Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
harpreet wrote:
tj86430 wrote:
tchan001 wrote:
I don't own this set but I have pics :)
http://tchan001.wordpress.com/2010/08/1 ... go-stones/

Unfortunately I'm not one of the "select few" who can access that picture. (What is the point of having a private blog and then posting links to it?)

If you never told anyone about it how would people know you have a private blog?

While this is very much OT, I'll still comment: If I had a private blog, I would tell those whom I wanted to invite, and not others. If I wanted to invite everyone who shows interest, it would be public.

There are other, IMNSHO much better ways of linking pictures to a public forum than using a link to a private blog. Of course, if the poster's intention is to tell to others "look, I have something private, but only those I like can see it", then sure, it works. I believe this is not the case here, since such behavior reminds me of a bunch of five-year-olds in the playground.

Post subject: Re: Size of stone
Post #42 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
This thread is not about my blog. It's about the size of stones. I just happen to have a post on my blog which is very relevant to a post by a poster who DOES have access to my blog.
If you don't have access, it wasn't meant for you. So I have editted my post to just show the facts which are relevant. Please do not argue about my blog anymore.
Bonobo wrote:
Heh. Just dreaming of such … AND. I. WANNA. HAVE. THEM. 21.5mm! x! 21.5mm! For some added fun :razz:

So please keep the posts relevant to the thread as per TOS.

3. Meaningless Posts
Keep posts relevant to the topic and make sure to use the edit button when appropriate. Don't post for the sake of post counts. Spam is not allowed. Also, personal conversations between members should be done via Private Messaging, not in a thread.

Post #43 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
tchan001 wrote:
[..]

Bonobo wrote:
Heh. Just dreaming of such … AND. I. WANNA. HAVE. THEM. 21.5mm! x! 21.5mm! For some added fun :razz:

So please keep the posts relevant to the thread as per TOS.

3. Meaningless Posts
Keep posts relevant to the topic and make sure to use the edit button when appropriate. Don't post for the sake of post counts. Spam is not allowed. Also, personal conversations between members should be done via Private Messaging, not in a thread.
Uhm :shock: I am very interested in this topic and have also contributed a little bit.

My quoted post was just a little light-hearted kidding, I’m certainly aware that spherical stones would roll off the board.

So, do you think this was a “meaningless post” as in your quoted TOS §3? :-?

Greetings, Tom

Post #44 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 am 
Gosei

Spherical stones are just a size of stone which does not exist for slate and shell. It doesn’t mean you cannot custom order the size in another material if you have the money and the connections.

Bonodo, your post is very relevant. I just used it to illustrate that the fact which I posted was also relevant to the thread

Post #45 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:25 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
tchan001 wrote:
Spherical stones are just a size of stone which does not exist for slate and shell. It doesn’t mean you cannot custom order the size in another material if you have the money and the connections.
Well, aside from the fact that I was just kidding re: spherical stones, several decades ago I had the idea to create a go board with small depressions (hollows? corries? indentations? pits? German: »Mulden«) at the intersections, and with marbles instead of our usual stones, but I never got to really creating this since I was busy procrastinating with other stuff :roll:

Quote:
Bonodo, your post is very relevant. I just used it to illustrate that the fact which I posted was also relevant to the thread
Thanks, Tchan, for clearing this up for me, I appreciate this since I really worried a bit. Actually I believe it was not really that relevant but just joking, albeit on topic ;-)

Post #46 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
badukJr wrote:
I have pretty big hands, I hate playing with smaller stones. I cannot grip them. I wish bigger stones were more readily available.

What do you think you'd call big? My 9.0mm are certainly large. I've held 11mm at a congress. Can't imagine playing with them. Like boulders. I'd be afraid to drop them too easily, the famous Bomb Tesuji.

Post #47 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 25
I am inexperienced enough to not yet have a preferred stone size, which means that coupled with my love of collecting game gear in general, I am acquiring various combinations of sizes and materials in an attempt to find out what I like best.

I've had a little experience with 8mm glass, and now I am anxious to try out much thicker stones (10mm, 11.6mm). I figure that once I determine what size I like best, I can then invest in a nice set of slate & shell stones. So far I am liking my new 10mm plastic ING stones a lot more than my 8mm glass stones.

Post #48 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
bogiesan wrote:
badukJr wrote:
I have pretty big hands, I hate playing with smaller stones. I cannot grip them. I wish bigger stones were more readily available.

What do you think you'd call big? My 9.0mm are certainly large. I've held 11mm at a congress. Can't imagine playing with them. Like boulders. I'd be afraid to drop them too easily, the famous Bomb Tesuji.

I think 11 is nice. I like the thickness of single convex too, but I can't pick them up from the board at all.

On a piano I span an octave and four whole steps.

Post subject:
Post #49 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
zslane wrote:
I figure that once I determine what size I like best, I can then invest in a nice set of slate & shell stones.
So far I am liking my new 10mm plastic ING stones a lot more than my 8mm glass stones.
Yes, it takes time to find out your favorite size.
After you have some experience with thickness closer to 11mm (Size 38 = 10.7mm), I think you'll like it better than 10mm. Let us know. :)

Post #50 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm 
Gosei

When I bought my first set of slate and shell, I was aiming at a combination of price and value. The seller in HK let me handle samples of 6 different sizes they sold. They told me to find the one with the best feel for myself. I liked size 34 the best at the time but ended up with size 33 moon which was the closest to the budget I set at the time.

Post #51 Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:40 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 25
Part of me would love to have a set of stones in every even-numbered size from 30 to 40, but that would just be silly, right? :-?

This post by zslane was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #52 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
I ordered a set of 10 mm ING stones (request: without the ING bowls) from Yutopian
on Sunday Jan 20, 2013; and ordered 5 Go books from Kiseido on Monday Jan 21, 2013.
(To take advantage of their 15% off plus free shipping on 5 or more English Go books.)
The ING stones and 4 of the 5 Go books arrived today Jan 24, 2013 in the same package.
The ING stones came with 182 Black and 183 White.
First impression is the ING stones are FANTASTIC for the weekly coffee shop club meet.
Attachment:
2013_01Jan_24-3.JPG
2013_01Jan_24-3.JPG [ 141.63 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]
Attachment:
2013_01Jan_24-4.JPG
2013_01Jan_24-4.JPG [ 151.28 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]
Attachment:
2013_01Jan_24-5.JPG
2013_01Jan_24-5.JPG [ 147.76 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]
Attachment:
2013_01Jan_24-6.JPG
2013_01Jan_24-6.JPG [ 142.63 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post #53 Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Thanks for the photos, always appreciated.
I enjoyed the ING stones tremendously but I really didn't need the six sets I bought back from the Go Congress in Seattle (1996?). So it was my pleasure to give them away to go newbies. Two of those guys disappeared and took the stones with them. Bummer. Two others acquired additional equipment and passed their INGs on to yet newer newbies and the other two are still using theirs.

This post by bogiesan was liked by: Bonobo