It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I lost by only 15.5 points!
Post #1 Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:18 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
OGS: TSLexi
Online playing schedule: 12:00-12:00 PST
I lost my last game by only 15.5 points! I'm getting better! https://online-go.com/game/987969

Post subject: Re: I lost by only 15.5 points!
Post #2 Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
When your margin of loss gets narrower and narrower, it's a good sign ;-)

I noticed that in your first several moves you mirrored your opponent's moves. If you plan to play this way, you should take Black and make your first move on tengen, then play mirror moves.

In other comments, move 5 should be at D3. Playing it at R15 doesn't really accomplish anything. That is, in terms of strategic, whole-board development your actual move was no good. Playing at D3 would've given you 12 points of easy territory. Shortly afterwards a play at K3 or K4 would be a good strategic move.

Move 7 should be played at S15. Extension is a very common response to attachment by enemy stone.

The moves up to White 66 seem rather bizarre to me. Perhaps it's because I no longer play that way myself. However, if you notice the picture of the board at that time, Black has a big, secure center group and on the top left side White is very weak. However, on the top right side White has a strong group and your Black group is in danger. A stronger player would've killed that Black group before anyone could save it.

It's nice to see that you were fighting with your opponent in this game, but acquiring some opening skills will help improve your game tremendously.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:50 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
OGS: TSLexi
Online playing schedule: 12:00-12:00 PST
Thanks for the tips!

Btw, I had some great fun pitting a chess engine against itself. It resulted in White's perpetual check, although it would IRL result in a draw because of the 50 Move Rule.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
And here is proof that even stronger players make mistakes. This is my latest game against COSUMI. I played a 4-stone handicap game at a low level of difficulty and yet, due to White 217 and my failure to repair a formation weakness, I lost my center group and lost the game by 13 points.