It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for a slotted Go board
Post #41 Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:18 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
We also need to understand that we are discussing "as things are given the actual products available". The actual strength of magnets used in magnetic boards, the type of hinges used in hinged boards, etc. We are not speaking about the theoretical (hinged boards just as easy to move as slotted if those were locking hinges --- simple design there were enough go boards to just if making them -- but would have to turn the board over to unlock before folding it).

Post #42 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:41 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 407
Several years ago I was in the same boat as the OP with an identical budget. $200 buys a lot. You might consider tracking down a (semi) local woodworker and having a custom board made. It's more footwork, but the result is worth it.

This post by ScatCat was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, Galation, jccosta, sybob

Post #43 Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
KGS: Hylomorph
schwartzseer wrote:
I just happened to have seen a used Japanese slotted goban with glass stones on the US eBay for $60 (+ ~$15 s/h): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-GO-Game-Set-Wood-Board-with-Stones-Lacquered-Bowls-/181916914673?hash=item2a5b17d3f1:g:-GEAAOSwAYtWJQ56. Although the seller does not know what kind of wood it is, to my under-educated eye it appears to be Katsura (due to the appearance of transparent wash typical of lower-quality Katsura boards). It is a good thickness (30mm, or about 1-3/8 inches) and the seller reports it is in fairly good shape. The stones appear to be typical glass biconvex, ~8mm in height, and despite what the seller said in the listing title the bowls appear to be plastic.

I have an identical board. It is indeed katsura. They used to sell them at Samarkand when it still operated as an online retail outfit. It is a nice board. Whoever won the auction will be quite pleased with it. Each of the two sections is made from two joined pieces of wood. The line is almost invisible.

Unfortunately, my board spent years in storage under less than optimal conditions. It is still a very nice board, but one of the panels on one of the sections has discolored at a different rate than the others. I should live to replace it, but I'm in the same situation as OP. It is really difficult to find that quality in slotted boards these days.