It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Android DGS client update
Post #21 Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:29 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
mdobbins wrote:
Welcome to the 21st Century and thank you for using anDGS.

First of all, every view has context help.

Didn't notice the help (not availble on most apps I've played with so far, so wasn't expecting it.

Very thorough. Nice.

mdobbins wrote:
1) undo misclick
if you make a move, realize that it was wrong, just select the last stone you placed and it will be removed.

didn't think about re-clicking the move I just played. Usually clicking a stone already on the board results in an illegal move, so that's a bit unexpected -- but easy enough (and documented)

there's still some funny business around that I think. I'll try to note my steps and results later.

mdobbins wrote:
If you notice that an earlier move is wrong, back up to that move, touch where you want the move and select replace one move.

ok, but it still replaces my bad move with a new move of the wrong color

still a bug here I think (I'll try to upgrade soon, to see if you've already fixed it)

mdobbins wrote:
2) fast forward

the fast forward (double arrows) will take you to the last move in the main branch.

even if that means going back to the beginning of the game. Not sure I understand the purpose in that -- but it does, as you say, work as designed.

I see from the help file you have "long" and "short" presses for the single arrows.
This works as designed, but the long press does what I would have expected the double arrow to do.

Its my first smartphone, and I see that other apps also have this long and short press concept in their apps also. I'm still getting used to what to expect when I "press" imaginary buttons. :)

mdobbins wrote:
3) saving game (not a bug, but confusing)

finding the menu button opens up a lot of options and help for this app :)

Still, I think the comment button needs some sort of visual graphic (maybe some wavy lines on one side), to let users know its a comment button.

Now that my expectations have been corrected, I should have a little easier time using this next time.
Thanks

Post #22 Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'm also new to the 21st century, and I must say that anDGS is quickly becoming one of my favorite apps. Go on the go wherever I go. How cool is that?

I did however encounter a glitch last night. I had had the app opened to a game in which it was my turn to make a move, but instead of moving, I did something else, and came back a while later. The board was still open to my game, so I made and submitted the move. The board for another game in which it was my turn to move appeared and I made that move too, as well as the moves in the subsequent games where my move was pending. This morning however, when I opened the app, the boards all appeared with my moves absent. Had I timed out?

Post #23 Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:57 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
daal wrote:
I'm also new to the 21st century, and I must say that anDGS is quickly becoming one of my favorite apps. Go on the go wherever I go. How cool is that?

I did however encounter a glitch last night. I had had the app opened to a game in which it was my turn to make a move, but instead of moving, I did something else, and came back a while later. The board was still open to my game, so I made and submitted the move. The board for another game in which it was my turn to move appeared and I made that move too, as well as the moves in the subsequent games where my move was pending. This morning however, when I opened the app, the boards all appeared with my moves absent. Had I timed out?

I have seen similar behavior, but have not been able to track it down. I suspect that it has something to do with how Android handles apps running on the device. No app is guaranteed to stay in memory if you go do something else. I suspect that some of the anDGS app has been tossed in such a way that you still see the board but the part communicating with the server is gone and the move is dropped. I have not seen it except when I am doing very heavy multitasking between multiple apps and my phone connection is slow/flaky. My phone is 2 years old and has a very small memory for some of the recent memory hog apps. It is on my list of things to improve. If it becomes a regular annoyance, let me know and I will increase the priority.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
xed_over wrote:
mdobbins wrote:
If you notice that an earlier move is wrong, back up to that move, touch where you want the move and select replace one move.

ok, but it still replaces my bad move with a new move of the wrong color

still a bug here I think (I'll try to upgrade soon, to see if you've already fixed it)

upgraded to 1.47 - this bug is fixed

Post #25 Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm 
Lives with ko

anDGS version 1.48 is available on the Android Market, Handster, or my website

Android Market Place:
https://market.android.com/search?q=anDGS&c=apps

Handster:
http://android.handster.com/andgs.html?dm=1&multi=1

My Download page:
http://www.hellogovernance.com/android-apps/andgs/apps

-Change add variation to continue off current move, instead of the father of the move
-Change long press of go forward/backward to step through next/previous moves
-Clean up some DGS messages
-Reduce Android saying app takes too long to come up.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:28 am 
Oza

Would it be possible to make the app moveable to the SD card?

Post #27 Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:12 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 4
Universal go server handle: Trebuchet
Have you any idea if your app will run on a Kindle Fire? I would dearly love to use it on my Kindle.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: WinPooh
IGS: WinPooh
DGS: WinPooh
AnDGS is a great program! Many thanks to author!
The only thing which does not work for me is edit mode. Looks very counter-intuitive, I simply can't playout different variations in one position. After "replace move" it suddenly switches color of the side to move :((( Exactly opposite to PilotGoOne's behaviour on Palm...

Is this a bug? Or I just do something wrong?

Post #29 Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
WinPooh wrote:
Is this a bug? Or I just do something wrong?

I've noticed same behavior and gotten confused.

Post #30 Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
The behavior of anDGS is a little different than PilotGoOne, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

What you are describing was a bug in an earlier version, but it should be fixed in v1.53 (at least I can't duplicate it with that version). If you are using 1.53 and are still seeing the issue, post a step by step description of how you are creating the variation and maybe I can help.

Post #31 Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:00 am 
Lives with ko

Thanks RedBeard, Yes please post version and or upgrade to the latest and retry.

I just looked at the install stats and as of this morning only 16% of anDGS users have upgraded to 1.53, and 52% are at 1.52. But the I only published 1.53 2 days ago ;) 1.53 adds a few new DGS features, so does not affect the board editor.

Post #32 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:13 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: WinPooh
IGS: WinPooh
DGS: WinPooh
Yes, at last I got used to edit games in a new way.
Another question: does AnDGS support Unicode? When I tried to greet my opponent in Russian (from AnDGS) he received some non-readable symbols (in browser).

Post #33 Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 702
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
What does it mean if I get an error "#Warning: excissive_usage; quick_status.returning_cached_data..."
?

How can I fix this?

Post #34 Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 am 
Oza

I suspect that what is happening is that when you start the client, anDGS automatically checks for new moves in your games. If you then shortly thereafter click "status," the DGS server will respond with that warning because not enough time has passed between queries sent to the server from your client.

I would prefer if I could log onto the server with anDGS without automatically checking for new moves, so that I could use the status button if I so chose.

Post #35 Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Lives with ko

emeraldemon wrote:
What does it mean if I get an error "#Warning: excissive_usage; quick_status.returning_cached_data..."
?

How can I fix this?

You can't. It is a feature of the server. Quotas on clients was implemented last summer. I was so upset with the feature last summer that I took anDGS off the market place for a while. With some tuning on the server it became tolerable. I still think it was an over reaction to an RSS problem sucking up all the server resources. Clients were never a problem.

Post #36 Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:55 pm 
Lives with ko

daal wrote:
I would prefer if I could log onto the server with anDGS without automatically checking for new moves, so that I could use the status button if I so chose.

anDGS has about 25 preference settings, Auto Client is the one you want to turn off if you want full control.

This post by mdobbins was liked by: daal