It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you beat the hard level on this little board game ?
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I am in general into board games and AI stuff as well, so I managed to make an app for the little board game I used to play when was a child.

Can you beat the hard level ? :) (Sorry, only for Android for now). You can search Luziky on google play or use the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sixstones

Last edited by geome on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Can you beat the hard level on this little board game ?
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:35 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 8
KGS: 6 kyu
If you have the time, could you please share a few words on the strategies we would apply to win?

:study:

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:46 pm 
Beginner

Assuming you are familiar with the rules now, otherwise let me know if you need more help there. Besides that, it is all about calculation I think...If you calculate more steps than the computer does you win :).

The game is much easier than go, so probably if someone spent time it can be completely solved, and I am interested in the solution. :)

lemonpie wrote:
If you have the time, could you please share a few words on the strategies we would apply to win?

:study:

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
I really tried to find it in Store, but not succesful.

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:00 pm 
Beginner

hmm, thats strange. This link works for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sixstones

When I searched Luziky in Google play, it comes up as well.
sybob wrote:

Last edited by geome on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 9
I tried it. I only beat it on the easy level a couple of times. Didn't try anything more difficult.

Nice little game. I thought it was good combination of simplicity but allowing you to calculate in a pretty simple and straightforward way. On the other hand, if you aren't paying attention, it's easy to get caught out which makes it challenging in a fun way.

My comment would be that the rules seem unclear to me. I had to play around a bit to find out that the elimination could work sideways (presumably backwards also). The rule also seems to imply that whatever the orientation the man stepping into position for the elimination has to come from an adjacent file or row, but in game play it appears he can also step up to his friend on the same file to achieve the elimination. Also, it doesn't matter whether the space is behind the enemy man or behind your own pair of men, but this wasn't clear in the rules.

Also, I realize it doesn't really fit with the rules, but after I saw the variations above, I expected the following to work,
0XXX ---> -XX- (that is in a setup with 3 guys in a row and an enemy at the head, moving the back guy away doesn't work to eliminate the enemy at the head.)

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
geome wrote:
hmm, thats strange. This link works for me. (comes the first one).
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sixfighters

sybob wrote:

I can use your link on my laptop, but I made several searches on my mobile device, using various search terms.
Perhaps it is because you require a Google login?

Post #8 Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:24 pm 
Beginner

globulon wrote:
I tried it. I only beat it on the easy level a couple of times. Didn't try anything more difficult.

Nice little game. I thought it was good combination of simplicity but allowing you to calculate in a pretty simple and straightforward way. On the other hand, if you aren't paying attention, it's easy to get caught out which makes it challenging in a fun way.

My comment would be that the rules seem unclear to me. I had to play around a bit to find out that the elimination could work sideways (presumably backwards also). The rule also seems to imply that whatever the orientation the man stepping into position for the elimination has to come from an adjacent file or row, but in game play it appears he can also step up to his friend on the same file to achieve the elimination. Also, it doesn't matter whether the space is behind the enemy man or behind your own pair of men, but this wasn't clear in the rules.

Also, I realize it doesn't really fit with the rules, but after I saw the variations above, I expected the following to work,
0XXX ---> -XX- (that is in a setup with 3 guys in a row and an enemy at the head, moving the back guy away doesn't work to eliminate the enemy at the head.)

Thanks for trying this and the detailed feedback!
Agree the rule description is not very clear. Maybe some examples could help but I wanted to squeeze the explanation into that tiny alert window so it went like that... On the other hand, people can figure out the rules after one game or two so it is probably not a big issue :). The point on backing out should eliminate is interesting, its not a valid elimination in the rules I played but sounds sensible and makes a different game probably.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:03 am 
Beginner

Update:
1. Changed the name as Luziky. @sybob, not sure this would help.. indeed I sigNed in with Google account before I searched in Google play.
2. Added more details in help(rules).

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:46 pm 
Beginner

It seems someone now can easily beat the hard level :), 12-0. Appreciate this is not easy... I tend to find it slightly easier to start as second but still 12-0 is pretty hard to achieve.

Not sure if the player is from here.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
Maybe it's me (I checked, 12 wins against hard). I was a bit surprised that my mobile is apparently communicating with you. I just learnt something. There was no prompt before installing (usually I get prompted that an app needs access to phone directory, ID, bank account data, youtube & browser history etc, which usually means that I don't install the app. I was very happy that your app didn't ask for these special powers.). So this seems like standard procedure for apps in the play store and doesn't need special privileges.

Anyway, I like the app. Winning against hard is not too difficult. Occasionaly it makes obvious mistakes. I never lose against it, because there is no resign button. I simply restart the game, when I get into trouble. The score is more like 12 to 200. At the beginning I was sure, that grumpy is easier than happy, now I'm not that sure anymore.

Also I got caught in some draws. There should be a possibility to offer a draw (if it is a generic 3 against 3, I'm sure nobody can force a win. Also 2 against 1 is a draw in some conditions, methinks), and if there is a 3fold repetition it should become a draw automatically. Another improvement would be the marking of the last move. And I wouldn't mind if the AI resigned if hopelessily behind (or have this optional). One thing I like is the absence of an undo-button. And the UI feels good.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 pm 
Beginner

bayu wrote:
Maybe it's me (I checked, 12 wins against hard). I was a bit surprised that my mobile is apparently communicating with you. I just learnt something. There was no prompt before installing (usually I get prompted that an app needs access to phone directory, ID, bank account data, youtube & browser history etc, which usually means that I don't install the app. I was very happy that your app didn't ask for these special powers.). So this seems like standard procedure for apps in the play store and doesn't need special privileges.

Anyway, I like the app. Winning against hard is not too difficult. Occasionaly it makes obvious mistakes. I never lose against it, because there is no resign button. I simply restart the game, when I get into trouble. The score is more like 12 to 200. At the beginning I was sure, that grumpy is easier than happy, now I'm not that sure anymore.

Also I got caught in some draws. There should be a possibility to offer a draw (if it is a generic 3 against 3, I'm sure nobody can force a win. Also 2 against 1 is a draw in some conditions, methinks), and if there is a 3fold repetition it should become a draw automatically. Another improvement would be the marking of the last move. And I wouldn't mind if the AI resigned if hopelessily behind (or have this optional). One thing I like is the absence of an undo-button. And the UI feels good.

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. I will try to improve the app on these points but this might take a while... Will come back to post here if have any updates.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:22 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
I'm really enjoying this little app. Some comments:

Show the current level being played
Does it automatically increment the level when you win? If not, maybe offer this feature.
Slide to move rather click and click to move (maybe make this an option)
Have a quit/restart button to speed up re-trying

Post #14 Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00 am 
Beginner

I have made a few changes based on the feedback here.
You can check out the details on the game link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sixstones

Roughly the main changes are:
1.Added a master level(stronger AI, deeper search depth).
2.Resign/Draw options now available.
3.Disable restarting without finishing previous games.(Not sure if everyone likes this :))
4.Optional effects: Show last move, sound etc.
5.Level setting moved into the new game item.

Hope you enjoy the game. If you are new to this, here is the Youtube demo video of me playing the game (terribly..)
Thanks for reading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A4veUc1gBY

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:07 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
Very nice!

Unfortunately, master takes too long to move on my device (samsung S3 mini), so I can't play it.

Net wins might not be a good criterion to rank the players. Somebody ho loses 400 times and wins 100 times should rank higher than somebody who got 2 losses.

Starting a new game without resigning should be possible until the player (and not the AI) makes his first move (now it can only be done before any player makes a move).

Post #16 Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:21 am 
Beginner

bayu wrote:
Very nice!

Unfortunately, master takes too long to move on my device (samsung S3 mini), so I can't play it.

Net wins might not be a good criterion to rank the players. Somebody ho loses 400 times and wins 100 times should rank higher than somebody who got 2 losses.

Starting a new game without resigning should be possible until the player (and not the AI) makes his first move (now it can only be done before any player makes a move).

Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the app with some small changes.
Master level worked ok when I tested on my device. Some move can be slow but usually it is within 5 seconds. But this could depend on the device I think.

On rating, yes, the current one is not very good...Need to do more research...

On the last point, I added a game type: Ranked / Unranked. Unranked games can restart while ranked games have the restriction.
Hope this is useful.