It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Go-software for Android?
Post #81 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
hyperpape wrote:
So $.00033 per impression? :shock:

400 impressions/day * 1% hit rate = 4 hits per day = 120 hits/month, so $0.033 per hit.

Sounds about right to me. My hit rates are between 1% and 4%, and income per hit of a few pennies isn't unusual.

Post #82 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
hyperpape wrote:
So $.00033 per impression? :shock:

Sounds about right, I was estimating about 1000 impressions to get one cent. The real money comes from a click through which is up into the 1 to 3 cents each range. So all of that would be in the range you calculated. Which really makes the $1m per month that Angry Birds draws from ad revenue impressive. ;)

Post #83 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
mdobbins wrote:

But, I still mean what I said, If the ads offend your principles or cause a negative effect of your data plan, please turn them off. I am more interested in having happy users than making any money.

As far a making money from this app let me be transparent. After about a month and a half, it looks like this app takes in about $4.00 per month. It costs me $12.00 per month for the in the cloud repository I set up so that if my computer crashes I can recover or if I die or become mentally disabled and unable to program, someone else can easily continue support of this app. So a net loss of $8.00 per month, not a money maker only a relatively inexpensive hobby. ;)

I wasn't objecting to the ads at all actually. I was concerned because I read that the DroidDreams malware program, which has been in the headlines for several days, functions by installing fake ads on your device. When you click on one of these ads, it takes you to a 404 site not found page, but actually installs malware on the root of your device. Once it has access, it can do whatever it wants with your device, and can access all of your passwords, etc...

I clicked on an ad on anDGS, and it went to a 404 page, so I assumed I had been infected. Looks like it was a legitimate 404 page though, and not a malware one. Since my device is not a phone, it relies on wireless access at a given location. I have this about 50% of the time, which is why the KGS app for Android wouldn't work for me. Since I have wireless only part of the time I use the device, I didn't even realize anDGS had ads in it. Now that I know, I will click on them when I see them. That way I can give you my two cents worth, lol.

Post #84 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lives with ko

shimari wrote:
I wasn't objecting to the ads at all actually. I was concerned because I read that the DroidDreams malware program, which has been in the headlines for several days, functions by installing fake ads on your device. When you click on one of these ads, it takes you to a 404 site not found page, but actually installs malware on the root of your device. Once it has access, it can do whatever it wants with your device, and can access all of your passwords, etc...

I clicked on an ad on anDGS, and it went to a 404 page, so I assumed I had been infected. Looks like it was a legitimate 404 page though, and not a malware one. Since my device is not a phone, it relies on wireless access at a given location. I have this about 50% of the time, which is why the KGS app for Android wouldn't work for me. Since I have wireless only part of the time I use the device, I didn't even realize anDGS had ads in it. Now that I know, I will click on them when I see them. That way I can give you my two cents worth, lol.

I am concerned about those things as well. I did what I could to filter anything questionable in the AdMob filters, did not enable any location information, etc. Still I would urge caution on clicking on suspicious ads just like you would use caution on ads on a google search page in any browser. I follow the Android scene daily so I am concerned about some of the emerging trends. If I see that AdMob is not protecting us from malware ads I will hard disable ads. In the mean time lets all be careful out there.

Post #85 Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 50
KGS: MatCauthon
GoGrinder is now available for Android.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gogrinder&feature=search_result

Post #86 Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 am 
Lives with ko

anDGS version 1.32 is available on the Android Market, Handster, or my website

Android Market Place:
https://market.android.com/search?q=anDGS&c=apps

Handster:
http://android.handster.com/andgs.html?dm=1&multi=1

My Download page:
http://www.hellogovernance.com/android-apps/andgs/apps

This release has minor bug fixes, including a fix to remove the need to restart on adding user/password the first time. It also has a much better German translation.

One issue is that the app displays non-latin characters as a diamond-? character. This shows up mostly in user names. I am using UTF-8 from the server, but anyone have a clue as to how to get a proper character display in Android? All the online examples and help are not helpful.

Post #87 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
Well, after all this time tinkering with my Archos to get it to do what I wanted it to, I left it in a taxicab in New York City, lol. It must have fallen out of my pocket. However, I decided I really like Android now. So I got the updated Archos 43. It has a smaller screen, but runs Android 2.2 Froyo, which is a huge improvement. So I was able to get Wegoigo, and the new Gogrinder too, and I am having fun playing with all these new apps. Don't try to load Kogo's Joseki Dictionary on GoGrinder though. It will freeze it, and the only way to get it to recover is to delete the dictionary from the file manager. Kogo's works great on Wegoigo though. The screen is so small though, I really wish it had an enlarged mode like anDGS and Gobandroid do. The circle thing is okay, but it is still really hard to see. Joseki are mainly in the corner anyway, so a zoomed board display would be really useful.

A note on Gobandroid: It can actually replace a wrongly recorded move, and quite nicely. Just scroll back to where the mis-recorded stone is, and click on it. It turns transparent. Click on the intersection it is supposed to be on, and the stone will appear there. Now scroll forward and all of the rest of the game is exactly the way you recorded it. This is very handy, and works very simply without any confusion.

Post #88 Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Hey, recently got a tablet, so I'm starting to fiddle with gobandroid, andgs, and KGS. Each seems to have its own appeals, so I intend to use each for slightly different things.

A few questions:

Andgs: Is there an option to enable coordinates? I'd like to have them when reviewing games, and I'm spoiled by the forum. Second, I was setting up some of my games from OGS for autoplay in their own folder, but the 'browse' dialogue doesn't seem to let me actually change directories. Am I doing something wrong?

Gobandroid: Was going to ask about coordinates here, but I think I just found the option! Additionally, the SGF of my Malkovich with Fwiffo seems to crash it, but there may be weird characters, or too many.

I'll post any other questions I have, as I delve deeper.

Post #89 Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Chew Terr wrote:
Gobandroid: Was going to ask about coordinates here, but I think I just found the option! Additionally, the SGF of my Malkovich with Fwiffo seems to crash it, but there may be weird characters, or too many.

Can you post it here or send it to me. I'll check it out. Kogo's also make it freeze, and I do want to fix that. I have a couple of other projects first for when I get the time.

There are a lot of options with gobandroid which can make it confusing. A lot of people think it looks awful until you notice you can download skins. The one place I disagree with the main author is we really should have a default skin there.

This post by oren was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #90 Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:28 am 
Gosei

oren wrote:
Chew Terr wrote:

Can you post it here or send it to me. I'll check it out. Kogo's also make it freeze, and I do want to fix that. I have a couple of other projects first for when I get the time.

The SGF is posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=22417#p22417
I'm not that worried about it, because I'm not really trying to study that game, I just was going to use it as a sample to test the coordinate option. I'll lte you know if I come up with any real questions, I'm still too novice to know what to ask. =D Still figuring out what the tablet itself can do. =)

Post #91 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Chew Terr wrote:
Hey, recently got a tablet, so I'm starting to fiddle with gobandroid, andgs, and KGS. Each seems to have its own appeals, so I intend to use each for slightly different things.

congratulations, let us know of any strange issues, some of us developers don't have tables yet ;)
Chew Terr wrote:
A few questions:

Andgs: Is there an option to enable coordinates? I'd like to have them when reviewing games, and I'm spoiled by the forum. Second, I was setting up some of my games from OGS for autoplay in their own folder, but the 'browse' dialogue doesn't seem to let me actually change directories. Am I doing something wrong?

There is a Board Coordinates checkbox in the Preferences menu off the anDGS Home page.

The browse will let you change directories. When browsing in Autoplay, the browse function needs to know if you are entering the directory to selecting something else (either another directory or a file) of if you are selecting the directory for an auto play of the entire directory. The popup that says select or enter is asking this question. If you are running through a bunch of directories (up or down through the directory tree) this extra popup at each step can be a bit tedious.

This is a case of get it functional and then improve it if needed. Thinking about it now, it might be better to simply browse with a short press and maybe use a long press to select. Individual file selection has no ambiguity.

Try it and if you would like a different model like the short/long press for directory names let me know and I will put it in. (it may be better to also PM me as I might miss a post here)

mike

This post by mdobbins was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #92 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:40 pm 
Gosei

Thank you! First, I can't believe I somehow missed the coordinates option. Secondly, I had a bit of trouble grasping the folder selection in the toop at first, but after having read your post, I found it and am very pleased with the functionality. Set it up with an extended series of games I played on OGS, and played it with a 3-second delay or so, and I'm enjoying it as a background entertainment. =D

Post #93 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Has this already been posted here: http://gowrite.net/hactar/

Post #94 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:49 pm 
Oza

Chew Terr wrote:
oren wrote:
Chew Terr wrote:

The SGF is posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=22417#p22417
I'm not that worried about it, because I'm not really trying to study that game, I just was going to use it as a sample to test the coordinate option. I'll lte you know if I come up with any real questions, I'm still too novice to know what to ask. =D Still figuring out what the tablet itself can do. =)

I just tested the sgf, and it worked for me on the current version of gobandroid. What failed for you?

Post #95 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 am 
Gosei

Oren: Hmmm, on the loading screen, it says 'Loading SGF' and the move shown is move 28.

Also, I don't remember if this has been posted before, but the 6-stone handicap placement is improper. It had three on the left, two on the right, and one in the middle. Not a huge thing, but seemed odd.

Post #96 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 am 
Oza

Chew Terr wrote:
Also, I don't remember if this has been posted before, but the 6-stone handicap placement is improper. It had three on the left, two on the right, and one in the middle. Not a huge thing, but seemed odd.

Will fix this one tonight.

This post by oren was liked by: Chew Terr