It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rating system
Post #21 Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
IMO it would be better if it would reset after every 20 games group. That means: If you e.g. are 13W6L and you lose one more it shifts to 0W0L while keeping your rank and says: 1D up: +14, 1D down: -14 and then it starts all over again. I feel that would be clearer.

Post #22 Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Lives in gote

After playing as a pretty stable 1d KGS, after over 90 games on Tygem and based on my playing experience I can say that a 3D-Tygem equals an average 1d-KGS and a 4d-Tygem equals a strong 1d-KGS or a weak 2d-KGS.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Pippen wrote:
After playing as a pretty stable 1d KGS, after over 90 games on Tygem and based on my playing experience I can say that a 3D-Tygem equals an average 1d-KGS and a 4d-Tygem equals a strong 1d-KGS or a weak 2d-KGS.

This is also my exact experience.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Pippen wrote:

I'm just curious how it translate to the "real world" EGF/AGA/other organization rank? What is a 1dan on kgs? EGF 1-5 kyu? AGA 1k/1dan?

Post #25 Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:15 pm 
Lives in gote

lobotommy wrote:
I'm just curious how it translate to the "real world" EGF/AGA/other organization rank? What is a 1dan on kgs? EGF 1-5 kyu? AGA 1k/1dan?

EGF <= KGS, means: EGF and KGS ranks are about the same with a small touch EGF's rank being a bit stronger/lower in comparison to KGS, maybe half a stone; kind of like a 1d KGS might be a strong 1k EGF. AGA and Tygem should be about the same. Both are way over KGS' ranks.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Pippen wrote:
lobotommy wrote:

EGF <= KGS, means: EGF and KGS ranks are about the same with a small touch EGF's rank being a bit stronger/lower in comparison to KGS, maybe half a stone; kind of like a 1d KGS might be a strong 1k EGF. AGA and Tygem should be about the same. Both are way over KGS' ranks.

I'd be wary of these direct comparisons, since so many factors are at stake. For the longest time, my KGS rank was several stones "over" than my AGA rank, mostly due to the amount of tournaments I played, and the same was true for awhile on Tygem.

It might be arguable that the "average strength" of a system can be compared to another, but even this isn't a great indicator, as some systems have greater variation and/or skew.

On top of all of it, I personally believe that there is a psychological aspect, too: if you believe that you should be able to beat rank X on a given system, you are more likely to ;-)

This post by Kirby was liked by: skydyr

Post #27 Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:49 pm 
Lives in gote

What does "RP" mean and what's the use of it? I am a strong 3d/weak 4d at Tygem and I have 21184 RP right now.

Post subject: Rating system
Post #28 Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Pippen wrote:

I am a little sceptic about that (I'm 3k egf vs 2d kgs), but probably it varies for each country and my tournament's updates of EGF are too low in numbers. But I'm in doubt I could be a dan level, maybe 1 kyu, probably just 2k.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:09 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
lobotommy wrote:
Pippen wrote:

I am a little sceptic about that (I'm 3k egf vs 2d kgs), but probably it varies for each country and my tournament's updates of EGF are too low in numbers. But I'm in doubt I could be a dan level, maybe 1 kyu, probably just 2k.

Just as people speak of a Korean style, for example, there seem to be styles in Western go that are common to certain countries, and it wouldn't surprise me if a European style might be better or worse at particular things that happen to easily exploit or be exploited by an American style, for example, which result in some of the rating differences (but not all).

Additionally, rating systems make an assumption about how broad a given rank is in terms of strength, so it's possible that a standard rank difference of, say, 2 ranks around 1d-2k may spread to more or shrink to less as one goes up and down the rank scale.