All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally, a won game against Leela
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
I just played this game against Leela and won by resignation. I thought I was falling behind, but in the end the program resigned. I counted White's area and found that I was ahead by 9 points, excluding any komi. Again I would like expert analysis to find any faulty plays. White got 3 corners and this made me think I was falling behind. Would it have been better to make a timely play to have Black keep two of its corners? ( :b38: at E15, for example.) Much obliged in advance for your comments!

Attachments:
Me_vs_LEELA_on_9H_2016-12-07.sgf [1.47 KiB]
Downloaded 398 times

Post subject: Re: Finally, a won game against Leela
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Congratulations on your win! Now on to all the bad stuff ;)

For :b2:, it's hard to say this is wrong with so much strength, but the following play looks like it's directed solely at making territory, while black should be aiming to keep white weak.

:b10: and :b12: are good.

The joseki choice at :b16: to :b20: is fine, but peeping at C8 is not. White's weakness with the possible cut here is what keeps white from being able to successfully cut black at D5. Fixing it helps white. Instead, you can just push along and make 5th or 6th line territory.

For :b27: I might prefer J7 or so, to seal off the entire bottom right quadrant, but reinforcing the two stones is also a sound tactic.

:b30: is settling for too little, I feel. Consider that a move ago, black had a lock on 3 times as much space.

:w33: probably isn't worth responding to. Black could seal off a side or corner easily now... where is white's territory going to be?

:b38: and :b40 solidify white without much gain for black. Time to just remove aji instead. Imagine C16 for black, for example. Your suggested move, E15, doesn't actually help the aji in the corner much. It's better to just play in there directly. Even D15 would be alright.

:b62: is much too small. It claims, at most, a couple points of territory on the side. Forget about moves like this and secure the big areas from invasion.

Regarding :b76: and 102, you need to be aware that this shape, called the elephant's jump, has a big weakness in the middle. Don't use it if you need to stay connected.

At 112, this is just reading. In general, you tend to leave edge shapes in this game unfinished, which gives your opponent big sente endgame moves. Here, at S9, at C18 all spring to mind.

Don't forget to take your sente endgame moves like T14 as well.