It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost game..
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
I am just wondering why I lost this game. Is it because of bad aji I left or because my opponent was desperate and played overplays in hope for me making a mistake?

Before white invaded my top I was sure that I was winning by a lot so I simply allowed white to live while fixing my aji in top right and top left.

However after the second attach invasion I had no idea what to do and in the end my opponent managed to win. I surrendered later when I failed to notice a huge point that I was supposed to fix. This players name is japan1d which kinda suggest they are 1 dan. However I didn't really feel their power in the opening. That sneaky 2nd invasion is what got the best of me.

Any thoughts?

Attachments:
japan1d-Avendatore.sgf [3.29 KiB]
Downloaded 328 times

Post subject: Re: Lost game..
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Krama wrote:
I am just wondering why I lost this game.

Because you made weak shapes in your (legitimate) attempt to kill and white found the h16 cut to live. There were many opportunities to make killing white easier: a highlighted few working backwards:
mv 127: play k14 instead. Fix your cuts, don't protect your territory. This is a basic idea when killing groups. White can't make any eyes by jumping in that area, and your group has enough eyespace and can connect at f12 if it needs help. (Of course white c13 was also a mistake, he should do h16 immediately, though there is a rather hilarious ko in the corner at a18 now.
mv105: f15. Fix the bigger problem, white can't make 2 eyes from capturing one stone.
mv99: c16, example of extend not hane when your opponent is trying to make sabaki: There isn't enough space to live in the corner with calm extend so don't give white cuts to make a mess.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 am 
Lives in gote

I am playing really bad when under a lot of pressure.

All of these bad moves were made in byo yomi and having white doing sabaki in your moyo isn't exactly something you can be calm about.

I feel ashamed for losing this, you showed me good moves and now that I see them I get the feeling white couldn't have lived there.

What a fool I am.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Krama wrote:
I am playing really bad when under a lot of pressure.

All of these bad moves were made in byo yomi and having white doing sabaki in your moyo isn't exactly something you can be calm about.

I feel ashamed for losing this, you showed me good moves and now that I see them I get the feeling white couldn't have lived there.

What a fool I am.

I would hardly call it sabaki. After all, if should have died. Rather, I would call it is heavy group which was lucky to live.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:28 am 
Lives in gote

Well Dr.Straw now you just make me feel even worse :D

However, if we forget about my mistakes after white invaded is there anything else I could have done in the opening?

I kinda had a feeling my fuseki was quite better than the fuseki white presented. I also played san-san and I can say I kinda like it.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:04 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I have two recommendations for improving:

1) Quit playing aji keshi. ( Look up 'aji keshi' at sensei's library )
A) Move 35 as you played it forced him to patch his weak spot. ( At P2 might have killed him )
B) Moves 47 and 49 force him to patch a gap between D4 and H3.
C) Move 51 forces him to patch a gap between D8 and E5.

2) When your opponent invades, decide whether you are going to lock him in or lock him out.
Move 97 should have been C14 or E14.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I have two recommendations for improving:

1) Quit playing aji keshi. ( Look up 'aji keshi' at sensei's library )
A) Move 35 as you played it forced him to patch his weak spot. ( At P2 might have killed him )
B) Moves 47 and 49 force him to patch a gap between D4 and H3.
C) Move 51 forces him to patch a gap between D8 and E5.

2) When your opponent invades, decide whether you are going to lock him in or lock him out.
Move 97 should have been C14 or E14.

Well I am aware of aji keshi however what I was doing is I was trying to do force moves in order to get some eye shape. Since I did invade in enemy moyo and I got sealed in, I had to make eyes.

Your p2 suggestion is kinda cool tho :)

Also thank you for the lock in lock out suggestion. I will be sure to try it out in my next games.