It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for a child safe cover for a table goban
Post #1 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
i don't mind if its transparent or not, but not having hard pointed corners is pretty important.

Needs to cover a table goban (again not too bothered about it being a tight fit.
Its mainly to avoid the inevitable pen marks / vomit / food.

Would be nice if had enough clearance to keep a game in play on it - or even transparent to see the game through the cover.

And i like in uk :D

spent months looking haven't found a thing.
thanks

Post subject: Re: looking for a child safe cover for a table goban
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
How about doing one yourself? Either from a suitable fabric alone, or with a very light wooden frame, on top of which the fabric?

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
A suitably sized cardboard box should do the trick. And it would be an economical solution.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
problem with fabric is not fluid proof and i don't really have time or equipment to properly make one.

THe goban is a full size antique kaya goban - the aesthetic is fairly important.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:33 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 181
MrTortoise wrote:
i don't mind if its transparent or not, but not having hard pointed corners is pretty important.
Needs to cover a table goban (again not too bothered about it being a tight fit.
Its mainly to avoid the inevitable pen marks / vomit / food.
Would be nice if had enough clearance to keep a game in play on it - or even transparent to see the game through the cover.
and i like in uk :D
spent months looking haven't found a thing.
thanks

Unlikely that you would find something ready made for the purpose in the sense that you wouldn't have to add anything to it. And I don't know what is or is not readily available in the UK so keep that in mind when I describe what I might use here to satisfy all of your requirements while requiring only minimal modification.

A large "box display case" with the bottom (back) removed. These are intended to hold "arrangements" art and are usually smaller than what you would need (length and width) but the depth is usually a few inches so should be enough. You might have to take it apart to remove the back (what would be the bottom when places over the goban) and you almost certainly would have to deal with the corners. Depending on the thickness of the walls, might be able to simply round off the corners but unlikely that would give you a large enough radius to make you feel "child safe" --- BTW, I am assuming a first child since as a great grandparent we eventually learn that they aren't THAT fragile and are going to sometimes get banged up a bit. However to allay those fears, obtain four small wood balls (probably available for the same "craft supplies" place as the display box) of a wood that will go well, either match or contrast with the wood of the case, and drill holes in them a short way in that will let you glue them over the corners. You might find large round beads that would work for this though the hole going all the way through affects the aesthetics. Something that would fit into that hole could be found.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:21 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
It is has to be waterproof then an hour of work should suffice to make one out of plexiglass. Get the pieces cut to size as it is easy to break it if you try to cut it yourself. For the edges you can use wood strips if you have the tools to route out a groove for the plexiglass, or you can use picture framing strips. You can plane and sand the corners so that they are not sharp.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:51 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
An acrylic dome?

E.g. http://www.talbotdesigns.co.uk/acrylic-domes/

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
If your board is more-or-less standard Japanese dimensions you could buy a cover made from Paulownia wood from Kuroki GoIshi Ten: http://www.kurokigoishi.co.jp/english/o ... index.html

The wood is very soft, almost like Balsa wood, and the corners are rounded. These covers or boxes are the usual thing in Japan for table boards, even expensive kaya boards. On this same page are covers for floor boards and boxes for go bowls.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Janice Kim's webshop used to sell them but haven't for years. http://www.acrylicdisplaycases.co.uk/home.php (i.e. clear plastic display cover) could make one (or someone similar), or like DrStraw said DIY it.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:53 pm 
Oza

CnP wrote:
Janice Kim's webshop used to sell them but haven't for years. http://www.acrylicdisplaycases.co.uk/home.php (i.e. clear plastic display cover) could make one (or someone similar), or like DrStraw said DIY it.

Quoted price from that site is about £100.