It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boards with custom graphics?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
I don't play it, but I've always admired fancy Crokinole boards. You can see some stunning examples in this gallery:

http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardga ... ter=&B1=Go

So that lead me to wonder if anyone has customized Go boards? I can't recall ever seeing one. It occurred to me that a background graphic might visually distract from focusing on the game. After all, Go is slightly more mentally demanding than Crokinole!

Regardless, just for fun, I threw this together in Powerpoint in about 30 seconds. The choice of motif is up to the creator. Thoughts?

Attachments:
board.png
board.png [ 386.3 KiB | Viewed 5299 times ]

Post subject: Re: Boards with custom graphics?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:43 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I think I will pass on this one.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bantari

Post #3 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
This kind of decoration isn't particularly sought-after.

Most of admiration goes out to wooden boards, with the kaya wood ones being most highly priced.

There's a lot that COULD be done, but the simple truth is that most players don't want it. Even highly decorative tables made in the past for high-ranking nobility tend to leave the playing area blank except for the grid.

I think it's because go is such a visual game, any decoration of the playing field would serve as an annoying distraction.

Interestingly, there's a niche market for stones made of materials like amethyst, onyx, jade or lapis lazuli. They're pretty uncommon, though, and I've never actually played with anything other than plastic (ew), glass, or the traditional slate and shell.

This post by tentano was liked by: oca

Post #4 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:44 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Might be slightly off topic, so hidden:

When printing out 9x9 boards on paper, I always thought that if they're going to be used to introduce young children to baduk, that a background which doesn't argue with the lines and stones, is a plus. Something as simple as allowing toddlers to choose what colour board they want to use or (better!) what colour or design of stone they want to use, may increase the attention span ever so slightly.

It is an untapped resource, because many older players may consider it just a little "cringeworthy" (I personally don't at all-- on the contrary, I think it's a nice idea for informal situations, but I'm not explaining the full reasoning behind it right now), while a toddlers view of things may not be considered concerning asthetics, even when teaching toddlers! (I can actually say this for sure: asthetics/appearance can sometimes play a big part in how much something piques your interest when your six years old!)

Outside of teaching toddlers and children (or teens), I guess it very much depends.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:18 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Annoying. :tmbdown:

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bantari

Post #6 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I'm afraid your talking with mostly extreme traditionalist. They will never like it.

I like it. I think its ok.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:23 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
xed_over wrote:
I'm afraid your talking with mostly extreme traditionalist. They will never like it.

I like it. I think its ok.

Its not about being a traditionalist. Images like that, right smack on the surface of the board, just detract from the actual position, and take away from the beauty of the game itself.

However, nice graphics next to the board is another thing. Either as wooden carving for real boards or as background for on-line gaming.

Example: Panda and the late Kaya put some effort into beautifying the screen graphics for board display to create a beautiful, yet pleasantly subdued, feel. I like that.

But when you start putting annoying images on the board itself, its so... arcade.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 41
Elom wrote:
When printing out 9x9 boards on paper, I always thought that if they're going to be used to introduce young children to baduk, that a background which doesn't argue with the lines and stones, is a plus. Something as simple as allowing toddlers to choose what colour board they want to use or (better!) what colour or design of stone they want to use, may increase the attention span ever so slightly.

Not a bad idea if it helps bring children to the game. The obvious counterpoint would be that children all over the world already get into the game as is. But that's not to say there isn't room for some whimsical improvements. I'm reminded of the Go-like game, Snorkels, which attempts to teach the basics of Go while using an underwater theme. Here's a close-up of the pieces.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I've seen (online) some 9x9 boards with the playing surface decorated with Hikaru no Go characters. I can't find an example now though of course.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
CnP wrote:
I've seen (online) some 9x9 boards with the playing surface decorated with Hikaru no Go characters. I can't find an example now though of course.

A couple of them here..

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%91%E3%83 ... E%E7%A2%81

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%91%E3%83 ... E%E7%A2%81