It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: MoyoGo available again
Post #41 Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
It is interesting how, in the same thread where you claim that your world view is an extremely rational one, due to your Asperger, and you have trouble understanding people who are overly emotional, you also complain about suffering from Lyme rage, an affliction that causes extreme anger at the slightest perceived insult. Since when is anger not an emotion?

Post #42 Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 68
I disagree that all emotions are always irrational. Please, I would like this threat to stop. If you all could simply refrain from talking to me, I would like to stop monitoring this board and waiting for the censor to approve of my posts. It is demeaning.

Post #43 Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
HermanHiddema wrote:
It is interesting how, in the same thread where you claim that your world view is an extremely rational one, due to your Asperger, and you have trouble understanding people who are overly emotional, you also complain about suffering from Lyme rage, an affliction that causes extreme anger at the slightest perceived insult. Since when is anger not an emotion?

Autists (in the clinical sense - originally autism names a philosophical position akin to solipsism, I believe) only have trouble understanding other people's emotions. They're not incapable of feeling them. If you've ever spent time around someone with autism, you'll know how quick they are to fly into a rage, and how completely indifferent they are to other people.

As for how this applies to Asperger's syndrome I couldn't say. But there's no real tension between having no understanding of emotions (your own, or others'), and being subject to attacks of emotion.

This post by jts was liked by: Phelan

Post #44 Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
[quote="FrankdeGroot"] Example: Let's assume I say I'm a "Holocaust denier". Then I'm not making any friends. People will even go out of their way to boycot good Go software. I think that's so strange that I sometimes think this world is not for me (meaning, suicide is the only solution).

If somebody is my enemy then I expect this person will never help me and may even go out of his or her way to hurt me.

You find that behavior strange? By that I do not mean that you have an automatic feel for that (Aspergers can affect that) but I do mean that you have a rational based expectation of this behavior "because all the people I encounter always seem to act that way" (Aspergers doesn't affect logic, memory of events, etc. ). You might lack appreciation of why people act that way but that is different matter from knowledge that they do.

To interact with "neurotypicals" you don't need to understand them, just be able to predict them. It doesn't matter that to you the "laws" governing the behavior of "nuerotypicals" are weird, just whether you know what those "laws" are. It's failure to predict "normal" behavior that has caused you problems.

Post #45 Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
What we have here is a guy that was completely naive. He came into the Go-Business and thought everything would applaude him. Of course not, of course his market competitors just waited to kick his butt...and he gave them plenty of opportunities. I got the notion that his biggest problem was to "let things go". He got too involved into disputes and couldn't find a way to stop those spirales we all might know if people argue together.

But he learned the right lessons. Usually people are not interested in truth itself, but in their truth. That's applicable to Frank and all his "rational" fellows as well, by the way! It's a hypocrite and faking world where logic does not lead to the promised land and how anyway since logic means just: conclude a set from a set that includes that formentioned set (=no new or/and intresting info).

Post #46 Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
It's interesting how far a little reading about Aspergers Syndrome can go to understanding how discussions about Moyo Go Studio have often evolved into a flamewar. I certainly encourage any forum moderators to read up a bit on the subject if they haven't already done so.

People with AS can be quite intelligent and tend to have good verbal skills. They tend to have difficulty understanding what others are thinking which impairs their ability to predict people's emotional reactions. Also they tend to focus on small details rather than the bigger picture.

On one website, I read that people with AS can perceive statements by "normal" people as riddles. I imagine that this effect is exacerbated by written communication on the internet, where people sometimes like to play with words and express their sentiments in a round-about way.

It appears to me that the difficulties we encounter when communicating with Frank are small, compared with the difficulties he encounters communicating with us.

Regarding the deterioration of the relationship between Frank and the go community, it seems quite plausible, when looking at the big picture, that a lack of awareness of the effects of AS may well have contributed to the escalation of the conflict.

As to Moyo Go Studio, I'd like to echo Redbeard's recommendation, that for anyone deciding to use the software, to also purchase GoGoD. That way, you don't have to take sides, and there's more benefit for everyone.

I've exchanged a few pms with Frank, and although I still disagree with some of the conclusions he has drawn, I no longer see him as someone I couldn't invite to my home - though I imagine he wouldn't be the easiest of guests.

This post by daal was liked by 8 people: Bantari, Bonobo, Ellyster, Marcus, Phelan, Rémi, topazg, xed_over

Post #47 Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 10
KGS: PaperTiger
Sorry to revisit this, but there's something important missing from Frank's portrayal.

[Admin]
And they will stay missing. The TOS forbids criticizing fellow members.
-JB
[/admin]

Post #48 Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
[admin]

I'm locking this thread. The relevant news is in the first post, and there have been no updates. This thread seems to be a magnet for personal attacks on fellow members.
-JB

[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Phelan

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3