It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ASR Match
Post #1 Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn

This is the first serious game I've had since my rather lengthy break from Go which has been about six months. I felt I didn't play too horribly (of course that's my own perception). But I mean I don't feel my level has dropped considerably despite the absence.

Still, I was hoping to get some commentary on this game.

I went with the kobayashi opening as I've decided to experiment with it. Here are some direction questions/observations from me:

Move 10: I was a little amused here as you'll see in the comments. I have never personally seen a scenario like this with this sort of opening. Is this common?

Move 19: I'm sure some would say this was a bad move and a waste. But it does force :white: to respond, so I guess it's not too awful.

Move 21: This was me trying to figure out the biggest move. I know that when the kobayashi is played this spot is usually played by :white:, so I figured I might as well play it!

Move 24: I drew a blank on how to respond to this, so I took the safe route.

Move 67: I felt like I floundered really bad here and I began to wonder if the Ko was worth as much as I thought it was. Apparently :white: thought little of it, but I decided I had invested in the capture so I captured.

Move 75: I began to entertain thoughts of killing S10.

Move 83 & 85: I began to doubt my ability to kill this group. And I felt in my heart that :b85: was a big move. So I weighed my options. I could take the risk of this move being taken away by continuing my attempt to kill, or just take it. I took it.

Move 110: And....I goofed. I'm not exactly sure where I went wrong here, but I'm positive :white: shouldn't live like this. But :white: did. I actually smiled in an amazed fashion that I goofed so bad here. I did not honestly expect this sort of sequence and I surrendered what I wanted to get there. I briefly considered conceding the game here, but I soldiered on anyway.

Move 129: In hindsight, I feel like I responded to :w126: all wrong.

Move 131: And this is the move that I hate the most. I'm thinking perhaps G16 instead?

End: And I resigned shortly after as I figured my group was dead.

So, what do y'all think?

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi hailthorn,

:b13: did you consider attaching at 3-3 ?

:w14: for example, W could've pincered instead (e.g. D13 ).

Post subject: Re: ASR Match
Post #3 Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:16 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
Here are some points that jumped out to me:
:b11: - The normal response to the Kobayashi is to approach far away, at c14 (or r6). When the opponent approaches closely like this, the usual punishment is to pincer, like EdLee suggested. Because your opponent did not pincer, I liked the idea of :b13:.
:b19: - I agree that it's a bad move. White responded, but that's the case with all aji keshi moves. Without this move, Black could have played E17 later to keep white low and make eye space for the group that eventually died.
:b21: - good, strong move
:b65: - better shape would be s7. White was able to use this bad shape to secure a bit more eye space for his side group
:b93: - I think this can just be p2, following the theory of reducing eye space before jumping inside. Since White will be undercut on both sides, you can still jump in later
Black 107 - This is the goof. If you play at n6 first, then white connects, and then you play at p5, you can connect everything and white is in trouble.
Black 147 - If this move is at a16, I think Black can live. With another throw in at A18, you can squeeze white and then cut off the stones with d18. White now has a shortage of liberties.

Post subject: Re: ASR Match
Post #4 Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
@Edlee: I did consider it but I felt it might be too small. I did do it with :b15: though. And yeah I thought :white:'s move there was rather odd. I suppose attaching was the better move than where I played with :b13:?

@amatterof: Move 107 comment: I feel silly for not doing that now.

Thanks for the comments!