It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game I played on Dragon Go (14kyu v 11kyu)
Post #1 Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 4
DGS: 13
Universal go server handle: Gegenzeit
Hi,

I've just finished this game on Dragon Go. This is the first time that I review one of my games after finishing. I plan to make this a habit and hope it will help me to NEVER again play moves like I did in this game ;)

I currently concentrate on the moves 1 to 61. I made a lot of mistakes there and do not want to go on until I figured out what I could have done better. I'm especially interested in feedback to the following moves:

Move 16: I think I should have expanded somewhere along the upper side...Maybe around K17? Additionally, it seems to be badly placed (over concentrated after 20, does not prevent white 53 etc.)

Move 20: I'm a bit ashamed for this move. Again, I think I should have expanded on the other side to make use of my influence.

Move 26: I think about H17 instead. I look for a nice sequence that allows me to keep sente and finish with black 26.

Move 30: Hane at F3?

Move 36 & 38: the pincer at 36 seems to be a bad idea now. What would be an alternative in this situation? Please do not talk about 38 ... it is sooo bad ;)

Move 53 to 61: I would like to have some alternatives to attack white 53.

Thanks a million

Jörg

PS: For anyone who is interested: I also posted my thoughts about the game on my blog: http://www.double-hane.blogspot.com.

Attachments:
review.sgf [1.99 KiB]
Downloaded 505 times

Post subject: Re: Game I played on Dragon Go (14kyu v 11kyu)
Post #2 Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:38 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Ahhh...it is a pity that you did not kill him. You almost got him. :clap: :clap:
Just one or two minor improvements and you'll be able to crush him.

Your biggest opportunity for quick improvement will be studying the difference between weak stones and strong ones. You let him bluff you several times - protecting stones that were already strong ( example: Q4 ) instead of attacking him. On other occasions, you left your own stone too weak ( D12 ).

My comments are in the diagram below.

EDIT: Just noticed your question about 53. Your 54 is good. Your 56, however, pushes him in the direction that he wants to go. It should be around F9.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: kwhyte
I'm bouncing around 3kyu on DGS, so take my comments with ample grains of salt.

* Your 2 and 4 are a bit submissive - 4 in particular is a small, low extension from a group that is already strong and only a weak pincer. I would be more inclined to answer along the top to develop the two start points there. When white ignores 4, coming back to make him heavy is a good idea. Responding to that by jumping into the corner is not something I've seen before. Your 8 can't be bad, but the doesn't look right to me somehow - in particular, the potential of white R15 is bothersome. I'd have played Q14 instead of Q17, but that may not be right.

Move 16: I think I should have expanded somewhere along the upper side...Maybe around K17? Additionally, it seems to be badly placed (over concentrated after 20, does not prevent white 53 etc.)

* Your 16 is indeed playing in a small area since no one has much scope for a big territory around here. Your suggestion of an extension on the top is much better, and well be best. However, ignoring the approach move to your corner and letting white play a second move here can lead to some difficult fighting, and since white has played from an unimportant direction you can just answer on the bottom, say at F4, and be thankful for the exchange. White 17 is another move you should thank your opponent for - you had a serious weakness at D14 and white is forcing you to fix it.

Move 20: I'm a bit ashamed for this move. Again, I think I should have expanded on the other side to make use of my influence.

* Your 20 is big, but your second thoughts are correct - a move like L17 was urgently called for, you can't let white just extend to K17 and basically settle himself in the face of your walls on both sides. This applies at 22 as well - the desire to answer the hane is understandable, but its value is mostly erased by k17 as well.

Move 26: I think about H17 instead. I look for a nice sequence that allows me to keep sente and finish with black 26.

* H17 is not good - since it isn't much of an attack and your group is strong it is just about territory, and purely territorial moves usually aren't good early. In this case it'd have been small territorially as well. However you still would really like to attack white's two stones somehow to get some value out of your walls - I hope some stronger plays will suggest how. I'd likely have played Q14 here, but your switch to the bottom corner makes just as much sense, maybe more. The exact move you picked doesn't look right to me there though. It takes some territory and takes away white's opportunity to get a base by sliding into the corner, but with the bottom edge open white can just extend along the bottom and that direction is bigger. If I were to play here I'd pincer - I like K4 to connect up a bit with the lower left, but wouldn't argue with any pincer from that direction. You could also play in the lower left here, say F3, and challenge white to do something with both stones.

Move 30: Hane at F3?

* Do you mean E3? If so, no - that gets you in trouble with the cut at E4 quickly, the hane is generally not good when white has a stone like D6 in place. You played the joseki here just fine. White's G2 looks odd to me - it can be pushed low easily, and might well end up getting cut from the corner group.

Move 36 & 38: the pincer at 36 seems to be a bad idea now. What would be an alternative in this situation? Please do not talk about 38 ... it is sooo bad ;)

* The pincer at 36 isn't so bad, but it might make sense to play further away to try to get some double purpose moves against the bottom left as well. 38 is not as terrible as you say - it strengthens your weakest group in a running battle, which is often a good idea - it might be better at H3 or somewhere else around here, but the idea isn't bad at all. Something like M5 would certainly have been more severe, so I'm not saying it was the perfect move, but from my point of view there have been worse in this game from both sides already.

* Black 44-46-48 do not work out well. After extending to get your group a base (at 36) you somehow let white cut it off and so practically settle his group while letting yours be stuck eyeless running into the center. I'm not sure exactly what to suggest in response to white's K3, but keeping it separated from O3/5 is top priority. After that, black 52 is way too slow and heavy. Your group is not really weak given your overall outside influence around the board, and with white settled here it's not important anyway.

Move 53 to 61: I would like to have some alternatives to attack white 53.

* Your 54 is not bad, you don't want to let your corner group get surrounded since it has no real eye shape. If you want to be more severe, maybe E8? You're not afraid of white pushing through at D9 since you are so strong above. You need to worry about what happens to your corner after white plays at F6, but you have so many places to cut it can't be that dangerous. On the other hand, this may not be the biggest area to play - your biggest potential is on the right side, and expanding it either from below or by leaning on the white group on the top edge might be better. So perhaps your goal here should just be to settle your corner in sente so you can play on the right first.

I'll stop my comments here as you request, but your position is pretty strong after 61. In my opinion you definitely did not lose because of the where you are at this point, but because you weren't able to get enough profit out of the attacks on the weak groups white has scattered around the board.

Thanks a million

Jörg

PS: For anyone who is interested: I also posted my thoughts about the game on my blog: http://www.double-hane.blogspot.com.[/quote]

Post #4 Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:53 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 4
DGS: 13
Universal go server handle: Gegenzeit
Thanks a lot to both of you! Your comments are incredible helpful.