It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: unprofessional behavior from KGS admins during/after jub
Post #121 Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 47
KGS: xDragon
pretext: bigdoug had made a vaguely racial comment about how asians cannot pronounce the letter r. a lot of peoples had been discussing it, but i was not part of the discussion at all. then i made a fairly innocuous comment about the whole situation as it finished up (you can see the comments from supervirus that more or less corroborate what i had said)

attachment 1:
Attachment:
egr3.GIF
egr3.GIF [ 68.43 KiB | Viewed 7132 times ]

then i get this pm

Attachment:
bd2.GIF
bd2.GIF [ 25.11 KiB | Viewed 7132 times ]

again, he refuses to acknowledge what i actually did wrong, he spreads judgement in private so that nobody else can see what hes doing, and then purposely ignored me, while claiming that i "distort" his comments, like im somehow doing that with screenshots...

Post #122 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 128
I once got kickbanned for saying "so bigdoug does have a sense of humor", after he said something over the top even by his standards (can't remember exact context).

I believe the ban-message was "no trolling the admins" or something.
I thought it was kind of funny.

Well, what do you expect from an admin whose nick sounds suspiciously like big dick? (Generally, an admin nick incorporating the adjective "big" should give off big flashing warning signs.)

Post #123 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
leichtloeslich wrote:
[..] (Generally, an admin nick incorporating the adjective "big" should give off big flashing warning signs.)
I think “big” may be the usual US American euphemism for “obese” <shrug>

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #124 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 6
I trust you wits were offering similar clever comments while watching bigbadwolf play? Or Bigriver?

Post #125 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:33 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
@leichtloeslich: Reported for language. Those sort of comments also really weaken your argument.

Post #126 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Bonobo wrote:
leichtloeslich wrote:
[..] (Generally, an admin nick incorporating the adjective "big" should give off big flashing warning signs.)
I think “big” may be the usual US American euphemism for “obese” <shrug>

In Doug's case it's simply a reference to him being tall (which he is quite tall)....though I have always secretly suspected it to also be a one off allusion to the 80s arcade game "Dig Dug"

Post #127 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:01 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Uh-oh, what will people think of me?

A few have thought I am a neo-Nazi...

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #128 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:34 am 
Lives with ko

looks like someone doesnt like me posting about their behavior in this topic.

ive been off kgs for the past 24 hrs or so and this pops up when i try to log in

Attachment:
bd3.GIF
bd3.GIF [ 13.47 KiB | Viewed 6891 times ]

Post #129 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 128
Uberdude wrote:
Uh-oh, what will people think of me?

It's not just the name, but the behaviour that goes along with it.

Like, I always figured BD for the kind of guy who might be a police officer in real life who would legally change his name to "Big Policeofficer".
He would always arrive at the scene of the crime late and announce "Hello, I am Big Policeofficer".
His catchphrase is "You're under arrest". Kind of like this guy, only bigger.

Post #130 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
@xDragon: What else do you expect? You keep going out of your way to publicly humiliate the guy.

This post by Splatted was liked by: Pericles

Post #131 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Splatted wrote:
@xDragon: What else do you expect? You keep going out of your way to publicly humiliate the guy.

Well, if that really is what is going on, such retaliation would definitely be unprofessional.

And since I am commenting. . . .

As many of you know, back in the 1980s I was one of a group of volunteers, called Helpers, who helped people use an online conferencing service, called Participate, on The Source (now defunct). I was Lead Helper for a year and a half. While discussing a matter privately with a user would show proper consideration for the user by an administrator, the administrator should have no expectation of privacy himself when acting as administrator. To the contrary, the administrator should act as though his own behavior were visible to everyone. For an administrator to invoke his own privacy concerns violates the professional norm of transparency.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, deja, illluck, joellercoaster, lemmata, RBerenguel

Post #132 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:43 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 0
KGS: Pericles
Those are just assumptions. I seriously doubt admins would ban players on sight just for that (rantings). There probably is a long history before, that no one other than Xdragon or the admins know anyway.

Post #133 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:50 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
Bill Spight wrote:
Splatted wrote:

Well, if that really is what is going on, such retaliation would definitely be unprofessional.

I'm not disputing the hypothetical inappropriateness of BigDoug's behaviour, just saying that it isn't proof that he's a terrible person. An Admin shouldn't hold a grudge and looking at any of these incidents individually he seems out of line, but this thread also makes it clear that XDragon is not the benign user he tries to paint himself as and I can hardly blame BigDoug for being upset with him.

That's not to say he's not right to expose the wrongful bans etc, and I have been thoroughly convinced that there is something severely wrong with the way the KGS admin team works*, but this grudge between them obviously goes back well beyond anything documented in this thread so it's impossible to tell if Xdragon is really blameless. All I see in the current situation is two people doing there best to undermine each other.

*Mostly by there own contributions to this thread. They seem to have a culture of "them vs us".

This post by Splatted was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #134 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:24 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Pericles wrote:
Those are just assumptions. I seriously doubt admins would ban players on sight just for that (rantings). There probably is a long history before, that no one other than Xdragon or the admins know anyway.

Funny, you accuse Bill of making assumptions, and then immediately speculate in your next two sentences. Was the irony intentional?

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: Pericles

Post #135 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27 am 
Lives with ko

Splatted wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Splatted wrote:

I'm not disputing the hypothetical inappropriateness of BigDoug's behaviour, just saying that it isn't proof that he's a terrible person. An Admin shouldn't hold a grudge and looking at any of these incidents individually he seems out of line, but this thread also makes it clear that XDragon is not the benign user he tries to paint himself as and I can hardly blame BigDoug for being upset with him.

That's not to say he's not right to expose the wrongful bans etc, and I have been thoroughly convinced that there is something severely wrong with the way the KGS admin team works*, but this grudge between them obviously goes back well beyond anything documented in this thread so it's impossible to tell if Xdragon is really blameless. All I see in the current situation is two people doing there best to undermine each other.

*Mostly by there own contributions to this thread. They seem to have a culture of "them vs us".

well for years i left the stuff he did to me undocumented but then everyone would insist that im not telling the whole truth and that i was the one to blame somehow when i would mention what hes doing. now im just screenshotting every inappropriate encounter he has with me, so that people cant say that im hiding anything

as for an update, i sent an admin email. seventeen got back to me pretty quickly asking for my username since i had forgotten to put it. i gave it immediately, like a minute after and then they just disappeared, havent gotten an answer in the last 8 hours

Post #136 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
wineandgolover wrote:
Pericles wrote:

Funny, you accuse Bill of making assumptions, and then immediately speculate in your next two sentences. Was the irony intentional?

I do not read him that way. At least as far as my remarks are concerned, we seem to agree that we do not know exactly what happened. :)

As far as the failure of Big Doug to defend himself in another forum, even if that failure may make him look bad, I think that that is entirely appropriate. I have been in similar situations myself, and you just have to bite the bullet, even if you think that your are being unfairly attacked or blamed.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #137 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:19 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Pericles wrote:

From the admin's point of view, Pericles' guess is quite perceptive.

Post #138 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:35 pm 
Lives with ko

i dont know if you realize how annoying it gets whenever bigdoug does someting inappropriate and abuses his position of power, and i provide proof of it, many of you will blindly defend and assume that i did something wrong. maybe i did something wrong a long time ago but that doesnt mean that doug should be allowed to just create reasons to ban me. why would i lie about any of it? chat logs are kept, any admin could research it and find that at least in any of these scenarios, it went exactly as described

its so strange how the go community willfully ignores such things. you claim to respect people but you really dont. anyone with any kind of respect for people and the game of go would try to remove bad influences from the game, much less positions of power, and bigdoug is certainly a bad influence. several times over the years ive seen him treat new players rudely and make them leave.

ignoring the issue just makes it worse, and many of you not only let it happen, you encourage it while wms just idly sits by.

edit: oh look what i just got

Attachment:
bd4.GIF
bd4.GIF [ 76.09 KiB | Viewed 6699 times ]

1. he can sya that all he wants but he has proved in the past that hes been very untrustworthy.

2. how can i take screenshots of his words out of context? he has the chat logs and he could easily prove me wrong.

3. ive left everyone along on kgs for the most part for several months. this is clearly an exaggeration at best. also, to admins, not considering their point of view = not saying theyre right 100% of the time

Post #139 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Why does a thread which purports to discuss the unprofessional behavior of a bunch of amateurs (aka volunteers) generate so many posts?

Of course their behavior is unprofessional - they are not professionals !!!!!!!!!!!

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bantari

Post #140 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:58 pm 
Lives with ko

DrStraw wrote:
Why does a thread which purports to discuss the unprofessional behavior of a bunch of amateurs (aka volunteers) generate so many posts?

Of course their behavior is unprofessional - they are not professionals !!!!!!!!!!!

because you seem to have the assumption that just because theyre not paid theyre allowed to act terribly and do what they want with zero consequence. its possible to act professional and not be paid at the same time you know. but i know youre a former admin so whats the point?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next