It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
Post #21 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
schawipp wrote:
A dan-level teacher may find it pretty obvious that these groups are weak
and can not imagine that a beginner still struggles in recognizing that obvious fact.
Hi schawipp,

Remember understanding is a continuum.

Examples:
  • ~20k - 10k -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • SDK's -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • Low dans -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • Mid dans -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • High dans to pros -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.

Understanding of strong and weak groups is not digital; it is not an either-or situation;
it is not either "I understand weak groups" or "I don't understand weak groups".

It's a continuum. For example, a mid-dan person can fail to recognize a group is in danger,
but it's "obvious" to a high-dan or pro -- this is how a 3-stone game is possible between them.

Teaching level is also a continuum.

When you mention a "dan-level teacher," that is a huge spectrum.
I take it that you mean the teacher's Go playing skill is dan level, which is
in itself a very big continuum (from 1 dan to pro).

The teacher's Go teaching level is another matter all together.

A teacher who "understands" a student's understanding of weak groups is one level.
A second teacher who does not understand it is another level.
schawipp wrote:
In these situations I think it will take a very long time to find these issues without a stronger teacher by myself (if possible at all).
I think you're right.

Post subject: Re: Understanding
Post #22 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
So, the experience of playing the joseki ("how did I get in this river?") plus the pain of misplaying ("Damn, that was a sharp rock on the bottom!"), plus the education ("this is how you elementary back stroke") combine to help me remember.

I don't think this is quite what Ed is implying. Because he is referring to taiji and because he put "understanding" in quotes, I suspect he means there is no goal of understanding. By following the correct path you just end up "doing" something (but because this is oriental, mystic, hippy, enlightened or however you want to describe it, you achieve that by wuwei - "not doing"). It seems to follow that if you define an explicit goal ("remembering") you are already on the wrong path.

An example I like is from my student days. A fellow student, doing a PhD and so obviously bright, had a great and, I thought, irrational grudge against society because he was born a year or two earlier than the rest of us. He therefore missed out on a welfare innovation introduced for toddlers just after the war. This was orange juice in a bottle. He blamed missing this for the fact he was very short.

Now I have no idea whether free orange juice makes you grow, but I am quite prepared to accept that it does you some good, and that it definitely can be very handy to have it in a bottle, especially in post-war conditions. There was an explicit goal (health) and this was a rational way of achieving it. I consider this an RJ approach.

Yet, despite the rationality, I and, I'm sure, nearly all of my generation gave up drinking orange juice from bottles and even as children went through the tedious, difficult, messy operation of learning to peel an orange. We didn't even get much practice, since an orange was usually only an annual treat in the bottom of the Christmas stocking. I can still remember the awe we children felt at the way some adults (the 9-dans) could peel an orange so that the peel came away as a single strip.

But we persevered, and the situation now is that we can unthinkingly (the real meaning of wuwei, I think) peel an orange and suck out the juice and - this is an important point - unthinkingly enjoy it and unthinkingly imbibe its health benefits.

Nowadays, of course, you can get your orange juice from a carton, and even get a choice of "with bits" and "without bits". But think of all the unintended benefits we got from learning to peel an orange that you miss with a carton: dexterity, biological insights, learning to peel other fruit, the sheer joy of making a mess we weren't punished for... And instead of orange DDKs we unthinkingly became orange pros.

I tend to rail against the contrasting RJ approach to go not because it fails but because it sets explicit sub-goals and makes achieving them the sole criterion. It's the go equivalent of putting orange juice in a bottle in grim post-war conditions - works (though only in the sense of achieving a sub-goal) but is no fun.

Peeling the orange of go is messy at first, but is fun. Managing eventually to do it is a more satisfying kind of fun. Being able to do it unthinkingly while focusing on something else is unthinkingly fun - the most sublime kind. Too much go teaching cuts out this fun element, except perhaps the kiddywinkle kind. In any case, the burden of expectations placed on western go teaching is far too high because too many people want go in cartons now.

In any case, learning to peel an orange is something you can properly only do by yourself.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I don't know if there is one for peeling an orange, but there is a TED talk for tieing your shoes :) .

http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_ho ... anguage=en

Post #24 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
John Fairbairn wrote:
In any case, learning to peel an orange is something you can properly only do by yourself.

Is this what you mean, John?

Attachment:
Tangerine Man medium.jpg
Tangerine Man medium.jpg [ 43.96 KiB | Viewed 10650 times ]

Post subject: Re:
Post #25 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 485
Was liked: 166
KGS: aco
IGS: oca
OGS: oca
EdLee wrote:

Examples:
  • ~20k - 10k -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • SDK's -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • Low dans -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • Mid dans -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.
  • High dans to pros -- have their understanding of strong v. weak groups.

I remember the first time someone invaded my hoshi on a 3-3 point... that was a revelation...
With that new knowledge, I cannot resist to do invasion myself "as soon as possible".

After a few ( :roll: ) loses, I finally ... understood ;) ... that it was not that great to invade hoshi immediatly,
so I went for another rule which was "if hoshi has two larges extensions, invade" and then I saw that a two spaces extension form hoshi can still be invaded successfuly, and then, saw that there is even possibilities with a small castle formation, with probs and so on...

It seems to me that we should do things "just before it's too late" but here again... every level has its own understanding on when it's still possible to do something on given board/position and when it's not possible anymore.

That's why I like this game so much... we never stop to (re)discover the game....

Last edited by oca on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by oca was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, EdLee

Post #26 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Regarding "that guy trying to make pro in golf", it's not going so well is the general consensus.

His site is http://thedanplan.com/ and he's a bit more than halfway through, with 4500 or so hours left. He has conceded mistakes, like spending his first few months just doing short putts, but I'm not convinced he will make it. There is some discrepancy between what he claims as his handicap (sort of like a rank) and his tournament performance, and on the golfing forum I look at, most people seem to think he wont make it (http://thesandtrap.com/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer).

On a related note, there was this article on Slate recently about the fallacy of the 10,000 hours thing, stating that while it was helpful, it was far from the most important thing or the greatest predictor of success in a field: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/09/malcolm_gladwell_s_10_000_hour_rule_for_deliberate_practice_is_wrong_genes.html

Post #27 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:04 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
On the 10,000 hours idea:

That idea has a long vintage, with some variations. When I first heard it, it was about becoming an expert. Now, there are many professions where experts can earn a good living, but sports is not one of them. To be a pro golfer you need to be a very good expert.

Edit: I see that the Slate article references a 1993 study. I first heard that it takes around 9,000 hours to become an expert in the late 1960s.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I'm following expertinayear.com where a British table tennis coach tries to get a beginner friend into the top 250. While being less dependent than "making a living", becoming an expert in a competitive motoric skill in just one year still remains very tough. We're into october now and I remain skeptical (but sympathetic). In such a short time frame I believe one should concentrate on the things that make a difference in daily competition, rather than the big picture. Both coach and guinea pig are investing a year of their life into it, which is admirable.

Post subject:
Post #29 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:33 pm 
Honinbo

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
So, the experience of playing the joseki ("how did I get in this river?") plus the pain of misplaying ("Damn, that was a sharp rock on the bottom!"), plus the education ("this is how you elementary back stroke") combine to help me remember.
I don't think this is quite what Ed is implying. Because he is referring to taiji and because he put "understanding" in quotes, I suspect he means there is no goal of understanding.
The goals discussion is interesting, it's meta-,
and I was not (consciously) thinking about it at the start of this thread.
Of course, it's a very big and deep topic.

The river story has some connections to Putting oneself in someone's shoes .

Post subject:
Post #30 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:38 pm 
Honinbo

oca wrote:
that was a revelation...
With that new knowledge, I cannot resist to...
After a few ( :roll: ) loses, I finally ... understood ;) ...
so I went for another rule...
It seems to me that we should do things...
every level has its own understanding...
Hi oca, very nice. :)

Post subject:
Post #31 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:43 pm 
Honinbo

Hi skydyr, Bill, thanks for the updates.
Bill Spight wrote:
I first heard that it takes around 9,000 hours to become an expert in the late 1960s.
Inflation is infectious...? :)

Post subject:
Post #32 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 pm 
Honinbo

John Fairbairn wrote:
In any case, the burden of expectations placed on western go teaching
is far too high because too many people want go in cartons now.
This is good stuff; this is good understanding.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
Hi EdLee,
EdLee wrote:
schawipp wrote:
A dan-level teacher may find it pretty obvious that these groups are weak
and can not imagine that a beginner still struggles in recognizing that obvious fact.
Hi schawipp,

[...]

Yep, I agree. However when sitting on the lower orders of magnitude on a logarithmic scale, the higher orders become somehow indistinguishable (and maybe also vice versa). When I speak of "Dan-level players" it means that I will always get a decent crushing when playing them without handicap. Maybe the crushing from a 7d would be even more subtle than from a 1d but the overall result would be pretty much the same - at least for me from my current point of view ;-).

Post subject:
Post #34 Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:29 am 
Honinbo

schawipp wrote:
when sitting on the lower orders of magnitude on a logarithmic scale,
Your understanding is not bad here. :)
schawipp wrote:
I will always get a decent crushing when playing them without handicap.
Indeed. But taking 6H from a 1d (you have a chance) versus a pro (no chance),
you can feel the difference, I suspect. :)

Post subject:
Post #35 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:30 pm 
Honinbo

Culture and Etiquette
I don't go to the movie theater much these days.

Here in the US, they usually show some previews before the main attraction.
Somewhere in there is a message to the audience: please refrain
from talking or using their phones.

They also make similar announcements before live stage performances ( plays or musicals, etc.).

In Japan, the situation is slightly different.
Even on crowded subway trains, buses, or in public restaurants, you don't hear
the incessant beeps, chimes, rings, or chatting on phones.
All phones are either off, muted, or on silent vibrate.
If a call must be answered, the patron quickly exits the restaurant.
Nobody needs to be told, before every movie or performance, to be courteous to others.

I wonder what's the situation in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy,
and other European countries ? ( I seem to recall Dame Helen Mirren, during a recent play --
where she reprised her role as QE2 -- she had to break character
to tell someone to turn off their phone ? )

Someone ( I think it was Bill ) recently noted that a Go club is not a dojo.
This is true. However, there are some nice things we can share.

I like these:

• Begin with rei and end with rei ( 礼 ).
    This translates to a simple Hi, a greeting, Have a nice game, onegaishimasu, or a gentle nod.
    At the end, thank the opponent for their time and effort.
    Accept the result, win or loss, with grace.
    Don't gloat, and don't be a sore loser.
  • I take responsibility for my moves. Every move. No undo.
    I find it respectful to Go, to my opponent, and to myself not to take back any moves.
    ( Sure, if both players agree beforehand to allow infinite takebacks, it's their privilege.
    And of course, it's different when helping complete beginners. We are not fascists. )
  • The Golden Rule. ( Don't act like a jerk. )
  • Don't be annoying -- examples:
    Don't play with the stones in the bowl excessively ( too much clacking ).
    Don't make otherwise annoying distractions.
  • Sit nicely. Sit still. Don't fidget -- don't shake your legs.
  • Some postures exude grace and elegance.
    Others... don't.(1) Choose wisely.
  • Place each stone nicely on a point. If it's way off, fix it.
    ( It's a continuum and we find the balance. One extreme is very sloppy placements, always off the mark.
    Another is OCD tendencies, touching every stone, even the opponent's.
    Find a good balance, just like in Go itself. )
  • No kibitz. ( If both players enjoy discussing the moves
    during the game, hey, more power to them. Find a good balance. )
  • Learn when to resign. ( A toughie, a perennial favorite topic here. )

A wise friend, a history professor, reminded me just yesterday:

• Virtue: public good before self-interest.
  • Corruption: self-interest before public good.

_____
(1)
Attachment:
bad_shape1.jpg
bad_shape1.jpg [ 24.3 KiB | Viewed 10897 times ]
Attachment:
bad_shape2.jpg
bad_shape2.jpg [ 24.63 KiB | Viewed 10896 times ]

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, oca

Post #36 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
It has been 40 years since Robert Pirsig discussed the Greek concept of areté in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (1974). What he understood then may still resonate with some of you youngsters. :lol:

See http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_M._Pirsig

IMHO, this book is a classic, but de gustibus non est disputandum.

This post by Aidoneus was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #37 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 pm 
Honinbo

Hi Aidoneus,

Thanks for the reminder. I've wanted to read that book for years now... some day I'll get to it. :)

Post #38 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
EdLee wrote:
Hi Aidoneus,

Thanks for the reminder. I've wanted to read that book for years now... some day I'll get to it. :)

Ed, I really think that you would enjoy taking the ride with Pirsig. (Perhaps not so much his follow-up book, Lila. The difference between pointing at the moon and giving a chemical analysis, if you follow my meaning.) As I came from a mathematical background, Pirsig's discussion of the philosophical ideas of Henri Poincaré (a hero of mine) in relation to the concept of quality inspired in me a much deeper appreciation of Eastern ideas and led me to take a long random walk through translations of Chinese literature. Of course, like most everything, I am a mere dilettante. :roll:

Post subject:
Post #39 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:27 pm 
Honinbo

Aidoneus wrote:
Henri Poincaré (a hero of mine)
Hi Aidoneus, I'm sure you can appreciate Poincaré, Perelman,
and Wiles' math infinitely more than I can. :)
That's very nice. One of mine is Feynman. :mrgreen:

YouTube has a lot of nice stuff: Poincaré Conjecture -- Numberphile

Post subject:
Post #40 Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:58 pm 
Honinbo

Culture and Etiquette, 2

Disclaimer: yes, over-generalization is bad,
and we have to be careful of anecdotal evidence.

(a)
First-hand observations: reactions of people when introduced to a Go pro:

• In the US: blank stare. (1)
  • In China: "Oh, hi. You must be pretty smart." (2)
  • In Japan: ( *gasp* ) (3)

I wonder what's the situation in European countries ?
_______
(1) My experience from 2003 to now. About Go, in general.
I guess this is about 99+% of the general public ?
Of course, we're not talking about at a US Go Congress.
(2) General impression, not necessarily those exact words.
(3) 2011, Kyoto. Two teenage brothers, one in university, the other in high school.
Their actual reaction probably included some audible "ええ...!" or "へへ...!"
2011, Japan Consulate, Los Angeles.
Maybe no "ええ...!" from the Japanese woman official,
but something like, "You are a professional Go player? Wow."
(b)
Please re-read Disclaimer at top of this post. :)

I heard this story just tonight:

One pro's impression of some adults' reactions when
the pro said, "This move is bad; don't play it." --

• German students: "OK." They actually followed the advice in their future games.
  • French students: "OK." But they continued to play their own moves in subsequent games.
  • US students: "Wait a minute -- you mean to tell me...?!"

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next