All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few gaps in my playing.
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine

In the above game, I took 2 stones of handicap and lost by 9 points. I think I played well, though there are gaps in my playing and it shows in the transition from opening to middle game. I yet do not know how to attack in middle game and my opening moves might not be severe enough. For example, would :b26: have been better off played as :b8: ? I played :b8: as in the above game to maintain strategic consistency. Greed seems to be my main problem at the moment and I am trying to shake it off. Much obliged in advance for your input.

Post subject: Re: A few gaps in my playing.
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
Below, I list a few moves where I think they are not optimal. It is not a complete review, because I'm not enough of an expert for that. If I'm mistaken please (anyone) feel free to comment on that.

- :b6: IMHO too much in the vicinity of already existing stones. The lower-left corner is somewhat settled for now, so this looks like trying to make territory with your influence in a very early phase. Instead I would try to claim additional influence in areas which are still more "undiscovered", most probably I would approach the top left corner at F17. Maybe some stronger player could give some even better advice.
- :b16: at K15: This looks somehow "disconnected". In the following, white could jump to O14 and O12 and then threaten to either surround your stone on a large scale or to invade right side.
- :b20: at R5: This is really bad shape: The rule of thumb is: If you peep into a keima, you must cut in the next move. If cutting does not work (as in the game here), the peep is already mistaken. If :w21: just connects at S5, he is immediately alive (almost...). As an alternative you could have played the attach move R5 at :b18:, then :w19: on Q5 and :b20: on O4. In that situation, the w stones are still unsettled and the black stone on R10 (would be even better if it was on R9 as in the chinese opening) puts additional pressure on the w stones. W would have to run or live small while you can get points e.g. at the lower right corner and the lower side.
- :b72: - :b76: I'm not sure if playing out a broken ladder is much helpful. The w stones cannot be captured and it just hurts your E14 stones on left side.
- :w91: If w extends here at C13 it seems your black stones around there are just dead (as a consequence of the comment above). The Cosumi engine plays very generously here, but most human opponents wouldn't ;-)
- Move 132, 134: Another broken ladder. It seems, ladders are among of your "gaps" ;-)

There are probably more moves to discuss but that's what I could see at a first glance.

Post subject: Re: A few gaps in my playing.
Post #3 Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:33 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
:b18: This is the classic position in which you should play r5 kick.