Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Tis the season here in the US.

Tax season, that is.

Someone left this voice message on my home phone this morning,
Tuesday Mar 25, 2015 around 08:35 am.

I used an iPhone voice app to record it off my ancient home phone. :)

( The original file extension was .mpa but the filter rejected it,
so I renamed it to .mpg and it was accepted. )

BTW, IRS PSA

Attachments:
Tax_fun.mpg [534 KiB]
Downloaded 381 times

Post subject: Re: Tax fun
Post #2 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I regularly get ones for "Microsoft Windows Malware Service" and "Mastercard-Visa Fraud Division" and similar. It must work since it's been going on for a year and a half or more here.

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Boidhre,

Luckily for me I haven't received those voice messages yet.

Some years ago, they passed some anti-spam laws,
and the amount of junk calls seemed to have dropped.
But every campaign season, they flare up. :)

Post subject: Re:
Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:24 pm 
Oza

EdLee wrote:
Hi Boidhre,

Luckily for me I haven't received those voice messages yet.

It's live calls here. I have someone who cannot pronounce my (common Irish) name trying to tell me they're working for an Irish bank. It's eh, annoying. At least I can tell I can hang up within a couple of seconds.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
And in related news:

The weird tax trick the IRS doesn't want you to know about.

You looked!
:mrgreen:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 3 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, EdLee

Post #6 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:54 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Well, in keeping with the topic of the thread you may find this interesting reading. I found it two days ago.

http://www.dailypaul.com/335548/income- ... -you-think

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:07 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
DrStraw wrote:
Well, in keeping with the topic of the thread you may find this interesting reading. I found it two days ago.

To correct an error in that article, the British chancellor has not abolished the annual tax return, he has said the paper version of it will be abolished and it must be done online (which is currently a choice). I've not looked at the details but I wouldn't welcome that announcement with unbridled joy as previous reforms of electronicisation to the tax system for businesses have meant one has to use various complicated formats which can require purchase of expensive accountancy software, whereas before one could submit paper accounts.

(Btw when I first read that I thought he was complaining about having to pay 9% of his gross income as tax, to which I thought Boo hoo you lucky sod!, this year I'm paying about 50%)

Post #8 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
Btw when I first read that I thought he was complaining about having to pay 9% of his gross income as tax, to which I thought Boo hoo you lucky sod!, this year I'm paying about 50%)

Well the highest rate is only 45% and that only kicks in at £150,000, though the 40% rate kicks in at about £40,000 which seems to mean the really big earners are getting away with murder.

But the real problem is that this is only income tax. In addition we pay 25% VAT on almost everything, there's a huge slew of very high excise duties on petrol and alcohol, there's the whopping council tax, there's stamp tax on house sales, inheritance tax, air passenger tax, etc etc etc etc etc. Even the BBC licence fee amounts to a tax. It is therefore closer to the truth to say that, except for those lucky enough "earn" enough to shave off a surplus that can go under the mattress, we all pay 100% tax. Poor sods!

Post #9 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 am 
Oza

Uberdude wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

To correct an error in that article, the British chancellor has not abolished the annual tax return, he has said the paper version of it will be abolished and it must be done online (which is currently a choice). I've not looked at the details but I wouldn't welcome that announcement with unbridled joy as previous reforms of electronicisation to the tax system for businesses have meant one has to use various complicated formats which can require purchase of expensive accountancy software, whereas before one could submit paper accounts.

(Btw when I first read that I thought he was complaining about having to pay 9% of his gross income as tax, to which I thought Boo hoo you lucky sod!, this year I'm paying about 50%)

The Irish online system for that just has you log into the Revenue site and fill out an electronic version and submit it on there. The business portal is compatible with your standard expensive bits of accounting software but you can file most/all forms manually on there if you want.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Btw when I first read that I thought he was complaining about having to pay 9% of his gross income as tax, to which I thought Boo hoo you lucky sod!, this year I'm paying about 50%)

Well the highest rate is only 45% and that only kicks in at £150,000, though the 40% rate kicks in at about £40,000 which seems to mean the really big earners are getting away with murder.

But the real problem is that this is only income tax. In addition we pay 25% VAT on almost everything, there's a huge slew of very high excise duties on petrol and alcohol, there's the whopping council tax, there's stamp tax on house sales, inheritance tax, air passenger tax, etc etc etc etc etc. Even the BBC licence fee amounts to a tax. It is therefore closer to the truth to say that, except for those lucky enough "earn" enough to shave off a surplus that can go under the mattress, we all pay 100% tax. Poor sods!

I was counting stamp duty (I've just bought a house), income tax and national insurance to reach that 50% level of my gross income paid as tax, but wasn't counting VAT (it's not 25% yet!), council tax, excise duties and the others so including those it'd be even more. But is the licence fee a tax? I don't pay it as I don't watch broadcast TV.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
In Finland most regular income earners don't have to file anything. Everyone gets a prefilled return, and if there is nothing to add, nothing needs to be done. I believe this covers majority of people.

In Finland the TV licence was recently changed to YLE-tax (YLE = Finnish equivalent of BBC). Everyone pays it, regardless of whether you watch TV or not.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am 
Oza

tj86430 wrote:
In Finland most regular income earners don't have to file anything. Everyone gets a prefilled return, and if there is nothing to add, nothing needs to be done. I believe this covers majority of people.

In Finland the TV licence was recently changed to YLE-tax (YLE = Finnish equivalent of BBC). Everyone pays it, regardless of whether you watch TV or not.

Yeah, here you only need to submit forms if you've income outside of your main job, are self-employed or want to claim tax reliefs. We're also bringing in the same kind of "broadcasting tax" to replace the TV licence as too many homes forego the TV and it's an annoying tax to enforce apparently.

The marginal rate (i.e. tax on next Euro earned) for someone earning €34k a year is 51% from the usual income tax (40%), social insurance (4%) and an additional income tax (7%). For anyone earning over €70k approx it's 52%. We've been discussing a third tax band but there's a lot of debate over it as most suggested levels would catch a lot of dual income families. The issue of wealthy people avoiding tax here mostly revolves around incomes not covered by income tax, social insurance etc.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Quote:
Some years ago, they passed some anti-spam laws, and the amount of junk calls seemed to have dropped.

Of course, the legislators exempt political campaign robo-calls from these laws, and every election season we get tons of recorded messages imploring us to vote for or against candidates or issues.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:52 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
In Sweden, families argue about taxes over dinner, or maybe it's just my family?
Idk, taxes may be not fun, but try to think of it this way, If you have nothing to pay, you would probably have no house to sleep at, clothes to wear, food to eat, you get the picture. (Unless you have a really rich relative lol)

Post #15 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:57 am 
Oza

janne wrote:
In Sweden, families argue about taxes over dinner, or maybe it's just my family?

I've yet to meet a nationality that doesn't like to complain about taxes. They're either too low on someone or too high on them. :P

Post #16 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Boidhre wrote:
janne wrote:

I've yet to meet a nationality that doesn't like to complain about taxes. They're either too low on someone or too high on them. :P

The fact that I need to pay a freelancing tax (well, technically it is a freelancing fee because it's only vaguely related to your income as a freelancer, in addition to VAT on what I produce/sell/invoice AND normal "worker" tax) still makes me angry at this f***ing country.