All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: lag SUCKS
Post #81 Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
quantumf wrote:
Mef wrote:
A proper lag compensation system requires access to the system clock, which pretty much by definition means native code (which in turn means no longer having a portable java application...or if you use the applet it isn't even an option at all). I am familiar with other servers for other games that do compensate for this, but I don't know of any that are cross-platform compatible (i.e. they are all windows only from my experience as a windows user), and they require downloading / installing an executable program (instead of a of just running a java webstart application).

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "system clock"? Obviously java has the getTime() method, but it seems you might be referring to something more low level, and presumably less hack-proof?

I believe he meant that you need to access a system counter (eg. the system up time) for a lag compensation system. You can't use system current time because it is too easily changed by the average user. Of course this is does not make it hackproof.

Post subject: Re: lag SUCKS
Post #82 Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
Hello,

daal wrote:
It may be true that KGS is not responsible for lag, but it is not the case, as several posters starting with Mivo (who IMO most accurately hit the thread's nail on the head) have pointed out, that KGS could do nothing to reduce the effects of lag. It's just that they, like me, don't want to.

One aspect of my work is representing our technology organisation to our business organisation (then representing the business to the technical people who have to build what we agreed to). Much of the interaction follows a very similar pattern:

Business : I just thought of a great idea
Technology : That's interesting. This is what it will cost to build it
Business : Are you crazy? It's simple.
Technology : It's simple on the screen and complicated behind the scenes
Business : You need to get creative (and make it future-proof by the way)

And so and so on. This thread echoed much of my working day...

By happy coincidence, I'm going through a similar experience at home. We have a crack in our shower basin. I thought the plumber would be able to fix it in an hour. However, he has to replace the basin, which means digging up the tiles, so my wife wants to change the bathtub, which means that she wants to renovate the entire bathroom. So what I thought would be a $250 fix has turned into a $15-20,000 redevelopment. I don't know anything about plumbing, so I thought something which is complex is easy. Funny...