It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painful half-point loss in 13x13
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
I felt like I came back from being behind, then let the game slip from my fingers at the end.

Were my feelings correct? I know I made a couple of mistakes that were obvious even to me, but I'd really love some feedback as this game also feels representative of where I am at the moment.

Attachments:
927207-121-joellercoaster-emistichio.sgf [1.28 KiB]
Downloaded 395 times

Post subject: Re: Painful half-point loss in 13x13
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
joellercoaster wrote:
I felt like I came back from being behind, then let the game slip from my fingers at the end.

There is plenty I don't understand about this game.

:w72: seems clearly wrong: expand the upper corner, which gets damaged here.

Then there is a two-point sente against Black's lower territory you ignore: :b95: takes it away. Funny business with the halfpoint ko at the end, also.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by: joellercoaster

Post #3 Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:38 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
Yeah. I had my eye on the two-point push at :b95: for a while earlier, I can't explain my failure to do it.

:w72: seems wishful. I seem to suffer from that a little - read ahead into a favourable continuation that will never happen, because my opponent has a much better move (I was trying to link up the two groups or gain territory while Black split, which seems ridiculous in retrospect). Something to work on.

Thank you!

Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
After White 24, Black 25 should be at 7-9, aiming to cut White at 8-9 on the next move. White will reinforce here and Black can protect the cutting point at 6-10. The cut of White 28 is painful for Black.

White 32 at 6-13 was unnecessary. 3-6 would've been better.

Black 33 should be at 3-5. The 3rd Golden Rule of Go states, "Get strong before attacking". White 34 and Black 35 are the reason for this.

On the 13x13 middle game starts almost right away. So a strong command of tactics is often key to playing well and winning. Doing lots of easy tesuji and life & death problems will be very helpful in this regard.

I agree with Charles Matthews. The game is a bit hard to understand. Then again, more advanced players tend to avoid playing the way that Black and White played in this game.

To remedy defects in playing habits, I recommend replaying pro game records on a regular basis. Of course 8k is too early to begin understanding what goes on in pro games, but committing the moves in pro game records to subconsious memory will help to build intuition for good shape and playing moves that work well together. After, say, 6 months of replaying pro game records as a supplement to playing actual games, the reasoning behind the moves begin to become clear. Of course you will not understand every jot and tittle, but at least some basic ideas will come to mind.

If you win, then hit a string of losses, just remember that success in Go does not require great natural talent or Einstein-like intellectual capacity. Rather, faithful, constant practice and refinement are all that is required.

This post by tekesta was liked by: joellercoaster