It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Full of passionate intensity... S2W's Study journal
Post #61 Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:07 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 35
IGS: S2W
Wbaduk: stuw
DGS: S2w
OGS: S2W
Online playing schedule: IGS & DGS most nights
167-176
Here's my take on it...

Post #62 Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Knotwilg wrote:
:
you are well ahead by B123

In the game I thought so too - but white has sente and if I count it seems very close.

Post #63 Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Yes, the analysis of the upper right is fine. I'd add one variation: after the wedge through the keima, you can atari three stones, then atari them again, thereby capturing the other two stones in sente, sacrificing one stone yourself. In this case that would be biggest I believe.

Post #64 Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:08 pm 
Lives with ko

On a bit if a slow decline at the moment - loosing ~2 out of every games, usually by less than 10 points. I did have one big win playing against a three stone handicap but it was the exception. Need to do some reviews and see if there is a consistent theme.

Post #65 Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:56 pm 
Lives with ko

As an aside I've always wondered a bit about those players on igs with 10000+ games - aren't they supposed to be geniuses having logged their 10000 hours of go?

Secretly I always imagine some poor hikikomori sitting in the dark hunched over an led screen cursing out Malcolm Gladwell (...no wait that's me). My other theory was that they were actually failed computer science 101 ai projects let loose on igs and then forgotten until they started to gain sentience. Or dans pummeled down to ddk rank after a long night of drunken blitz matches (no that's me again - minus the dan part). That or frustrated sandbaggers whos only joy in life comes from beating down the innocent before inexplicably resigning in order to suppress their rank and further torture, confuse and humiliate their victims.

But perhaps there is a simpler explaination - maybe the counter is busted. (See attachment - screenshot from recent opponent)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 22.39 KiB | Viewed 8237 times ]

Last edited by S2W on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #66 Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:35 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Or a shared club account.

Post #67 Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:59 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
S2W wrote:
I always imagine some poor hikamuri (sp?)...
Do you mean hikikomori?

As to the reason for accounts with that many games: I share Uberdude's point of view. They're probably just shared accounts. I've been to some Japanese go salons that had a pc open somewhere in the back. It's handy to have when there's an uneven amount of players.

Post #68 Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:20 am 
Lives with ko

Hushfield wrote:
S2W wrote:
I always imagine some poor hikamuri (sp?)...
Do you mean hikikomori?

That's the one - thanks! My limited Japanese is appalling - particularly after it's passed through my Australian accent filter.

Quote:
As to the reason for accounts with that many games: I share Uberdude's point of view. They're probably just shared accounts. I've been to some Japanese go salons that had a pc open somewhere in the back. It's handy to have when there's an uneven amount of players.

That's interesting. How do they work? Do the salons have 1 account per salon or one per rank?

Post #69 Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 pm 
Lives with ko

Another close one but a win this time. I've decided to stop editing my opponents names - for one I'm loosing count of what game I'm up to and it's a real pain to go back and edit them on my ipod. For two, I found an old game of mine in greendemon's journal and got a real kick out of it - I figure someone else would too.

I'm still hanging in at 9k+, but just barely - a few more losses than wins and I'll drop a half rank. I've been trying out new things so that explains some of it. Probably more is that I was doing better with a more territorial style - but the random invasions/josekis I've been trying out haven't really been tailored to that approach. Hopefully it's one step back two steps forward.

Game 12

Post #70 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
When I browsed through the game it had in general a good feeling, you taking some territory while White playing for influence. You granted him the 4th corner to reduce his central potential instead. Some highlights:

:b37: it's not "joseki" but it achieves a nice result, while White's ponnuki overlaps a little with the existing influence (still White can now go for a big moyo)
:b47: it's not intuitive to leave that corner behind, but it's a sharp tenuki
:b57: I like this reduction a lot.

In these 30 moves you take the lead, as far as I can judge. The bottom line is that you don't play standard moves mindlessly. You do a genuine positional judgment. This is very promising.

:b87: is a bit greedy; at the centre left you have the opportunity to both reduce his territorial potential and expand yours. Next, White rightfully ignores your move and goes there. This made the game close.

Question

:b19: I know not enough of joseki to judge this move but I'd think you should answer the wedge first. However, the result looks pretty even.

Post #71 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:23 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Just a quick point about the top right one space jump. If you intend on approaching the top left I'd recommend the knight's move so you don't owe a move on the right. Or really try to get sente (so just 3-3 after his pincer and he probably blocks top side) after the approach there. Btw double approach is overplay, he could have made life hard for you by answering at 3-3. With jump you can then continue with right side hoshi and if white then plays top left corner you can shimari in the lower right or f5 jump. It's a moyo game and black is doing a decent job of preserving the first move advantage. Rather than top left white may also approach lower right which likely ends in gote for him and then you can approach top left.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #72 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the review Knotwilg - your comments were too kind (I'm going to have to go and loose a few more games to balance out my ego).

Knotwilg wrote:
:b87: is a bit greedy; at the centre left you have the opportunity to both reduce his territorial potential and expand yours. Next, White rightfully ignores your move and goes there. This made the game close.

Yes - I was really concerned about the size of his terriory on the right - especially after giving him a big lhs, I didn't really think too much about the shared points between us. I guess my instinct comes from looking at a board and thinking - "well we've both got stones around there so there's not much gain to be made" - in this case though his counter was definitely sente and because we were both racing upwards I had more of a chance to capture points in the region than I otherwise would. While his gains on the rhs became less the further up we went because of the openings I had for later on.

Quote:
:b19: I know not enough of joseki to judge this move but I'd think you should answer the wedge first. However, the result looks pretty even.

I did a pro game search and they all answer the wedge. I was winging it at the time.

Post #73 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:54 am 
Lives with ko

Uberdude wrote:
Just a quick point about the top right one space jump. If you intend on approaching the top left I'd recommend the knight's move so you don't owe a move on the right. Or really try to get sente (so just 3-3 after his pincer and he probably blocks top side) after the approach there.

Yes - the knights move was my response of choice while I was my winning streak - basically I would just play as solid as I could and try to grab the next big point when my opponent lost sente - definitely here it would have been the better choice.

Quote:
Btw double approach is overplay, he could have made life hard for you by answering at 3-3.

It was a bit of a yolo move (and inwardly I knew it at the time) - but I wasn't sure how it would be punished (and frankly the couple of times I've played it move opponents seem a little unsure of what to do - so that has made it fun to play if not the "right" move). Thanks for pointing out the 33 response - I guess that for the double approach to work you need to have enough space to make good your escape.

Post #74 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:11 pm 
Lives with ko

Game 13

Another close one - but another win!
Actually I'm pretty pleased/lucky that I got the win after 3 massive blunders at the start:
1. A miss-click on move 4
2. Something - I know I wanted to play there in game but boy I wish I could claim a second miss-click - on the rhs. (I think I wanted to limit the wall and have a two space extension in case I was pincered - but ... It just looks ugly)
3. Stemming from the same play so I don't know if I can claim it as a third mistake, but a big ko early on. I think I made the right call and let the ko threat go early but ... Ow

Anyway as a result I started playing it a little bit more like a handicap match, actually got in front (I think?) then pulled my usual trick and let my lead dissipate in the endgame. I did grab a big 2nd line hane though - so I was happy there.

Post #75 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
S2W wrote:
Game 13

:w4: No need to call this weak.

:w14: From the point of view of shape, B3 has advantages. Aim at G4 and the double hane.

:w18: I think that White needs to play G2 straight away. And this can't be the correct point on the side. There is an open skirt because White is at B5; and so Black can't make quick territory here. C13 is more reasonable. But R3 is urgent, anyway

:w28: OK for shape, but White has lost ground here.

:w44: Obviously you just capture.

:b51: This kind of play is pretty bad.

:w72: Just play O14 and allow Black to worry about the cut.

:w76: White is trying to win with the one big territory. About 50 points, but that's not overwhelming.

At B105, White has not being playing very well, and the game has become close.

Post #76 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks Charles

Quote:
:w4: No need to call this weak.

I should learn how to use it then - I guess it is aiming at the side, can't be pincered easily. Is it really legitimate to play rather than taking the open corner?

Quote:
:w40: Obviously you just capture

Yes - erm obviously ... :oops: . I think more than anything else I need to work on calming down and taking a minute to look at the board.

Quote:

This seems to be my mo - flap around in the beginning, take a big lead early mid game and have it dribble away to nothing by the end. Is it that I'm playing too soft/slow or missing that one key move - or is it that the weaknesses in my shape are coming back to haunt me?

Post #77 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:47 pm 
Lives with ko

My last 4 games have been nail biters:
Win 3.5 ponts
Win 1.5 points
Loss 1.5 points
Win 0.5 points

More wins than losses but it feels like tie,tie, tie, tie.

My counting is getting a little better - my final count was within 1-2 stones for the first 3 and I predicted the result for all but the last. My nerves are shot though.

Post #78 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:26 pm 
Lives with ko

Misclick revisited

Post #79 Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
S2W wrote:
My last 4 games have been nail biters:
Win 3.5 ponts
Win 1.5 points
Loss 1.5 points
Win 0.5 points

More wins than losses but it feels like tie,tie, tie, tie.

My counting is getting a little better - my final count was within 1-2 stones for the first 3 and I predicted the result for all but the last. My nerves are shot though.

Close games are the best! :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #80 Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
S2W wrote:
Quote:

This seems to be my mo - flap around in the beginning, take a big lead early mid game and have it dribble away to nothing by the end. Is it that I'm playing too soft/slow or missing that one key move - or is it that the weaknesses in my shape are coming back to haunt me?

For example, consistency after :w78:. This may be playable, but with :w82: you need to play R9 and push right along the edge to get the benefit. If the lower group is really too weak, it wasn't a good plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next