It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guide to Cleaning Go Stones (Slate and Shell)
Post #1 Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:00 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
I've finally complied a guide on how to clean Go stones (With a major emphasis on slate and shell).

I haven't put the article through to much editing, so I apologize for the drab language and poor grammar. :study:

Here's the link for those interested...

https://erythen.wordpress.com/2015/09/2 ... go-stones/

This post by Erythen was liked by 4 people: Bantari, Bonobo, Galation, sybob

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:59 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Erythen,

Thanks for the article.

I have one question.
This is merely my educated guess,
but I suspect there are generally three groups of people
when it comes to oiling the slate stones: those who prefer them oiled, those who don't, and those who don't notice or don't care.

I dislike the feeling of oiled slate stones. I prefer them completely clean and void of any chemicals (including any kind of oil).

So my question is: since you mention the most important part before using a nice set of slate and shell stones is to wash your hands to remove and dirt or oil from your hands (which I agree 100%),
then it seems to me quite counter-productive and counter-intuitive to intentionally put mineral oil on the slate stones,
because during play, the net result is you are constantly transferring the mineral oil, however thin its layer, onto the shell stones.

And not only to the shell stones, but actually to all the other surfaces: the Go board, the bowls, even any books you touch after you pick up any oiled slate stone. Food, even. In effect, you're smearing and spreading mineral oil everywhere! :)

This part confuses me a little. Thanks.

This post by EdLee was liked by: ez4u

Post subject: Re: Guide to Cleaning Go Stones (Slate and Shell)
Post #3 Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Avoid cleaning slate stones in a metal container because the black slate is slightly abrasive and metal can be rubbed onto the stones. This is especially likely to happen with aluminum. I experienced this when I used an aluminum colander to rinse off the stones after washing. The black stones had metalic stripes on them :( Fortunately this could be removed by serious scrubbing the affected stones with a plastic scrubbing pad but took a lot of work. Because of the abrasiveness of the black stones don't allow the black slate stones and white clam shell stones to rub together, as would happen if both colors were washed together in a mesh bag. Aside from chipping the white stones, the black slate rubbing on the soft clam stones could damage the surface appearance or feel of the clam stones.

This post by gowan was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:42 am 
Lives with ko

Hello Edlee :)

Quote:
This is merely my educated guess,
but I suspect there are generally three groups of people
when it comes to oiling the slate stones: those who prefer them oiled, those who don't, and those who don't notice or don't care.

Those are the only three possibilities...as far as I can fathom :)

Quote:
So my question is: since you mention the most important part before using a nice set of slate and shell stones is to wash your hands to remove and dirt or oil from your hands (which I agree 100%),
then it seems to me quite counter-productive and counter-intuitive to intentionally put mineral oil on the slate stones,
because during play, the net result is you are constantly transferring the mineral oil, however thin its layer, onto the shell stones.

And not only to the shell stones, but actually to all the other surfaces: the Go board, the bowls, even any books you touch after you pick up any oiled slate stone. Food, even. In effect, you're smearing and spreading mineral oil everywhere! :)

This part confuses me a little. Thanks.

New slate stones actually come with mineral oil already on them. It's recommended you wipe them down a couple of times before play.

My take on it is that the oiling after cleaning doesn't serve a purpose other than to give the slate a newer look. In truth, the more you play with the slate, the more the moisture from your hands will do that job for you so it's a matter of aesthetics.

As for it being counter-intuitive, you kinda got me there :). I wish I could give you a good, technical answer, but I can't. I suggested wiping them down at least three times just to be sure you removed the excess. Properly cleaned, I've never seen the oil smear the board or other stones.

I haven't looked at the Go Players Almanac for almost three years, and it has some useful information on the whys. I'm not home at the moment, but I'll check this evening and see if it provides any incites.

If you wanted to oil your slate stones but wanted to avoid using mineral oil, there are a few good choices. 100% pure camellia oil would be a great alternative. It's used on knives and other metal equipment in Japan. Sadly the health foods craze in the west has latched onto it and it's difficult to get some that isn't intended as a hair or skin product.

I'll probably get some flak for this but what I use (to great effect) is pledge orange oil (for those not in the U.S. it's used to revitalize wooden furniture). It makes the stones look great, whatever's left over after you've wiped it dries, and the orange smell will fade after a few days. I didn't include this in the article simply because it's not part of the norm.

Whatever the case, I recommend avoiding most vegetable based oils (especially the heavy stuff like linseed).

That's probably more of an answer than you were looking for Edlee, sorry for going off on a number of tangents ;-)

Quote:
Avoid cleaning slate stones in a metal container because the black slate is slightly abrasive and metal can be rubbed onto the stones. This is especially likely to happen with aluminum. I experienced this when I used an aluminum colander to rinse off the stones after washing. The black stones had metalic stripes on them :( Fortunately this could be removed by serious scrubbing the affected stones with a plastic scrubbing pad but took a lot of work.

TRUTH!!! I need to include this in the article.

I did something similar with one of the first used sets. It left terrible streaks that took forever to remove. I didn't want to sell the set afterward so I kept it for travel and Go Clubs.

This post by Erythen was liked by: Bonobo

Post #5 Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:00 am 
Lives with ko

Hello Edlee,
I did a little research but wasn't able to come up with much to answer your question about oiling slate stones. :study: Mr. Kuroki is cleaning a number of special hyuga sets for me at the moment. When he sends me the invoice (Probably in the next week or two), I'll ask him about it.

Post subject:
Post #6 Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:51 am 
Honinbo

Hi Erythen,

Thanks. Mostly it's just my idle curiosity. :)
I guess I'll never understand why some prefer that oily feeling. :)

Post #7 Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
I would like to suppose that mineral oils consists of components only that do not react with the chalk (calcium carbonate) of the shell stones.

As far as I know, their chemical structure it quite different from that of vegetable oils.

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)

Post #8 Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
Is it true that wooden bowls can sometimes stain clamshell stones is the stones are not used often enough?

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:39 am 
Honinbo

penfold wrote:
Is it true that wooden bowls can sometimes stain clamshell stones if the stones are not used often enough?
Hi penfold,

Others have already asked your exact question previously (on this forum and possibly elsewhere.)

My understanding is if you buy good quality bowls (say, from Mr. Kuroki),
the answer is no.

More info:
I have three sets of wooden bowls:
  • Karin bowls from Mr. Kuroki -- very good quality.
  • The other two sets -- either Chinese or Korean origin --
    much lower quality than Mr. Kuroki's bowls.
Even with the lower quality bowls, I don't think the "staining" will happen.
( However, I use the stones and all the six bowls very regularly. )

The question is similar to asking if you buy some wooden furniture, is it possible the finish of the wood will stain your clothes.
The answer is: if the furniture is of very poor quality with a very low quality finish, then yes.
But if the furniture is of good quality, it's highly unlikely it will stain or bleed.

Suggestions:
  • If feasible, get the best quality within your budget.
  • Use your Go equipment as often as you can afford to. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo