It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Emojis
Post #21 Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
DrStraw wrote:
The golden age is always two generations ago. Civilization is cyclical, spanning four generations, according to The Fourth Turning by Strauss & Howe. And so after every four generations we return to where we started, and in between we are at the opposite extreme.

I vaguely recall this book. Isn't it essentially an update of the cycles hypothesized by Herodotus (5th century BCE) in The Histories?

Post #22 Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Aidoneus wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
The golden age is always two generations ago. Civilization is cyclical, spanning four generations, according to The Fourth Turning by Strauss & Howe. And so after every four generations we return to where we started, and in between we are at the opposite extreme.

I vaguely recall this book. Isn't it essentially an update of the cycles hypothesized by Herodotus (5th century BCE) in The Histories?

Well, I am not familiar with The Histories, so I don't know. But its thesis is that it takes four generations for society to die off and forget the wisdom of its forefathers and so things tend to go in four generation cycles. A person's grandfather and grandchildren are in the same phase of the cycle.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
First, thank you Aidoneus, I’m glad I read the post to the end because I also wanted to post that Hesiod quote :-D

DrStraw wrote:
[..] Civilization is cyclical, spanning four generations, according to The Fourth Turning by Strauss & Howe. And so after every four generations we return to where we started, and in between we are at the opposite extreme.
and
DrStraw wrote:
[..] its thesis is that it takes four generations for society to die of and forget the wisdom of its forefathers and so things tend to go in four generation cycles. A person's grandfather and grandchildren are in the same phase of the cycle.
It’s a downwards spiral, I think: same phase, one level lower.

Greetings, Tom

Post #24 Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Many cycles seem to exist: personal, generational, societal, maybe even cosmic.

As is the generation of leaves, so to of men:
At one time the wind shakes the leaves to the ground
but then the flourishing woods
Gives birth, and the season of spring comes
into existence;
So it is with the generations of men, which
alternately come forth and pass away.
- Homer, The Illiad, Book Six

This post by Aidoneus was liked by: Bonobo

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:59 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
cyclops wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
.... As for there ability to compose a good e-mail, let's not talk about that.

Putting us for a test, Doctor?

Well, that's obviously a typo. But I am talking about people who don't even know the difference between their, there, or even they're.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
DrStraw wrote:
Well, that's obviously a typo.

Obviously. As was "a slightly sophisticated grammar..." Next time use a write-it-for-you app and that sort of thing won't happen.
Attachment:
emoji.jpg
emoji.jpg [ 11.53 KiB | Viewed 5026 times ]

Whether old-fashioned or newfangled, a butchered text will cause one's grandparents and grandchildren alike to cringe as if stung by jellyfish.

This post by daal was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post #27 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:58 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
cyclops wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
.... As for there ability to compose a good e-mail, let's not talk about that.

Putting us for a test, Doctor?

Great example of Muphry's Law. :lol:

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Bonobo

Post #28 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:00 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
daal wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
Well, that's obviously a typo.

Obviously. As was "a slightly sophisticated grammar..." Next time use a write-it-for-you app and that sort of thing won't happen.
Attachment:
emoji.jpg

Whether old-fashioned or newfangled, a butchered text will cause one's grandparents and grandchildren alike to cringe as if stung by jellyfish.

{For emoji, see previous note.}

The pen is not as sharp as the computer, which deleted Mr. Whipple's files, so he squeezed a cretin so hard in his disappointment that he saw stars, while the jellyfish partied like bunnies.

Right? :mrgreen:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, daal, Fedya

Post #29 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
I am reminded of this XKCD:

(hidden for size)

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by 5 people: Aidoneus, Bonobo, DrStraw, ez4u, Inkwolf

Post #30 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Having read numerous non-fictional books, I've often wonder how many ideas have really stuck in my head and how deep the thoughts were evolving about these ideas, with respect to the time invested into reading the words conveying them.

I am quite sure that the art of book writing will not be looked back upon as our peak of information transfer. While there will be little quibbling over the amount of such transfer today, I argue that even its depth will improve, once we have wielded these new instruments.

For more good stuff about the deficit of (symbolic) language and the vanishing days of pen & paper as the interface, read Bret Victor (worrydream).

Post #31 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:17 am 
Honinbo

HermanHiddema wrote:
I am reminded of this XKCD:

(hidden for size)

So true!

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #32 Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am 
Honinbo

Knotwilg wrote:
Having read numerous non-fictional books, I've often wonder how many ideas have really stuck in my head and how deep the thoughts were evolving about these ideas, with respect to the time invested into reading the words conveying them.

"Reading rots the brain."
-- Schopenhauer

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #33 Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Aidoneus wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
The younger generations (I'm no longer sure whether I fall in their ranks or not) are much more illiterate, uncivil and uncultured than their elders. Where they shine is in not believing self-serving myths about how their generation is the best. But give them time. Eventually they'll be old and will start posting crap on the forums.

Why we can't discuss such issues without some younger person deeming it a personal attack on them is beyond me. I believe that you mean "The Greatest Generation"--coined by Tom Brokaw to describe the people who fought during World War II, fathered the baby boom, and became the "silent majority" under Nixon. I'm closer to the hippie generation--we invented make love, not war. Of course, once in power many former toker/pokers seem to have succumbed to the dark side. :lol:
A personal attack? I don't consider it one. My mother used to work as a copy editor, and for a few years she marked up all the errors in my essays before I turned them in. As a result, I have passable grasp of written language, though I do overuse commas, especially if I don't stop to edit my writing. I'm also a few years too old to use text speak: I use periods and complete sentences even texting (but my elders don't: http://xkcd.com/1083/).

What I object to is, to repeat myself, the ahistorical and self-serving character of the comments (see Herman's post for some evidence). There's no definitive way to settle the issue, but for every anecdote or trend you cite, I could offer an opposite one. Did you know that teen pregnancy is at its all-time low?

Again, give it time. Someday, the kid who is sitting around listening to "dubstep" will be posting on a message board about how the kids these days have no respect or sense. And just like today, it will be bullshit (in the technical sense).

Let me leave you with something amazing and fun.

This post by hyperpape was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Inkwolf

Post #34 Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:06 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I'm sure that youth adapts better to the challenges of its time than elders, in all times.
I'm also quite sure that the art of full sentence writing in proper grammar and spelling is one that elders are generally better skilled at. This is mostly because that art shows a diminishing value in our times.
Youngers are impressively better at making videos or multitasking (aka not paying attention), for example.

Progress is not linear. Some virtues and skills may have to come back.

Post #35 Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:25 am 
Lives in gote

hyperpape wrote:
A personal attack? I don't consider it one.

No? It seemed like it to me after you introduced a defense of younger generations. The discussion concerned the societal changes that have been driving weaker students into colleges, not how much better the top students used to be in some glorious past. I suggested that the trend of pushing to enroll everyone into college has met with so much success primarily owing to the loss of middle class manufacturing jobs. I knew many kids at my school who went straight into the steel mills during the 1960s. (Of course, many others had musical, athletic, or some other talent that they pursued.) Since the mid-1970s, U.S. Steel Gary Works, for example, produces just as much steel but with one-tenth the workforce. I don't think that I am an elitist. I do think that those who insist that everyone should try to get a college degree are misguided, at best, or simply shills for the for-profit colleges that have sprung up across the U.S. (Edit: See this WSJ article for changing employment: http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-americ ... /?mod=e2fb)

As for how much better, or maybe more civil, public discourse was in America's golden past, I would refer an interested reader to Richard Rosenfeld's American Aurora. American Aurora is a reprint of substantial portions of the Philadelphia Aurora newspaper, which was published from 1794 through 1824 by Benjamin Franklin's grandson, Benjamin Franklin Bache (d. 1798), and William Duane. Even the most casual perusal will dissuade the reader of any image they may harbor of polite "drawing room" mild discord among the general voting population. In my opinion, reading this old newspaper will do more for understanding the political battle between Adams and Jefferson than any 10 academic tomes put together.