have been using anDGS to record games. The "replace move" function is invaluable for recording during a match and I like the way it handles variations.
(sorry Oren :-? ).
I'm not sure about compatibility, but it's a free program so it won't hurt to try.

Post #39 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
Yes, I have both Gobandroid and andgs. I like Gobandroid more, but that replace a move feature in andgs is really cool. I too used to use a palm pilot, redbeard, and that feature was quite handy. I think mis-recording a stone is quite common, at least I seem to do it often. Oren and Michael have both done good jobs with these programs. Are there updates for these programs that are not available on the 1.6 operating system?

Post #40 Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 am 
Oza

shimari wrote:
Are there updates for these programs that are not available on the 1.6 operating system?

gobandroid doesn't use any features past 1.6, and I'd be surprised if AnDGS did either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next