It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The stones go walking, and I with them
Post #41 Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:47 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I did mean hane. I realized my mistake right after I posted (from my phone while trying to get a bath ready for my daughter :-) ) but decided not to go back and fix it at the time. And actually, it's bath time again. I'll answer the rest later. :-)

Post subject: Re:
Post #42 Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am 
Lives in sente

Sorry for the long delay in reply. That bath took longer than expected. ;-)

EdLee wrote:
jeromie wrote:
The diagonal tesuji at G19 is obvious now.
I think the big wall black gets by sacrificing those stones...
Which diagonal tesuji ? Do you mean hane ? (On which move? )
Who is sacrificing which stones ? :)

I was looking at the G19 hane for black move 47. After move 45 white can definitely capture black's H18 group, so I figured that was where I was to look for capturing the white stones.

If white takes the F17 stone on move 48, black can still capture his stones. So it looks like a better move for white is to play F15 and put the black stones at G16 in atari. If white extends twice (to F14) he can either connect his f15 group to the h15 stones or capture the group at the top, depending on how black responds. However, I must admit that looking at the game a few days later, black will have the option to cut at J16 or H13 and leave black with two weak groups, so capturing the stones does look better. If black sacrifices the H18 group, all of the white stones on the top become safe and white can use them to harass black later. Time brings often brings clarity. :-)

I've attached another version of the same game that includes a few of the variations I'm talking about in the above paragraph. I'm sure I've left a few things out or played some suboptimal moves, but I hope it communicates my idea. (Some of the old comments are no longer accurate, but I didn't remove everything. The relevant branches are on variation 3 of move 47.)

Thanks, Ed, for encouraging me to look through the consequences of my moves in a bit more detail.

Attachments:
losing-game-review-additional-variations.sgf [6.51 KiB]
Downloaded 743 times

Post #43 Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 pm 
Lives in sente

This journal entry is not concerned with any particular game I've played; it's just a collection of thoughts about my recent play and progress.

I've taken great joy in a number of my games lately. I had a couple of games where I was able to take a small lead in territory on the sides at the cost of leaving my opponent a significant amount of outside influence and then turn the center into a jumbled mess where neither of us got very many points. It's fun to look at a large expanse of the board and think, "I can't make territory there, but I bet I can make it so that my opponent can't either."

I've been slowly working through James Davies' Tesuji, and I'm almost done with it. I only get about 60% of the problems completely right (i.e. read out the best line for both sides), but the book has done a lot to open my eyes to moves I should consider. I'm sure it will be worthwhile to work through it a second time when I'm stronger. I also finished Graded Go Problems for Beginners volume 3, which I have on my iPhone and started working through it a second time. It's a good companion to Tesuji, since I see many of the same type of moves in a different context. I recently bought the pdf version of Robert Jasiek's Easy Learning: Joseki. There hasn't been anything written about it online aside from Jasiek's own comments, so I'll post a review after I've finished reading through it at least once.

I occasionally wish I had recorded some of the high handicap games I have been playing at the local club. When I first started playing go I didn't think I was likely to play 8 and 9 stone games, but they're actually a lot of fun. The biggest challenge is trusting my own reading and not playing slack moves and hoping that the handicap stones will save me. Playing what I consider to be the "right" move against an opponent with superior reading abilities is intimidating, but I learn a lot from it. I've actually been pretty successful at winning those games, though that's hardly the main point in a high handicap game. Fortunately, I've also learned a lot along the way.

Overally, I've been having fun with the game and seeing definite progress. It looks like I'll be a solid SDK on KGS by the end of the summer. I've held a 9k rating for a couple weeks now, and I think I'll likely get to 8k by the end of the summer. It feels a lot different than when a few fluke resignations pushed my rank up that high and I feared being slaughtered when paired with an even opponent! I actually expect to win every game I play, and when I lose I can usually see several moves I could have played differently upon review. There is still a tremendously long path ahead of me, of course, but the little bit of progress I've made has been encouraging.

This post by jeromie was liked by: topazg

Post #44 Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
jeromie wrote:
I recently bought the pdf version of Robert Jasiek's Easy Learning: Joseki. There hasn't been anything written about it online aside from Jasiek's own comments, so I'll post a review after I've finished reading through it at least once.

I will be interested in your review of this.

It sounds like you're having a grand time learning as you go. If you ever want a friendly game on KGS and I happen to be on, let me know. I think us L19 folks should ALL play each other more often ... :mrgreen:

Post #45 Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Marcus wrote:

It sounds like you're having a grand time learning as you go. If you ever want a friendly game on KGS and I happen to be on, let me know. I think us L19 folks should ALL play each other more often ... :mrgreen:

Thanks; I'll take you up on that. I think it'd be a lot of fun to play some of the folks from the forum.

Post #46 Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 pm 
Lives in sente

I haven't posted here in a while (has it really been nearly two months!?), mostly due to the fact that the school year started back up and I had less time for go during the busy first few weeks. Things have settled back into a regular rhythm, so I've been able to play a bit more go lately. I had a run of poor play (including at least one bad experience where I was harassed for playing "too slowly", which made me very self conscious about my play for the next several games), but I've been able to turn things around. I've had several pleasant games on IGS recently, so I think I'm going to play enough games to stabilize my ranking and participate in the sports accord / Pandanet cup online tournament.

I was able to share the rules of go in one of my classes in honor of Learn Go Week. I then made the students write a program that would draw a goban and allow a user to place stones on it. :) One of my students used to play frequently (he'd apparently been as strong as 5k at one point), so he challenged me to a game after class. I won because he was a bit rusty, but the game was quite fun!

Post #47 Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 pm 
Lives in sente

I'm posting an interesting game I played a little over a month ago. It's not one of which I'm particularly proud… my wife got home around the time I was entering the endgame, and my already poor endgame skills were made even worse by distraction. I also grew impatient with my opponent playing inside what I viewed as secure territory at the end of the game, which led me to dismiss a real threat a little later on.

But for all of its faults, this game is interesting for one particular reason: this is the first game I played where the ruleset made a difference in the final result. I was playing on IGS, which I thought used Japanese scoring. However, a quick perusal of these forums (and my own game record) shows that IGS scores the eyes in a seki. At the end of this game, my opponent had one point in the eye of a seki and I lost by one half of a point.

Attachments:
MWZOCPRQRZ.sgf [5.22 KiB]
Downloaded 715 times

Post #48 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Why did you not mark the stone at E1 dead? It is not technically part of your seki (it's dead inside your eye) ...

Post #49 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 am 
Lives in sente

Marcus wrote:
Why did you not mark the stone at E1 dead? It is not technically part of your seki (it's dead inside your eye) ...

Huh. I hadn't noticed that before, but you are (of course) right. I was so frustrated that I had allowed my opponent to form a seki (by passing, no less), I missed that stone in the counting phase. I didn't notice it when I reviewed the game, either. Oops!

Post #50 Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:18 pm 
Lives in sente

I've been reflecting on my improvement in terms of the number of games played rather than the passage of time. I discovered go sometime in 2011, but in the first two and a half years after I learned the game I played fewer than 100 games. I began 2014 at around a 12 kyu ranking (on KGS), and I made the decision to engage in the discipline of regular play throughout the year. I played nearly 200 games in 2014, and I ended the year with an 8 kyu rank on KGS. It's clear that my progress has slowed down (in terms of stones gained versus games played), but I'm also still steadily gaining strength. An old google search turned up an estimate of 1000 games for most people to reach 1 dan… I'd say I'm on track. :-)

Here's a game I played this week that felt like a good representation of my go (or perhaps a representation of my good go). It's still full of kyu level mistakes (I am still a kyu player, after all), but I felt good about the game at the end.

Post #51 Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
There are some minor mistakes that you will probably get rid of with a little more experience.

Like move 64 would have killed at B19 (throw in before reducing from the outside). Or 212 is gote while there's still sente moves.

If you manage to fill another 200 games this year, I'm sure you'll end up improving even more. It's inevitable, really.

Post #52 Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:10 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks for taking a look!

I didn't see the killing move at 64 (thank you), but I did realize move 212 was bad as soon as I played it. I often bleed points in the endgame; it's one of the areas where I have the most obvious room for improvement.

Post #53 Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Some comments:

Attachments:
jeromie.sgf [8.54 KiB]
Downloaded 568 times

Post #54 Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks for the comments, skydyr. They're quite helpful!

In particular, I think they give me some clarity about the proper direction of play in the middle game. I can often identify tactical errors after I've made a blunder (though there were certainly instances where they went unpunished in this game, so your comments there are helpful, too), but it's easy to overlook strategic mistakes when I'm reviewing a game that I've won.

Post #55 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 pm 
Lives in sente

There are a few areas where I've noticed that I am weak relative to my level:
  • Endgame
  • Ko fights
  • Super aggressive ("Tygem-style") players

One of the common elements in these positions is that they demand split attention. I can't just look for the best local move (though of course I flub that sometimes, too), but must consider multiple tactical fights at the same time. I'm not sure there is a great way to train this skill besides trying to be mindful while playing games. Tsumego can help me evaluate the local positions more quickly and more accurately, but it's when those local fights get knotted together that I start making foolish mistakes. I'm going to try to be more careful in these kinds of situations going forward.

Post #56 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm 
Lives in sente

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread, but I'm going to pick it up again for a while. I'm going to spend some time focusing on the opening. I have a two part plan for doing this:

• Choose a single fuseki to play in my games as black and a single fuseki as white.
  • Study the joseki and other positions that arise in the opening while playing those fuseki.

I won't be able to stick with this one hundred percent of the time. In particular, I play a lot of handicap games and that will throw some of my plans out the window. But I think that temporarily restricting my play style will help me to more quickly understand the positions that arise.

My plan is to play this as black:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ +--------------------------------------+
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 . . . .|
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . . , . . . . . , 1 . .|
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . .|
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . .|
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 . . .|
$$ +--------------------------------------+[/go]

(I did consider choosing to play 3 on the star point, another opening I like, but decided to try the double 3-4 point for now.)

most of the time I expect this to continue as follows:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 . . . .|
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . . , . . . . . , 1 . .|
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 . . .|
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 . . .|
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . .|
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 . . .|

As white, I like to play one star point and one 3-4, like this:

[go]$$B
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . . . . . . . . , . . . . . 1 . . .|
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . 3 . . .|

Here I'll probably either face an approach to the stone in the upper left corner or have to play against a Chinese fuseki or sanrensei.

Obviously my opponents won't always play two star points, but there are very few openings I face where these moves are bad.

Here's a game I played as black last night.

A few of my own thoughts on the game.:
  • I tried a slightly looser pincer for move 7 (probably not too good).
  • Looking at Josekipedia after the game, move 9 was almost certainly the wrong response. My opponent didn't punish my choice, though, so I got away with a decently sized corner. Of the variations shown in Josekipedia, I think I like the hane at P2 the best. The others lead to some very complex fighting, which I suppose I should get used to if I'm going to start on two 3-4 points and regularly plan to pincer. That will be another way this experiment can grow my game. :-)
  • My play in the upper left corner looks reasonable. I didn't have this sequence memorized, but it shows up in Josekipedia. I ended up with a decent corner that wasn't boxed in, which was my goal.
  • I'm not sure if move 29 was good. I had a lot of choices here, since my major groups were all settled. I wanted to break up white's territory before expanding my own framework (mostly because having stones in that area would make fighting easier later), but I let white quickly settle the lower left corner and the group in front of my corner. I'd love any comments about the appropriate direction of play at this point.
  • Move 40 by white was interesting. The sequence that follows wasn't standard (per Sensei's Library), but it seemed to work out okay for me. White got thickness, but I made territory on the right and sketched out potential territory on the top. And white wasn't totally without weaknesses, which came into play later in the game.
  • Move 141 was probably a mistake on my part. It gave me something to attack, but I don't think the overall result worked out in my favor. If I had saved the three stones, I think I would have had about 9 more points on the top, while white would have had about 11 points in the center. As it was, white got 3 points in the center plus the three captured stones, so it was a net loss for black.
  • 239 and following were nice for black, but 249 should have been at E4. It didn't matter because the game was over, but I need to make sure I have the discipline to have the proper follow up after a nice sequence. Sometimes I can get so excited that I capture a few stones that I stop looking for good moves. That's a bad habit.

Post #57 Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
jeromie wrote:

Your opponent didn't have much of an idea how to attack you: :w32: can usefully be L5, and the weak group on the left side was let off the hook. :b47: is bad style.

Post #58 Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:52 am 
Lives in sente

Charles Matthews wrote:
jeromie wrote:

Your opponent didn't have much of an idea how to attack you: :w32: can usefully be L5, and the weak group on the left side was let off the hook. :b47: is bad style.

Thanks for your comments. I agree that I got let off the hook too easily. Were 29 and/or 71 in the wrong place, or were they ok but I should have expected much harder fighting?

What would have been a better choice for 47 to keep pressure on white's group?

Post #59 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
jeromie wrote:

Question about :b29: - I would certainly move it to the left, since White is so strong to the right.

Black at G3: seems orthodox, but White at J3 then seems to cramp Black quite effectively.

Black at F2: one of my pet odd ideas. Black at C2 next would be good, so presumably White plays from the left, say at E3. Then Black at J3. White is hardly going to make the narrow extension at L3 next. Black seems to have a base.

:b47: - the normal idea is to play this one to the left.

:b71: - seems to be playable at C9, which has some potential above and below (rather more rugged version of the same miai principle).

Post #60 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:57 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks, Charles. Glad to see that I was in the right vicinity. One point makes a big difference, though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next