All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Insei League – new concept and rule changes (March, 2012
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
The major difference between the KGS and Korean insei league used to be the age of players – we worked generally with adults and the Korean schools focus on children under 18. This result primarily occurred due to a large fee and the absence of discounts for children.
Nowadays, when the American Go Association and the European Go Federation proclaimed their first steps towards creating their professional systems in Go, the development of youth Go becomes particularly vital.
Go ceases to be just a hobby, we call for young players who are ready to devote themselves to the game and to compete later with Asian professionals.
Since 2012 we have changed our pricing policy leading to extreme simplicity of entering and participation in the League for any promising children.
The first three prizewinners of the European and the US Youth Go Championships under 12 and 18 (totally 12 people) get the free places at the Insei League.
Go Champions under 12 and 18 of any country get 3 month at the League instead of 1 for $95.
The young players who took 2-5 places during the last youth Go championship of their country can play for 2 months instead of 1 for $95 (is equal to 50% discount).
The rest of young Go players under 18 (stronger than 10 kyu) get the 15% discount.
There are still a lot of adult players in the League so to avoid misunderstanding between players of different ages we ask to put the real photo of every player in his KGS profile (not a mandatory requirement)
We set up a special jackpot that will be monthly increased by $250. What can you do to get it?
- Be a current member of the Insei League
- Take 1-3 places at the World Youth Go Championship under 12 and 18 or 1-3 places at the World Amateur Go Championship or 1-3 places at the Korean Prime Minister Cup.
Every year the League will store about $3000 and we hope that this jackpot helps to develop a more serious approach to Go studies.

In December 2011 during the last session of the Insei League we noticed the lack of people who are ready to review their games with the teachers. In order to increase the amount of people who wish to get their games reviewed we decline all offline reviews that have lost any notable popularity. It is still profitable to play as much as possible to get the maximum amount of game reviews, but all the games can be commented only on KGS in real time.
As in December 2011 Alexandre Dinerchtein will conduct 50% of all simultaneous games. The rest of the simuls will be conducted under KGS nickname “sabom”. Some simuls will be held by roln111, solaris, aguilar, Wichmaster, Karnesun, HappyLook and other 5-8 dan players.
Like in December the prize money will be available only for top-group players.
The major innovation of the League:
Every day we will spend several hours watching the Korean Baduk TV with live translation provided by Alexandre Dinerchtein. Part of the programs will be translated into English, part – into Russian.
The live action on the screen will be transmitted to KGS. During commercial breaks on TV Alexandre will answer your questions.
Any people who wish to watch lectures and Baduk TV broadcasts without playing in the League can get the room access for $25.

Post subject: Re: The Insei League – new concept and rule changes (March,
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
KGS: Gorim
OGS: Dokuganryu
Maybe I am just bit cynical or jealous, but as a 25 year old who started playing 4 months ago, all those youth discounts make me feel little "redundant" or "unworthy" of real attention.

I understand the idea of rising the level of Western Go, and that this will be best achieved by working with children, but decided to express my sadness that I haven't started earlier and now am not considered a good material for a really strong player :sad:

More on topic, I think that offline review of games are a valuable asset in improving, and don't understand how these could not be popular among members of the league :scratch: It is much easier to read a sgf file review whenever You have the time, than to have a online review...

Anyway good to know the league is starting once again :clap:

This post by Dokuganryu was liked by: Ellyster

Post #3 Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
If it's any consolation, I started at 24 :)

Post #4 Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
I started playing in my late 20s (which, I might add to avoid seeming older than I am, was only 2 years ago). That said, it is pretty clear that children have much more potential to be among the strongest players. I wouldn't mind subsidizing them. If they get in free, I suggest monitoring them to make sure they don't completely blow it off, so the spot could be given to someone more worthy. If they have to pay something it seems more likely they'll take it somewhat seriously (I don't mean that these kids should study go 10 hours a day 5 days a week or anything).

Take these comments for what they're worth--I'm not in this league and never have been. Although the Baduk TV sessions seem quite enticing (I see there is a TV-only option...).

Post #5 Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 66
KGS: stalkor
Did i miss it or were there no actual changes in rules.

Granted that they changed entrance fees for children and additionap prizes the actual league system did not change, which in my opinion should at least be looked at.

I hope the children prove to be "reliable" players in the league because usually they can only play for a really small period each day because of school or curfew

Post #6 Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 63
GD Posts: 150
KGS: aokun
Gorim wrote:
Maybe I am just bit cynical or jealous, but as a 25 year old who started playing 4 months ago, all those youth discounts make me feel little "redundant" or "unworthy" of real attention.

I understand the idea of rising the level of Western Go, and that this will be best achieved by working with children, but decided to express my sadness that I haven't started earlier and now am not considered a good material for a really strong player :sad:

More on topic, I think that offline review of games are a valuable asset in improving, and don't understand how these could not be popular among members of the league :scratch: It is much easier to read a sgf file review whenever You have the time, than to have a online review...

Anyway good to know the league is starting once again :clap:

FWIW, I started playing go at age 40 and have, deep inside, had some of the same reactions you're having. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that while it would be impossible for me and heroic for you to become professional, that is partly because being professional is an insanely hard, laborious, time-consuming task. Both of us can, if we work at it, become really very strong. I mean, I may be getting low on time for it but that's on me. You have the time and telomeres to do it.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: stndtrkyns
Um how does one access the lectures for $25 Also does this run during July-August can we start at any time or are the one month period fixed I really only have time to study go during the summer

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
KGS: Gorim
OGS: Dokuganryu
There is no league going in the summer.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 am 
Dies in gote

Location: Granada, Spain | Osaka, Japan | Turku, Finland | Tokyo, Japan
Liked others: 50
Was liked: 22
KGS: Ellyster
Quote:
It is much easier to read a sgf file review whenever You have the time, than to have a online review...

I completely agree with Gorim... get 1 out of each 4-5 games that you play there, reviewed by one of the teachers, in your mail was 'one' of the key attractive of the Insei League.

And from a psychological point of view, if you take that away that, but still put cost at $95... makes it feel much expensive now.

That's because before you get Lessons + Simultaneous + Games + Reviews, against the KGS+ ($5) that is only Lessons + Games + Simultaneous... so it was the main business differential advantage. The other bussiness business competitive advantage are quality relate (you get more simultaneous games, quite few in KGS+, more easy access to teachers, and more regularity in your number of games)... that is very important, but not differential.

Now, as they can get almost the same... just with quality differences (due to the size of grups and level of attention)... lot of people will choose KGS+, thinking in make an extra effor to cover the diference (playing more by theirselfs, even if they don't at the end) just to save 90$. Because now your product target public and KGS+ target public have become the same, so now all the fight will by in terms of quality/cost relation, and that usually favors the cheapest one.

At least that is what business theory says...

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
KGS: 10k
Tygem: ?
IGS: ?
Wbaduk: ?
DGS: ?
OGS: ?
Universal go server handle: ?
Online playing schedule: Whenever
breakfast wrote:
The major difference between the KGS and Korean insei league used to be the age of players – we worked generally with adults and the Korean schools focus on children under 18. This result primarily occurred due to a large fee and the absence of discounts for children.
Nowadays, when the American Go Association and the European Go Federation proclaimed their first steps towards creating their professional systems in Go, the development of youth Go becomes particularly vital.
Go ceases to be just a hobby, we call for young players who are ready to devote themselves to the game and to compete later with Asian professionals.
Since 2012 we have changed our pricing policy leading to extreme simplicity of entering and participation in the League for any promising children.
The first three prizewinners of the European and the US Youth Go Championships under 12 and 18 (totally 12 people) get the free places at the Insei League.
Go Champions under 12 and 18 of any country get 3 month at the League instead of 1 for $95.
The young players who took 2-5 places during the last youth Go championship of their country can play for 2 months instead of 1 for $95 (is equal to 50% discount).
The rest of young Go players under 18 (stronger than 10 kyu) get the 15% discount.
There are still a lot of adult players in the League so to avoid misunderstanding between players of different ages we ask to put the real photo of every player in his KGS profile (not a mandatory requirement)
We set up a special jackpot that will be monthly increased by $250. What can you do to get it?
- Be a current member of the Insei League
- Take 1-3 places at the World Youth Go Championship under 12 and 18 or 1-3 places at the World Amateur Go Championship or 1-3 places at the Korean Prime Minister Cup.
Every year the League will store about $3000 and we hope that this jackpot helps to develop a more serious approach to Go studies.

In December 2011 during the last session of the Insei League we noticed the lack of people who are ready to review their games with the teachers. In order to increase the amount of people who wish to get their games reviewed we decline all offline reviews that have lost any notable popularity. It is still profitable to play as much as possible to get the maximum amount of game reviews, but all the games can be commented only on KGS in real time.
As in December 2011 Alexandre Dinerchtein will conduct 50% of all simultaneous games. The rest of the simuls will be conducted under KGS nickname “sabom”. Some simuls will be held by roln111, solaris, aguilar, Wichmaster, Karnesun, HappyLook and other 5-8 dan players.
Like in December the prize money will be available only for top-group players.
The major innovation of the League:
Every day we will spend several hours watching the Korean Baduk TV with live translation provided by Alexandre Dinerchtein. Part of the programs will be translated into English, part – into Russian.
The live action on the screen will be transmitted to KGS. During commercial breaks on TV Alexandre will answer your questions.
Any people who wish to watch lectures and Baduk TV broadcasts without playing in the League can get the room access for $25.

I would like to be in the league as I fit in the under 18 category, but they need to have the Insei league a place where you try to become a pro like in Hikaru no Go. Also I think it is sort of annoying that all go is pretty much played on KGS and those other websites because I want to play in a real tournament