It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thick Table Boards?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 16
I have seen pictures of go parlours in Japan where all the table boards seem to be 4 - 5 inches thick or more. I have not seen such thick table boards for sale here in the US. Does anyone know if the thick boards used in Japanese go parlours are just floor boards with the legs removed? Is this considered preferable to using 1 - 2 inch table boards?

Post subject: Re: Thick Table Boards?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
If you play with a very thick board on a table, you need a table that is lower than normal in order for the board height to remain reasonable for the players. Looking at kuroki goishi, for example, most table boards are in the neighborhood of 6cm, with a few around 7-9 cm and one around 10. 10 cm is still a bit shy of 4". If you feel the need, you can certainly order the thickest one, which looks to be roughly $1,000 plus shipping from Japan and customs duties, but I have never heard anyone complain that their board is "only" 2.5 inches thick.

As has been discussed before, a thicker board can be more stable in terms of warping; but, there is a downside in terms of the space required to store it and the table height vis-a-vis the players. I think it's safe to say that you can think of an extremely thick board like this as a prestige or luxury item over a slightly thinner kaya table board.

I'm not sure why someone would go to the trouble of equipping an entire club with floor boards, only to remove the legs, however.

This post by skydyr was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Manchu wrote:
I have seen pictures of go parlours in Japan where all the table boards seem to be 4 - 5 inches thick or more. I have not seen such thick table boards for sale here in the US. Does anyone know if the thick boards used in Japanese go parlours are just floor boards with the legs removed? Is this considered preferable to using 1 - 2 inch table boards?

The standard for go parlors in Japan is around 2.5" which are common for purchase.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Manchu wrote:
I have seen pictures of go parlours in Japan where all the table boards seem to be 4 - 5 inches thick or more.

any examples?

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 16
xed_over wrote:
Manchu wrote:
I have seen pictures of go parlours in Japan where all the table boards seem to be 4 - 5 inches thick or more.

any examples?
Here you are:

And here is a larger version.

And here is another, apparently in Kyoto:

This post by Manchu was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
The bottom one you can see is two boards stacked on top of each other.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
huh. thanks for the photos. I would not have guessed.

and at the same time, notice that the tables are lower tables... so I wonder, which came first, the boards or the tables? :)

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
skydyr wrote:
I'm not sure why someone would go to the trouble of equipping an entire club with floor boards, only to remove the legs, however.
I'm not sure either, but some people just prefer a thicker board, without legs.

We haven't really publicized this, but any of the floor boards in our store can be ordered without legs and occasionally someone orders one like that (by emailing). In that case, the legs aren't removed, they're just not attached in the first place so there are no holes left in the board. I imagine that those boards in Machu's photo are the same.

You might think of these as thick table boards, but from another perspective they're just standard floor boards, which never had the legs attached.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

This post by gogameguru was liked by: Bonobo