It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Java client source code
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 57
Was liked: 19
Hello,

since it seems the Java client is now effectively abandonware, it would be very nice if we could get the source code. Previously this was shot down because of possible support requests for non-official clients, but since the current client is not being maintained anyway, i think now would be the right time. Please think about it.

This post by averell was liked by: Txewì

Post subject: Re: Java client source code
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 35
Was liked: 18
Is it abandon ware? Where can I get the new version?

In any case, I'm guessing the connection to the server would be very similar if not identical, thus revealing how to interact with the server.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 am 
Dies in gote

sefo wrote:
Is it abandon ware? Where can I get the new version?

In any case, I'm guessing the connection to the server would be very similar if not identical, thus revealing how to interact with the server.

It's abandonware. Known bugs will not be fixed, because wms is fed up with java (reasonably), and all development time goes into the new javascript client which will not get released for quite some time.

If you are getting at reverse engineering the protocol, that has been done. There is an unofficial "hacked" client, but it's hard to update and the machine-generated java is a terrible burden when changing anything non-trivial.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Wait, did he say he wasn't updating bugs? I thought he was done updating *sound* bugs.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:53 am 
Dies in gote

hyperpape wrote:
Wait, did he say he wasn't updating bugs? I thought he was done updating *sound* bugs.

Yes, he did very clearly, the java client is not maintained.
wms wrote:
[...] and at this point I'm fed up and not fixing java bugs any more. Any time I have is going to an HTML client so I can spend my time fixing web browser regressions instead.

I think it would be reasonable to throw the source out to the community, while the replacement is not ready yet.

This post by averell was liked by: Ellyster

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:09 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 3
KGS: AmyTS
People have called for years for the source to be released. It will never happen.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:28 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
They also said the Iron Curtain would never fall. We can live in hope.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
averell wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Yes, he did very clearly, the java client is not maintained.
wms wrote:
[...] and at this point I'm fed up and not fixing java bugs any more. Any time I have is going to an HTML client so I can spend my time fixing web browser regressions instead.

I think it would be reasonable to throw the source out to the community, while the replacement is not ready yet.

As far as I know a clarification of that quote would be "wms is no longer rewriting code to work around things that were working and should still be working, but are now broken because Sun has introduced a new bug into the latest version of the Java Framework" not "I will no longer be fixing bugs in the Java Client." In the case of the sound bug, it is that Sun made Java 7 (and later releases of Java 6) no longer backward compatible with earlier versions of Java, not that there is a bug specific to KGS's code.

That said I do believe currently wms is only working on the HTML5 client, however I don't believe that means he will _never_ work on the Java client again, merely that until the HTML5 client is released that is the priority. I would say calling the Java client "abandonware" is pretty far off base.

This post by Mef was liked by 2 people: Phelan, xed_over

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Mef wrote:
I would say calling the Java client "abandonware" is pretty far off base.

Good soundbite though.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:30 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
Mef wrote:

As far as I know a clarification of that quote would be "wms is no longer rewriting code to work around things that were working and should still be working, but are now broken because Sun has introduced a new bug into the latest version of the Java Framework" not "I will no longer be fixing bugs in the Java Client." In the case of the sound bug, it is that Sun made Java 7 (and later releases of Java 6) no longer backward compatible with earlier versions of Java, not that there is a bug specific to KGS's code.

I am disappointed to hear that. Can I know the id of the bug in java bug database?

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
duckweed wrote:
Mef wrote:

I am disappointed to hear that. Can I know the id of the bug in java bug database?

I believe it is 7095006, but it's tough to confirm on my phone. Searching java 7 sound bug turns up lots of issues for other programs too, and some recommendations to not upgrade because of critical errors (though I think most of those are fixed)