It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GeoBan - Laser cut Go boards with maps
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:41 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hey friends!

Long time fan of the game, first time poster. I've been working on this project for a bit, and I'm starting to let it see the light.

http://geoban.intentive.info/#11.08/29.7493/-95.3637

This is an interface to design a custom made goban, with the ability to overlay any map you want (top right for search, or pan and zoom)

Looking for feedback, and if you are interested in getting one, let me know. I have a discount code for helping test the process.

Post subject: Re: GeoBan - Laser cut Go boards with maps
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:46 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Maybe it is my browser but all I see at that link is what looks like a plastic sheet of artificial grain. Regardless, what is the point of putting a map on the go board? It would seem that it would be very distracting.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bantari

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Hi, nice try doing something innovative with Go board design. I can see the point to overlaying a map - since there's territory and territory but I would find it too distracting to actually use, maybe as a novelty item.

minor point - you've spelled Mahogany wrong.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Reason most people look for boards with nice straight lines and even color is to avoid distractions. For myself, I would find a map on the board as an irritation which might affect my game play and my ability to read ahead.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:55 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I have given this question some thought, whether it is distracting or whether it could enhance the game to have this geographical context.
I know this forum is full of really passionate people so I thought this would be a great place to get this kind of feedback.
If there's any cities you like to see I'll be happy to make some demos

Check out Rio de Janeiro:
http://m.imgur.com/account/inspired12/images/1JXOSkm

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:20 pm 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 19
inspired12 wrote:
Hey friends!

Long time fan of the game, first time poster. I've been working on this project for a bit, and I'm starting to let it see the light.

http://geoban.intentive.info/#11.08/29.7493/-95.3637

This is an interface to design a custom made goban, with the ability to overlay any map you want (top right for search, or pan and zoom)

Looking for feedback, and if you are interested in getting one, let me know. I have a discount code for helping test the process.

I like the novelty of the idea, but this would be too distracting. However, if the map can be etched faintly, this might work. For example, the map could be made barely visible (or preferably invisible) when looking at the playing surface normally but reveals itself fully when the surface is examined at an oblique angle and/or under certain lighting conditions.

I'd go for a board that has these properties.

Post subject:
Post #7 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:27 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi inspired12,
How about maps ( or any other patterns or messages ) that reveal themselves only under UV light ? :)

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:13 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 52
I actually think it looks great without the go board lines! It could be a nice art piece for my wall if I pick the right city.

Post subject: Re:
Post #9 Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
EdLee wrote:
Hi inspired12,
How about maps ( or any other patterns or messages ) that reveal themselves only under UV light ? :)

I don't have a clue what that is all about. Care to explain?

Post subject:
Post #10 Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi DrStraw, not really.
Both the clip and the text seem very self-explanatory ( not to mention already referenced in post 6).
Which part is unclear ?

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #11 Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
DrStraw,

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:57 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Bonobo wrote:

Hmm... So each stone has a number that you can only see with special equimpent. How is this going to improve stone quality?
And also, say I get a pack of stones with a number, as in the image, XR5803SW - or something - what does this tell me?

Are black stones numbered as well, or only white?
Are all the stones in a set numbered the same?
Can the customer pick the number?

I find the possibilities intriguing in general, but I don't get the value of the implementation as presented.

Back to the original point, though.
What would be the sense of having a map (or anything else) etched on a board if you can only see it under black light? Not trying to be picky here, but I honestly don't get any of that.

What is the purpose?

Post #13 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 pm 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 19
Bantari wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

Hmm... So each stone has a number that you can only see with special equimpent. How is this going to improve stone quality?
And also, say I get a pack of stones with a number, as in the image, XR5803SW - or something - what does this tell me?

Are black stones numbered as well, or only white?
Are all the stones in a set numbered the same?
Can the customer pick the number?

I find the possibilities intriguing in general, but I don't get the value of the implementation as presented.

Back to the original point, though.
What would be the sense of having a map (or anything else) etched on a board if you can only see it under black light? Not trying to be picky here, but I honestly don't get any of that.

What is the purpose?

I wouldn't call Ultraviolet flashlights special equipment. You can get one on Amazon for 15 USD or less.

I suspect the serial numbers are only for clamshell stones, as these are more difficult to make and require better QC. KGT's reasoning for etching serial numbers is probably for guarding against counterfeits, better tracking production batches to ensure QC standards, etc. And, it's a good marketing gimmick.

As for etching maps on boards, I do like the novelty factor, and novelty products do sell when done right.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
by78 wrote:
I wouldn't call Ultraviolet flashlights special equipment. You can get one on Amazon for 15 USD or less.

I would (and did) call it a specialty item. I don't have one, and would have to get one specifically for that purpose. Asked some of my friends around and none of them seems to have one neither. The fact that it is available on amazon does not make it "not special".

You'd be surprised what kind of stuff you can get on amazon these days. ;)

by78 wrote:
I suspect the serial numbers are only for clamshell stones, as these are more difficult to make and require better QC. KGT's reasoning for etching serial numbers is probably for guarding against counterfeits, better tracking production batches to ensure QC standards, etc. And, it's a good marketing gimmick.

This makes sense.

I was also thinking of possibly etching something unique on "my" stones, so when somebody lifts a few, I can easily prove they are mine.

Even better - how about installing a mechanism in each stone that whistles back to you when you whistle or clap. Like they have on the key-finders. This way, if a stone rolls under the sofa, it will be easy to find.

And if you make each stone whistle a different tone, you can play melodies! Board positions would be symphonies!
How is that for "marketing gimmick"? ;)

by78 wrote:
As for etching maps on boards, I do like the novelty factor, and novelty products do sell when done right.

Its true, some novelty items sell well.
Well, I hope for the OP that this one will sell well as well. All best!