It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master of Go- Baduk - Android
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
Just found a cool new problem app on Android. Search for Master of Go in the market. It has over a thousand problems for .99 cents! They are sorted into four levels, but I found even the "easy" ones quite useful for my level (1K). Probably not so good for beginners, but SDK up will enjoy this. Also, there was a problem with the level selection when I downloaded the app. I posted about it, and the developer released an update the fixed it the very next day! I love Android, you just don't get this kind of responsiveness from Apple, lol. Here is a link, not sure if it will work: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result

Post subject: Re: Master of Go- Baduk - Android
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I got this app a couple of weeks ago ... and IMO it sucks! My screen size is not properly supported (HTC wildfire) - the bottom two buttons are off screen and the sound effects are too loud and can't be turned off as far as I know. I emailed the developers and got a thanks for your feedback generic response but it was never fixed. Good job we've got go grinder now.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:27 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I'm not sure you're entitled to complain that a 240x320 screen is lacking support. That's tiny.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
short answer - complaining that it doesn't support my screen resolution isn't the salient point of my post. I stated the fact then complained that they couldn't be bothered with a proper reply even after I went to the trouble of writing a very polite email.

long answer (sorry for the rant!) -

Actually I'm sure I am entitled to complain since I paid for it - but actually if you read my post I'm pointing out why it didn't work for me - at least one other forum user has a HTC wildfire (they're popular phones and the screen resolution is low but the screen's not tiny at all) but more importantly mentioning my experience with their 'customer support'. - If it didn't support my screen specs it shouldn't show up on the market place for me. To be honest I don't care if does support it I was only trying to improve the Android Go market by providing feedback (for the money I spent I would be happy with a polite - "sorry we don't have the time to fix it"). Plus I presume the sound effects are annoying how ever much you spend on your phone. GoGrinder is 1000% better than this app, for example.

The HTC wildfire is quite a popular phone and most apps manage to support it's screen just fine - GoGrinder did not originally work for that resolution then the author kindly fixed it! - it works perfectly well now, even on my 'tiny' screen and I don't think it's difficult to do. The DGS client works fine, so does the KGS client and several other Go apps I have. So does facebook, Amazon, ebay apps etc. So basically it's only poorly tested apps that it's a problem for. I'm not going to hold back in posting a review because someone might say I don't have a good enough phone! (and again, I mentioned what phone I have so anyone with the spend-as-much-as-you-can smartphone can disregard as they want!!! I know I got a cheaper smartphone so I certainly don't feel I can demand all apps support it's screen specs.

now I have never bought an apple gadget but this points out a big weakness of the Android market - too many different screen sizes.

edit: I'm glad for this thread as I'd forgotten all about it and hadn't gotten around to deleting the offending app.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:23 am 
Tengen

CnP, you're entirely right that it's a crummy support response. In partial defense, they're probably hobbyists, or professionals doing this as a side project--customer support is probably not their forte or passion.

Btw: removing the app from the market for screen resolution isn't trivial. Either the developer needs to get a huge variety of phones to test (maybe this could be done well in a simulator), or they'd have to specifically exclude phones that they knew would be too small.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:46 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
hyperpape wrote:
CnP, you're entirely right that it's a crummy support response. In partial defense, they're probably hobbyists, or professionals doing this as a side project--customer support is probably not their forte or passion.

Btw: removing the app from the market for screen resolution isn't trivial. Either the developer needs to get a huge variety of phones to test (maybe this could be done well in a simulator), or they'd have to specifically exclude phones that they knew would be too small.

Screen resolution is trivially testable without having any phone. Apparently the developers marked it as supporting that resolution without testing how it looks.

This post by kivi was liked by: wms

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
hyperpape wrote:

Kivi has it right. It is very easy to test different resolutions, and also very easy to disallow devices with the "wrong" resolution from buying your app.

I had a few nasty surprises when developing the KGS app, where screen sizes that I didn't know actually existed looked bad or were unusable!!! But on the good side, once you know that size mmmxnnn doesn't work right, it's usually only 15 or 20 minutes to set up the emulator, test, then tweak the GUI config file to make it be at least usable.

So, hobbyist or no, I don't think there is much excuse for not fixing this problem once the developer is aware of it. It's easy to fix, or easy to protect against if you don't want to bother fixing it.

And if you have a phone where the KGS client has buttons off screen or similar issues, just mail me! I really do fix such things, and I tend to fix them quickly! Now the "game list disappears sometimes" bug took me a very long time to fix, because to this day no phone or emulator I could find showed the problem, so I had to just guess at what change fixed it. It looks like I finally got it with the latest release, which is a big relief.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:12 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
As for one of the complaints--the sound can be turned off. Just click the little speaker icon in the lower left. Although, if you're missing the "bottom two buttons", I guess you'd be missing that button as well....

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 pm 
Dies with sente

Yeah, I was just going to point that same thing out. I know what you mean about an app not working on a given screen size. My first Archos had that problem with anDGS, and Michael kindly fixed it for me immediately. My device doesn't even have "official" access to the Market, so I use a hack to access it at all. This is true of lots of third party app devices. I am much happier having access to programs that may or may not work on my device, than being locked out of buying them all together because Google won't let devices that aren't phones access their market.

As for GoGrinder, this app does not work particularly well on my device (Archos 43 IT). Loading problems is not very smooth, and most of them don't work. I have tried about ten different problem sets, and only a couple of them will even run on my device. Also, I really hate that as soon as you solve a problem, it disappears. If it was a hard problem, I want a chance to think about the solution, and read alternate paths out. Magic GoBaduk does this best actually, it lets you review a problem after you have solved it, if you want to. Master of Go at least has a back arrow, so you can go right there again. You can do this in GoGrinder too, but you have to select the main menu which is kind of annoying when other programs let you check it right there.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
How is gobandroid on the archos?

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:19 pm 
Dies with sente

oren wrote:
How is gobandroid on the archos?

It totally rocks. This is the main application I use for recording my games, and with the Sente skin, it is beautiful. The Ai doesn't seem to understand scoring, it can't count, or even finish a game. Once you get to the pass stage, it just stops responding. Occasionally, gobandroid has a glitch while recording or playing back, and you have to re-start it. Most of the time it works perfectly though, and I record all my games with it. I am very grateful for the function that lets you go back to a given move that was mis-recorded, and replace it with the correct one.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
It looks like ligi pushed out a gobandroid-gnugo update a couple days ago. I haven't asked what it does yet, but you might want to see if it fixes the problem.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:28 am 
Tengen

wms wrote:
I had a few nasty surprises when developing the KGS app, where screen sizes that I didn't know actually existed looked bad or were unusable!!!
This probably doesn't apply to CnP's screen, which is probably an ordinary small resolution, but that does seem non-trivial.

I think I did overestimate the problem, though. If there's a comprehensive list of screen sizes, then you'd just have to try those in the simulator. You might end up with a problem where the app isn't very usable because of size, but at least you'd have all the buttons on screen.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: red_z06
The app works good on the new Samsung Infuse with 4.5" diagonal screen. :)

One of my gripe is that most of these programs have preprogrammed response (or no response) for correct moves only.
In some cases, alternate but good solutions come up as failed.
IMO, it should accept all legal moves whether good or bad and make a response and then say you failed.

I find it useful and worth the money to kill time in transit. :)

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Got the iPhone version of this. Even the easiest problems give me a workout, which was kind of a pleasant surprise. When I feel like consistently hard problems, I open this one. Other apps help more when I need occasional confidence boosts. =D

Post #16 Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Quote:
Just found a cool new problem app on Android. Search for Master of Go in the market. It has over a thousand problems for .99 cents! They are sorted into four levels, but I found even the "easy" ones quite useful for my level (1K). Probably not so good for beginners, but SDK up will enjoy this. Also, there was a problem with the level selection when I downloaded the app. I posted about it, and the developer released an update the fixed it the very next day! I love Android, you just don't get this kind of responsiveness from Apple, lol. Here is a link, not sure if it will work: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result

Well,well, well. So now I know who is this not too informed fandroid guy which left info on SL :). Oh man, this app for example is made for iOs and Android, iOS was first and the developer is the same, so do you think that if something is wrong in iOS app then developer just stop listening to the customers? If you could just open your eyes you will see that updates on both platforms are quick and it is only up to developer when he submit an update. iOS for the most of mobile developers has priority over other OSes due to revenue they made on Apple platform. - Peace, no flame.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 pm 
Dies with sente

lobotommy wrote:
Quote:

Well,well, well. So now I know who is this not too informed fandroid guy which left info on SL :). Oh man, this app for example is made for iOs and Android, iOS was first and the developer is the same, so do you think that if something is wrong in iOS app then developer just stop listening to the customers? If you could just open your eyes you will see that updates on both platforms are quick and it is only up to developer when he submit an update. iOS for the most of mobile developers has priority over other OSes due to revenue they made on Apple platform. - Peace, no flame.

You make the mistake of assuming I am opposed to Apple. I am not. I own two Apple computers at the moment, and have never purchased any other kind of computer in my life. I have run many Windows computers, and I can't stand them. My point was that open source development is much easier to do, and that people who have no real financial incentive can and do create apps on Android. They do this faster and with less hassle than is possible with Apple. I think the benefit to end users is great. You also get very sophisticated programmers, like Anders Kierulf, who create amazing stuff on iOS. But my point is there aren't a lot of Anders out there, but there are a ton of folks with serious interest in Go, and a casual interest in creating software for Android. Both are good to have in my opinion ^_^

Post #18 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I guess the app was updated i had no problems playing this on my android phone, also im a beginner and this is very interesting.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:32 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I think I'm pickier than most customers. When I see something that I wouldn't let in my own app, it grates on me.

When I saw that the menu and back buttons don't work properly (a sure sign that it's an iPhone port), that bothered me. Then when I restarted the app and it didn't remember that I wanted sound off, that bothered me more. Then on problem 3 when I made a move that still had me in a winning position, but it said I was wrong without showing me the countermoves...well, that was too much so I refunded. :sad:

On the plus side, it looked very nice, and getting 1000 problems for $0.99 is a good deal.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
wms wrote:
Then on problem 3 when I made a move that still had me in a winning position, but it said I was wrong without showing me the countermoves...well, that was too much so I refunded. :sad:

Yeah, I hate when that happens. Unfortunately, I had that problem way too frequently with gogrinder and goproblems.com problems a few years ago, which instilled something of a deep hatred for electronic tsumego. :S