All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nook Touch as go study aid
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 23
KGS: DrBobC
Tygem: 35kyu
Some time back someone here made a post about using an e-ink touch screen device as a Go tool. Since that time iPads and the like have taken over the world and the e-ink tablet has fallen a little by the wayside and is largely the instrument of that dying breed of people who want to read.

I have a need for an e-ink device - I need to read a bit and have access to documents for meetings. I am also loathed to spend £200 on a device which has a very low drop survivabilty factor. Furthermore e-ink devices can lasts for months without charging.

The Nook touch has been reduced to £29 in the UK. (reduced from £79). The key here is that although it is pretty restrictive in its own right it can be rooted and then connected to the Android market. I warn you now that rooting these devices kills the warranty but at £29 I though the risk was worth it.

So I bought one - went to the internet and after 2 hours I had a fully rooted Nook :). The first app I installed was "Gobandroid" (free). This app allows you to input problems, review games and play games. So is it any good.

First the bad:
As an e-ink device the screen refresh is very annoying. Although problems can be done on it they process grates and is actually unpleasant. A smart phone is better. Also you have to be careful about the format of the sgf or else you can get a little locked up. It is IMO not a good device for problems

The good:
Game reviewing and reading game reviews from the GTL are surprisingly good. Its just like reading a book but with the ability to add your own comments and variations. This is the nook at its best. Not least because it can be held and controlled with one hand and because you don't change the view too often the annoying refresh is not an issue. A great way of guessing the next move too!

Playing!. This is odd. Not for one moment would I recommend playing a full 19x19 game - you will go mad trying to place the stones BUT - it is totally wonderful for quick 9x9 or 13x13 games. The device can be handed/thrown at your opponent, if you're in a car for example Gobanandroid does enough with counting, error correction and post match analysis to make for a good experience.

So in conclusion. If you're into problems then a smartphone is preferred. For a quiet reflection over a game the Nook is very good. It also has the advantage that a go game looks like a screen saver so leaving a game on during a "meeting" should distract you too much or give the game away..

Pictures to follow..

Last edited by BobC on Sun May 19, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nook Touch as go study aid
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 am 
Lives with ko

Attachment:
File comment: rooted
nook0.jpg
nook0.jpg [ 84.03 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: rooted
nook0.jpg
nook0.jpg [ 84.03 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]

Attachments:
nook1.jpg
nook1.jpg [ 11.17 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Very nice! Yes, something like this would be a very good portable study tool.

Please try anDGS, also available on Google Play. It has a fully functional sgf reviewer/editor (as well as the DGS player interface which should be usable over the WiFi connection.) The input/display scheme is different from Gobandroid and should minimize the display flash.

You should be able to find and use all the sgf file you used so far or download them with a browser when connected to WiFi.

There are a few preferences that you may want to consider changing:
1) move control = one touch may be good on a screen that size.
2) Layout = landscape may be better for this device.
3) board background = plain may be better for a black/white screen if you don't like the default wood pattern.

Let me know if there are any issues or improvements and I will see what I can do to help or improve the app. (For faster support email me directly.)

BTW, do you have any links that you could share on how you root and installed android on the simple touch nook?

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:08 am 
Lives with ko

Hi Micheal; The current links:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... 582&page=4

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2040351

Notes. There are older links still around. Check version numbers/dates.

You do need to mess around in the diretories a bit (uploading sgfs).. ok with a good app "ES file explorer" must be installed for this.

Your UK nook is invariably v1.20. Dont upgrade to 1.21 because 1.21 USA = 1.20 UK... yes I did lose 2 hours with that one!

After a bit you will not be able to install apps. To reignite this - use the inbuilt browser to go to google.play.com. install your app from there - this seems to fire up the "Market" on your Nook again.

WARNING (not aimed at you Mike). You do need to be a little confident doing this sort of thing. The rooting process is OK but like most of these processes you often have to deal with the frustration of it not working. And Barnes and Noble will NOT help you out if you go down this path.........

Installed anDGs- playing now

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Just to warn you, e-ink devices last months on one charge so long as you don't use them. As soon as you use them they run out of battery "pretty quickly" though you're still talking a multiple of what a smartphone/tablet device lasts. I used to get maybe 5-6 days of reading out of my 3rd gen Kindle (several hours of reading a day). If I was doing go stuff on it I'd expect a faster refresh rate than reading fiction so I'd expect the battery to last a fair bit less than that. In contrast I have to recharge my iPad every 3 days or so, it's just used for reading, doing tsumego, recording games and watching films so there's no heavy usage.

Nice project though! I wonder if they're selling them to Ireland... :)

Post #6 Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Boidhre wrote:
Just to warn you, e-ink devices last months on one charge so long as you don't use them. As soon as you use them they run out of battery "pretty quickly" though you're still talking a multiple of what a smartphone/tablet device lasts. I used to get maybe 5-6 days of reading out of my 3rd gen Kindle (several hours of reading a day). If I was doing go stuff on it I'd expect a faster refresh rate than reading fiction so I'd expect the battery to last a fair bit less than that. In contrast I have to recharge my iPad every 3 days or so, it's just used for reading, doing tsumego, recording games and watching films so there's no heavy usage.

Nice project though! I wonder if they're selling them to Ireland... :)

I would expect an active interface like Gobandroid would use up the battery quickly as it redraws the screen multiple time a second while moving your finger around to place a stone.

anDGS has a more static placement system like clicking a button, so it should be closer to reading a book. Efficiency of all aspects of the app is always a concern of mine.

BobC, have you tried anDGS on the nook. I am curious if your experience matches my expectations.